View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jackie

City/Region: Ketchikan
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lil' Bit
Photos: Lil Bit
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: GPS advice sought Reply with quote

The C-dory I bought from Washington has a 2008 model Lowrance LMS 525c df unit on it. Of course the charts installed are for USA West. I looked up compatibility and everything I saw indicated that the Navionics Gold for Canada and Southeast Alaska would work in it. I ordered one from TigerGPS and here is what they say: "You will need a Navionics Plus chart for global regions. You will have to format your own chart areas through the Navionics chart installer found on the website."

At this point I'm not sure if that is something I want to do. Has anyone had experience doing this? Is it easy? I'm sure it is cheaper than buying a whole new set up, but isn't worth it if I'm not going to be able to get good information easily.

Before looking on line for chart cards I called one of the local marine stores. The owner talked to me at length about how much he hates Lowrance and Navionics and he doesn't carry either. He hates the products and especially their websites and customer service. I still looked for the chart, but now I'm wondering what to do. Any recommendations?

And another question: I haven't really sat and messed with the unit any beyond turning it on the first time, then face palming because I should have remembered it was from Washington. I have separate GPS and fishfinder units on my other boat, but this is dual function. Would I be able to use the depth finder function even with out a chart installed? It seems reasonable that I would, and I'll go play with that a bit, but thought I'd ask. My son-in-law uses the Navionics app on his phone a lot and I'll download that too. It isn't a replacement for a good GPS, but would be handy while I'm waiting, especially if the depth finder portion is still working. I'm really familiar with the areas I go, and for years fished in small boats that had no electronics, but I still would like to either get the Nav + card, if I can make it fit my area easily, or something new, as soon as I can.

Finally, If I do replace the unit and go with something other than Lowrance, do I need to replace the transducer?

Thanks,

Jackie
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m2cw

I would update to a new Garmin and transducer. A lot of improvements have occurred. I dont know where the unit is mounted but you could keep as backup. It is money well spent

BrentB

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

again m2cw

A starting price point, West Marine has the following entry level items for $600 each

1. Garmin echoMap 74dv combo
7" screen, push button, BlueChart g2 charts, and traditional and DownVu transducer

2. Raymarine a78 with Chirp
7" screen, Chirp DownVision transducer , Navionics Gold charts
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you invest any more $$ into this unit, be sure it works. Not the easiest unit to use, but more than satisfactory for you use. Hopefully it came with the manual. If not you can download it off the internet.
http://www.lowrance.com/Root/Lowrance-Documents/LMS525CDF-520C_0151-461_120706.pdf

Lawrence did not have the best tech support back 8 years ago, but today it is as anyones. This GPS is a "legacy" unit. It is not supported, and no software updates, but if it works it should give a accurate positions.

The sounder should work (don't try it out of the water for any length of time.--you can disconnect the sounder cable if you want to play with it out of the water. Most likely the most modern depth finder will not work with the current transducer, but it should still be good.

You should turn on the GPS, and see if it gets an accurate Lattitude and Longitude. It will show the "world Map"--which is block outline, and not of much value. I did own a similar Lowrance, don't remember the exact procedure to bring up the Lattitude and Long. The Lowrance LMS 525 chip should give you the S. Alaska area, where you boat--but that chip is going to cost you close to $275! About half of what a new better unit will cost. I like Garmin, because they are easiest. The 74DV Brent mentioned is a good value, and currently on sale. There are several similar models.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
BrentB

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The devices I posted were to illustrate that affordable chartplotters and depth finders are plentiful in today's marketplace. However, the decision should be based on your needs: budget, location, boating use - pleasure or fishing, cruising, water depth, weather conditions,.... other factors

You might wish to upgrade to other models with additional features, add radar, sat weather ....... Maybe other electronics like the VHF radio and antennae needs upgrading.

Here is a page on Garmin's charts:
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/maps/on-the-water-maps/c452-c455-p1.html

Is BlueChart g2 HD suitable for your use or upgrade to BlueChart g2 Vision® HD

Why not go to a boating store like West Marine or others and look at the display models.

I am sorry but I dont agree with person who you spoke with discussing equipment and charts
With so many choices it can be confusing
RobLL

City/Region: Bremerton
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the Seattle Boat show I was complaining about the manual for my Lowrance. The tech told me not to use it, it is terrible. But rather buy a DVD at the following link. I am not sure regarding my and your model number.

My instructor at the 12 session weekend navigator spoke very guardedly regarding the Lowrance. I intend to use the Lowrance for radar and depth, speed, and switch to either an iPad or PC for navigation.

http://doctorsonar.com/

ps - since our move we do not have a working DVD so have not bought this. Perhaps someone else has.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boat came with two older Lowrance depth sounders, one installed and one NIB that the prior owner never got around to installing. Neither with GPS. I sold both of them with their transducers on Ebay and that almost paid for a new Lowrance 5 with blah blah blah. I probably won't use all of the features, I simply wanted the least expensive one with the Navionics Gold charts. It was on sale at West Marine with a rebate from Lowrance. In the end, it only cost me about $200 to upgrade to a GPS/plotter unit. I had to install the new whizz bang transducer that shows a photo-shopped image of the bottom.

I love my paper charts, but I don't even have room to unroll one in the the cabin of a 16. I've been impressed with the Navionics card. It has shown some out of the way places in pretty good detail.

I chuckle when I turn it on. Every time a warning comes up that says not to use the chart plotter for navigation. Then what's it for? Mood lighting? Pretty colors? It should also say "Caution: Do not use the depth reading as an indication of depth or the GPS Lat/Lon as an indication of position."

I think that I now have the AIS hooked up correctly, but I won't know until I get on the water and headed for Friday Harbor. If so, then I have all the electronics that I want on a 16 foot boat.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had both the Navionics Gold chip and the Navionics + chip. IMHO, I like the Navionics product very much. The + chip gives you the option to add any area you want onto your chartplotter for a relatively low price compared to the Platinum series. Once you've selected your area and loaded onto your chip, you're good to go. Plus you can update other areas after your initial upload for an additional fee. I uploaded the area from Portland to the northern tip of Vancouver Island. Well worth it.

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a little time this AM to get to the manual. To find lat and Long, turn the unit on,
Quote:
To get to the Navigation Page: Press PAGES|→ or ← to NAVIGATION. Press ↓ or ↑|EXIT to select one of the two menu items.

In the lower right corner of the page should be the Lat and Long. If this is correct for your location, then the GPS is working correctly.

I didn't put the Navionics chart number--you can either use the platinum which coves S. Alaska --Platinum, with high detail at $275. (Navionics Platinum Plus South Alaska Digital Marine Map MSD/915P-2) The other option is to buy the micro card/adaptor/USB drive--which allows you to download 2 G of data from the web site and put it on the micro SD card--which is formatted to work in your plotter. This option allows download of any where in the US and Canada, with detail certainly equal to what you will need, in the 2 G allowance of this card.

The entire US Gold chart as above is: "Navionics MSD/NAV+NI Navoincs +" at a cost of $140 to $180. You download what you need--and not difficult to do.

Some of the Lawrence chart plotters of the 2006 vintage had issues, with the 2000 series GPS antennas, but yours should have the 3000 GPS antenna, and should be OK.

There are several videos on the net on how to use these vintage GPS/FF.
Jackie

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. No Cabelas or West Marines within a 2 hour flight from here, but we have two local marine stores and one of the top 10 (bottom 10?) smallest WalMarts in the world. I can at least get information and maybe demonstrations to help me decide. I have a Standard Horizon GPS on the boat I'm selling that I purchased in 2013, and an old Hummingbird fish finder that came with the boat. Those have both been great, but now I need a dual function unit or would need to buy two separate units, which I'd rather not do.

The Standard Horizon uses C-Maps. Any opinions about C-map vs Navionics? I really didn't give much credence to the gentleman's opinion about Lowrance and Navionics; I later emailed Navionics about the correct card for my unit and they answered right back. Plus, I'm always a bit put off and suspicious of any loud rant.

The card in the Lowrance I have is only 512 mb and it won't support more than 2G in a new card. The pre-loaded plus cards are more than that; I'd have to get a blank 2G card and download my own maps. Even then I've read that some machines are slow when using the 'bigger' card. It looks like new equipment is the way to go. I'm starting to feel for whomever first said a boat is just a hole in the ocean you throw money into! Sad I'm doubtful about the value of the model I have, but maybe I'll put it on e-bay anyhow. And I will look at the Garmin models. I know that's a good brand and is what the radio on onboard is, I believe.

Thanks again,
Jackie
Jackie

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, I hadn't seen your post before writing my last one. All the compatibility pages say the Gold should work in my unit, but both the Navionics folks and TigerGPS say 'no' - I need the blank 2G and to download my own. I wasn't sure how well that actually worked, but it's good to hear you think I can get all the detail I need that way. I think that's twice it's been stated in fact.

Updating the card and using the current GPS is certainly the way I'd prefer to go for the moment. I'll look at the videos and get some more information. My boat is in the water right now. My slip is paid up through August so I might as well use it. I'll download the manual on my iPad and go mess around with the system Friday, when it is supposed to be warm and dry(er), and see what all works. Then I'll go for an actual maiden voyage instead of just a jaunt around the harbor. Very Happy

Thanks,
Jackie
RichardM

City/Region: Akron
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Pangur Ban
Photos: Pangur Ban
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try calling Capt. Mike Macrae in New Jersey - 609-471-1756. He handles a lot of chart chips and may be able to set you up.
BrentB

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you are very handy and tech savvy. If you have all of required items, go for it!
Jackie

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard, I will give him a call if everything checks out this weekend and is working. thanks. It is helpful to talk to a real person.

Brent, I am not that tech savvy, really, but I'm learning. ( I just googled 'difference between GPS and chartplotter') I haven't known quite what to research, but the comments and answers I've gotten here have helped me get a better understanding. This place is a great resource. The Standard Horizon and the Humminbird are on the boat I'm trying to sell so I can't keep them. That would have solved my problem for sure.

Jackie
BrentB

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

new West Marine add with several chartplotter/FF

ex

SIMRAD
GO7 Touchscreen DownScan Fishfinder/ Chartplotter
GO7 Touchscreen DownScan Fishfinder/ Chartplotter with 83/200, 455/800kHz Transducer & Navionics+ Cartography
$500

looks like a good value

several YouTube videos to watch
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: