The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

1989 40 hp JOHNSON problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomengland

City/Region: Winona
State or Province: MN
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: 1989 40 hp JOHNSON problem Reply with quote

Hey c-brats: I have a problem with my 1989 40 hp Johnson motor. I went fishing today on the Mississippi River. I was able to catch 2 walleyes. When I got to the boat ramp and shut the motor off, I heard something running on the motor. Pulled off the cover and the starter motor was still running but it was not engaging. So I pulled the kill switch and it was still running. Finally disconnected the wire to the battery terminal and the starter motor shut off. It sounds like a bad solenoid or starter issue. What do you all think? It still was a perfect day on the river. It sure beats working.

Thomas England, DVM
Winona MN
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The relay was stuck closed. That circuit is wired directly to the battery. The "kill" is the lower current draw which activates the relay. Hopefully a new relay, will take care of it. I don't remember the circuit on that specific motor, but it is very possible that the current relay and solenoid are combined. You will want to work from the high current (heavy wire) input into the starter motor, back.

It is still possible that there is a problem with the "ignition switch" since you still have current to the starter circuit, even though the "Kill " switch is disengaged. It just shuts down the ignition circuit.

When you hook up the battery, again, does the starter motor begin to spin? Next, when you turn the "ignition switch" to "Start" does the bendix gear engage?

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
tomengland

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bob: I went in the garage and connected the terminals and the starter motor was not turning any more. I do not get it!!! My 40 hp is a tiller model on my lund fishing boat. At the boat ramp, I pushed the starter button and the gear did not engaged at that time. I am not sure what is going on.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomengland wrote:
Dr. Bob: I went in the garage and connected the terminals and the starter motor was not turning any more. I do not get it!!! My 40 hp is a tiller model on my lund fishing boat. At the boat ramp, I pushed the starter button and the gear did not engaged at that time. I am not sure what is going on.

Not too surprising. Relays can become stuck for a number of reasons. Heat is one. Corrosion is another, depending on the type and construction of the relay, week springs, damage to the contacts etc.

Next to see if at this time, you hit the starter, and see if the starter engages, (be ready to kill the engine, unless you have the water hooked up. See if the starter motor continues to run.
tomengland

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Bob: I went to try to start the motor, but the battery was weak. Are the relay in the starter? i noticed last weekend, I could hear the starter gear kicking in once when the motor was running. Maybe I will order a new starter. I have not replaced it yet. I will charge the battery over night and let you know on Saturday. Thanks Bob.
drbridge

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Susan Marie
Photos: Susan Marie
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have experienced this exact scenario on my 30 HP Evinrude (same as Johnson). It is a stuck solenoid/bendix and is caused by corrosion. Sprayed it down with wd40 and exercised it. Have had many trouble free hours of use from the motor since doing this.
Hope this helps.

tomengland

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks C-brats. Went to the local marine and described the symptoms. He thought it was the solenoid. Found one in his back room full of dust for $20. Installed a new starter battery and solenoid. Trusty old 40 HP fired right away and problem solved!!!! (so far). Fishing for walleyes tomorrow.

Thomas England
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: