The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

searchlight

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
k3nlind

City/Region: Layton
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Topkick
Photos: Topkick
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: searchlight Reply with quote

In another thread Sea Wolf wrote:

Quote:
bow pulpit mounted remote controlled searchlight

Been looking to add a searchlight to my CD... sure would like to see some photos and know more about these from those who have them installed... manufacturer, cost, suggested mounting locations, etc.

E.C.H.O.

bcnu,

ken
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k3lind-

Here's a couple of photos of my set up where the remote controlled light is mounted up on a stainless plate welded across the forward top of the bow pulpit":

Photo 1

Photo 2

The light is mounted there so that there won't be any night blinding glare off the pulpit as you get when the light is mounted up on the roof or radar arch. The point here is that if you're searching for a really hard to spot buoy or something else in total darkness, glare off the bow pulpit or any other chromed or light colored surface "blinds" you because of it's relative brightness in the foreground. In all truth, however, most of the time most people are not in situations where this is critical, but when you are, you'll appreciate not having the glare.

The remote controlled lights are not cheap. The one I've got is about $400-$500, but others can be had from about $250 up.

If you go this route, you'll have to have someone weld (unless you fabricate it yourself and screw or rivet) it in place. Depending on who you can find to do the job, I'd guess it would cost $50-$100 to have a metal shop or rail shop do the job.

The electric wires for my searchlight are ducted into the tubes of the bow pulpit and then lead down through one of the bases into the cabin next to the helm, with the controls next to the wheel. You can see most of the control panel behind the wheel and below the windlass line counter in this photo:

Photo 3

Other approaches include paining or covering the bow pulpit with something black when you anticipate using a roof mounted light, or using a hand-held searchlight held out the window.

I also have flood lights mounted on the roof fore and aft, as well as a hand operated search light to the rear. They can be seen if you follow the very first photo link above for the next several photos in the album. All very useful depending on the situation. Side floodlights are next! Light up the night!

I also have a 7,000,000 candlepower portable search/flood light that works off a rechargeable battery and/or lighter adapter that cost a whole $25 at Costco and is much brighter than the $500-600 solution, but much harder to use by yourself.

Others will hopefully point out their set-ups and photos to you.

Try putting "searchlight" into the search engine on the home page here and on the C-Dogs site, and you'll find more details also available there!
Good Luck! Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
k3nlind

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx Joe...

BTW, what is the purpose of the blue or green line that runs around your bow pulpit on the deck below your searchlight?
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken-

The blue line (red in a later photo) is simply a bow line, or painter.

It's dead ended to the big cleat on the bow, then lead back on both sides and to small 4" cleats added just forward of the back end of the cabin where there is a raised area to divert water flow along the gunnel.

The tails hang down in the cockpit.

The twin lines are there so that I can readily have the bow line in my my hand as I exit the boat without having to go up to the bow to get it or tie a loose line on.

There cut long enough to do the job, but just short enough that if they accidently come loose underway, they won't float back into and foul the prop.

Easy set up that's cheap and works.

Good eye for noticing! Joe.
k3nlind

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx... I been 'walking the plank' so to speak to tie on a bow line... I'm gonna start doing this your way!
DodgeRam

City/Region: Vancouver Isl. CANADA
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: SeaRam
Photos: SeaRam
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice set up Joe , what is your candle power , don't have any clue about what to buy for search light. Have been told, that you have to have quite a bit of candle power in order to be happy with your search light , because of the price one has to buy the right one so it does not sit there just as an ornament. Gary
Sea Wolf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary- Its been a few years since my searchlight was installed. The Spotlight is 100,000 cp and the flood light 50,000 cp. There are more powerful lights on the market today, but these seem quite adequate for our purposes. (These are not lights of a size intended for the Coast Guard to use for search and rescue at night.)

The nature of the human eye is such that to see something as twice as bright, you have to have ten times the light, so if you want a twice as bright searchlight, you have to have ten times the candlepower, and therefore 10 times the amperage going through the bulb. Fortunately, the eye also accommodates low lighting situations, and can see in very limited light as long as its not blinded by glare. Bright lights in the cabin are a no-no.

A second approach to this problem is to buy a night vision device such as a monocular or pair of binoculars, but that's another subject. They vary a lot in price and performance between the three generations of development, and the West Marine Advisor, either in the catalogue or on line, would be a good place to investigate the subject.

A hand held searchlight plugged into the cigarette lighter attachment also works well, but requires one hand and may not be in the best position to avoid glare.

A teenager wearing a life vest atop the roof with a hand held light also works well (as long as the water's not too turbulent), but not all of us have that equipment on board. Hmmmmm.... Think you wife would be up to the "Statue of Liberty" routine in a cold, pouring rain? Probably the last time she'd be going out on the boat and the same for you!!! .....So your wife sold the boat and informed you that you were taking up square dancing, eh? See ya'!! Joe.
DodgeRam

City/Region: Vancouver Isl. CANADA
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: SeaRam
Photos: SeaRam
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Joe, know I can go shopping ! Gary
Zydecomo

City/Region: SHELBURNE
State or Province: VT
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: FanTC
Photos: FanTC
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:07 am    Post subject: searchlight Reply with quote

I recently purchased a searchlight from Cabelas that has a very large suction cup mount that I can stick on the roof of the cabin over the helm station in about 10 seconds. Just plug into 12 volt lighter. It has a wired remote control to be able to aim 270 degrees or so, including up and down. It work well and cost around $50 with mail in rebate. I'll look for the name brand next trip . The suction cup seems to be very powerful, holding the light firmly and it weighs less that a teenager on the roof.
Phil
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: searchlight Reply with quote

Zydecomo wrote:
I recently purchased a searchlight from Cabelas that has a very large suction cup mount that I can stick on the roof The suction cup seems to be very powerful, holding the light firmly
Phil

Don't trust it to hold! I had a "Go-Light" with a suction cup on my 16' Cruiser. Fortunately, I tried it at home first. "Suctioned" it on top of the cabin at night and the next morning the suction "had gone" and it was ready to slide off. I then used the mounting plate provide with it and made it secure.

When I ordered the 22' Cruiser from EQ Marine, I requested a "Go Light" to be mounted on the bow pulpit. The control for it is at the helm and there is a hand held remote control that can be used seperately. The pictures of the Go Light on both the 16' I had and the current 22' are in my photo album.

C-Brat #16
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: