View previous topic :: View next topic  
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject: Would you like to play a game? Reply with quote

Ok, that was in my best computer voice . So my folks left the dock today on their 44ft. Atlantic. It has a tan canvas top and enclosed fly bridge. The boat has a blue strip and a 13ft whaler hanging from the back. They are on a trip for the summer. Left la Conner today and headed to where ever they want working to the north end of Vancouver Island . So as a worried son of two 70 year olds I was wandering if the brats would keep a eye out for them along the way. You get 1 point for boat spotting, 2 points for laying eyes on the folks themselves and 10 points for talking to them. if its afternoon and dad is drinking wine you are on your own if you bring up religion, politics, current events or history. i am not responsible for your feelings or safety. No letting on that you are reporting back to me. I will have them on AIS for as long at they got signal but would really like a eyes on report when I can get one.

Let me make it clear that I am not worried about them because the are clueless or helpless. My father can repair anything, and yes I mean anything. Hes not a engineer but hes has embarrassed the hell out of so many he should teach the subject, and has in a less then formally setting. Not too worried about them handling the boat either but I have been know to call it the marine queen over the last few years. I believe that practice makes us better seamen and they have not had enough practice tied to the dock in La Conner. They are both active pilots and in good health for their age. Its not that I am worried its that I am their son.

So the game starts today and they are swinging on anchor in Friday harbor as of noon today. The name of the boat is ENDLESS. approach at your own risk.

TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool game, neater idea!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
You should have gotten them a Delorme InReach--so you could track them,and still send messages every now and them.

Wonder what they thought when Tom got his first boat?

Being an 80 year old, I have been on both end of these "concerns"...

You is being a good son! Great laugh reading the post!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting a big charge out of your concern. As a 72 year old, I can tell you that you have good reason to be alert, but probably not concerned. My children are always concerned when my spouse and I take a long trip by car or by boat. So we use a program called GLYMPSE that allows them to track our trips in real time from our cell phone GPS. It is very effective for road travel. If you are using the term Pilot meaning as in airplane, then you have good reason to be super concerned. As an X-Pilot, at 65 years of age I hung up that whole world because I could see that I simply no longer had 150 mile per hour reactions and skills anymore. Fortunately, my boat life at 6.5 miles per hour fits much better with my thought processes. I also gave up my motorcycle two years ago. I'd say that of all the hobbies that us older folks can have that we will be the safest with it would be cruising a boat a leisure speeds. Yes, weather etc. must still be watched carefully, tides and such, but if your parents boat has modern electronics, they should have all of the information and time needed to make good decisions. At age 72 I feel no different inside this aging robot I call a body than I did when I was in my twenties. My "robot" on the other hand disagrees. I had to "analytically" give up the airplanes and motorcycles. I didn't to it because I thought I could be a hazard to myself and others, rather because I was open to the possibility that I could be a hazard based upon age and accident statistics.

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I can intercept them at Port Hardy. They go that far?

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure where that turn-around point is that the kid starts worrying about the parents... but we have been through it on both sides. I agree with getting your folks a SPOT or Delorme device so they can press a button and you will know exactly where they are and that they are OK.

Our daughter said the SPOT was wonderful peace of mind for her when we are out and about. I recall that phone call when we had been away from civilization for about 10 days (pre-SPOT), and told our kid she wouldn't hear from us for "a week or so"... "Where have you two been? I have been worried sick! You are three days late in calling! ..."

I just had to laugh.

You know how capable you feel about taking care of yourself, Tom? Yeah, that's just how your folks feel. Aging may make a difference in our physical capabilities, but we find work-arounds for that.

Good game!
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AIS on the boat, my brother and I bought, was the compromise to a spot or other device. Dad still flyes close formation group shows during the year with the Cascades war birds and other groups. Used to fly with the Red Star group. Dad with smoke on in the red and yellow CJ-6 Dwight- mom and dad will be working their way north around port hardy. Part of my concern is that they dont have a travel plan. Where ever the tide takes them is the plan. If they get to port hardy and the weather is nice I would not be surprised if they kept going. I also think this is just a good way for the folks to meet people that they might not other wise.

So lets get the points going. I will put up a bottle of wine to the winner with the most points by the seattle boat show.
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you like to play a game? Reply with quote

What's the name of your folks boat? If people could look it up on AIS, they'd have better odds of finding them.
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its in the first post. Endless is the name
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I probably won't spot the Elliotts unless they trailer that boat to the Sammamish McDonalds. But I think I'll chime in here with a somewhat related problem. Our son and his family are moving from WA to Mass. They have three cars. To make a long story somewhat shorter, I would like to drive one of them across and fly back. They have vetoed this simply because I'm 80. I countered that I have a clean driving record etc. but no. So now I said I would take my wife so she can visit her brothers in Jersey and upstate NY. Still no. (I tried the "final big adventure" and "bucket list" arguments but still no luck.) Help me out here. Give me some verbal ammunition to get them to allow me to hit the road, so to speak.Thanks.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob for the record my first boat that i owned was a flat jon boat about 16 ft with a 5 hp motor. It was my 16th birthday present. First time out on lake Arlington texas I spent the day trying to get away from my father who was driving around with binos keeping a eye on me. I was use to using my grandfathers boat in the sierras. I mix Grandpa a martian about 9am and he would let me use the boat the rest of the day-- since I was 10. We just did not tell dad.
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some more of the old mans plane. mom flies it too.]
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dotnmarty wrote:
Unfortunately I probably won't spot the Elliotts unless they trailer that boat to the Sammamish McDonalds. But I think I'll chime in here with a somewhat related problem. Our son and his family are moving from WA to Mass. They have three cars. To make a long story somewhat shorter, I would like to drive one of them across and fly back. They have vetoed this simply because I'm 80. I countered that I have a clean driving record etc. but no. So now I said I would take my wife so she can visit her brothers in Jersey and upstate NY. Still no. (I tried the "final big adventure" and "bucket list" arguments but still no luck.) Help me out here. Give me some verbal ammunition to get them to allow me to hit the road, so to speak.Thanks.

You are otherwise healthy, you'll drive slowly. You changed his dang diapers. What more does he need? If that doesn't work, tell him I'll go with. Then we'll put a cardboard cutout of me in the car and you can take pictures of "us" together along the way. Laughing
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:

You are otherwise healthy, you'll drive slowly. You changed his dang diapers. What more does he need? If that doesn't work, tell him I'll go with. Then we'll put a cardboard cutout of me in the car and you can take pictures of "us" together along the way. Laughing

Sounds like a plan. And to make time I can use the cardboard cutout in the HOV lane.
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dotnmarty wrote:
Help me out here. Give me some verbal ammunition to get them to allow me to hit the road, so to speak.Thanks.

Well, Marty - I do not want to encourage dangerous behavior, nor do I wish to incur the wrath of the kids, but I suggest you tell them you are going anyway and just thought it would be helpful to everyone if you went together so you only have to drive one way.

I would further offer that frequenting McDonalds probably has more long term risk than cross country driving.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: