HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Sink and stove mod on a 19
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:26 pm    Post subject: Sink and stove mod on a 19 Reply with quote

So it's all downhill from here.... Smile

I dropped off my 19 this evening to my mechanic. He's gonna be installing a SS sink, 5 gallon fresh water tank and a drain/thru hull on the port aft seat area.

On the starboard side aft seat area he's installing a single propane burner grille.

Both the sink and the stove will be mounted in 3/4 inch custom starboard boxes.

I'm also having a blue LED drain light wired from Diablo Royale. That will match my current LED lighting.

http://boatpluglight.com/

SO.... My main concern is the thru hull. It's above the water line but I'm still freaking out!

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boat plug light makes me a little nervous - at least the way its presented on the company web site (not sure how you plan to use it). They say, "Light up your wake," and show boats underway with their wakes lit up in green, red, blue, etc.
Seems like (especially) a green or red lit up stern wake would conflict with navigation lights (white only to the stern; red to port; green to starboard).
South of Heaven

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
The boat plug light makes me a little nervous - at least the way its presented on the company web site (not sure how you plan to use it). They say, "Light up your wake," and show boats underway with their wakes lit up in green, red, blue, etc.
Seems like (especially) a green or red lit up stern wake would conflict with navigation lights (white only to the stern; red to port; green to starboard).

I purchased the blue one.
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, I wasn't thinking specifically of you (you probably wouldn't use any of them underway), but just musing that it seems like a poor product marketing/choice by the company. Mostly because they encourage a buyer to "light up your wake," and show many boats doing just that (vs. using them at a dock or something), and with red/green lights to boot.

Actually though, now I'm curious: What do they have you putting in place of your plug? I hope it's sturdy and not just a light bulb! (It must be...)
Lollygaggin

City/Region: Kelowna
State or Province: BC
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam,
You bring up a good point. Our water way has a large house boat that charters as a party boat and has bright red and green lights (possibly lasers) flashing on a large disco type ball that reflects the lights in all directions. Can you imagine the confusion one experiences on a cloudy moonless night when this thing appears on the horizon and you have no way of knowing what course it's on or even how big it is. It just keeps getting closer. Future encounters are a bit scary even when you know what this thing is.

I do think the colors that are associated with navigation should not be made available for other purposes, no matter how beautiful they are when shining through the water and reflecting off all the polished stainless steel.

Chris
South of Heaven

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
Just to clarify, I wasn't thinking specifically of you (you probably wouldn't use any of them underway), but just musing that it seems like a poor product marketing/choice by the company. Mostly because they encourage a buyer to "light up your wake," and show many boats doing just that (vs. using them at a dock or something), and with red/green lights to boot.

Actually though, now I'm curious: What do they have you putting in place of your plug? I hope it's sturdy and not just a light bulb! (It must be...)

I see boats all over the Boston Harbor with FULL underwater blue lights that light the water almost 360 degrees around. Yeah, I definitely wouldn't use red or green though. I agree that that seems like a bad idea. I think originally boaters were installing underwater lights for fishing purposes. Now most boats that I see with them are just looking for the "cool" factor. Lol. I'm in that category. I think it'll look awesome!

Yes, it's a sturdy plug. It's hard to tell from the website pictures. When you twist the base it expands/contracts the rubber plug...just like how a T handle works on the normal plugs that we all use. Then on the inside (fuel tank area), there is a quick disconnect to disconnect from the battery wire. Easy peezey.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get it. What does the light do?

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
South of Heaven

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Flamingo wrote:

Mark

Nothing. It's a purely aesthetic mod only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SjgH0eNAqs
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Flamingo wrote:

Mark

Here is a photo from the company website. "Light up the wake."

Seems to have it all: Underway on the platform, no (visible) PFD, can of [?beverage] in hand, and green lights astern...

But South of Heaven, just to not totally drag down your mods post - I bet your sink/stove will be super useful! On the through hull and being nervous: At least it's going through non-cored hull, plus above the static water line. I would specify that it be bronze or 316 stainless if it were me, but that's just personal preference.
South of Heaven

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam: But can't water still find it's way down into the cored parts of the hull if the seal isn't 100% water tight? I really hate to add a thru hull but when he was explaining the pros/cons of having a water discharge hose to me it seemed like a risk I was willing to take. It would've been a pain to have to empty the gray water after every trip.
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

South of Heaven wrote:
Sunbeam: But can't water still find it's way down into the cored parts of the hull if the seal isn't 100% water tight?

That should not be possible unless something is REALLY wrong. Here's why I say that: The solid (non-cored) topsides (which is where you will be putting your though hull) is a lamination of fiberglass and resin. Once that has cured, it's basically one solid piece.

Much further down (by the chine) the hull is made differently. There you have two "skins" (each of which is a fiberglass lamination) with core in between. There is really no practical way for water to make its way "though" a solid lamination, down to where the core is, then into the core.

The only reason I hedge slightly is something that is remotely possible but extremely, extremely unlikely. Maybe there is a .000000001% chance. That is that there could theoretically be a void in the layup (an air pocket between the various layers of cloth that make up the solid laminate. Then this pocket would have to extend down to the chine. THEN it would have to connect to the core. I am as concerned with core intrusion as anyone (have re-cored several boats... ugh), and even I would not worry about this. The boat is probably more likely to be hit by an asteroid.

That's not to say that care shouldn't be taken in installing a through hull, because it should. But water getting into the core from the location of a sink drain in one of the strakes is not really one of the potential problems with this particular install.

(This would be completely different if you were putting a through hull into the bottom of the boat below the waterline and in the cored area - whole different ball game.)
South of Heaven

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
South of Heaven wrote:
Sunbeam: But can't water still find it's way down into the cored parts of the hull if the seal isn't 100% water tight?

That should not be possible unless something is REALLY wrong. Here's why I say that: The solid (non-cored) topsides (which is where you will be putting your though hull) is a lamination of fiberglass and resin. Once that has cured, it's basically one solid piece.

Much further down (by the chine) the hull is made differently. There you have two "skins" (each of which is a fiberglass lamination) with core in between. There is really no practical way for water to make its way "though" a solid lamination, down to where the core is, then into the core.

The only reason I hedge slightly is something that is remotely possible but extremely, extremely unlikely. Maybe there is a .000000001% chance. That is that there could theoretically be a void in the layup (an air pocket between the various layers of cloth that make up the solid laminate. Then this pocket would have to extend down to the chine. THEN it would have to connect to the core. I am as concerned with core intrusion as anyone (have re-cored several boats... ugh), and even I would not worry about this. The boat is probably more likely to be hit by an asteroid.

That's not to say that care shouldn't be taken in installing a through hull, because it should. But water getting into the core from the location of a sink drain in one of the strakes is not really one of the potential problems with this particular install.

(This would be completely different if you were putting a through hull into the bottom of the boat below the waterline and in the cored area - whole different ball game.)

That makes me feel a bit more comfortable with the process then. Good info. Thanks
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I correct that you are not putting the light in the sink drain, but in the aft hull drain?

There have been some jurisdictions (mostly Florida) where citations have been given for any blue lights, because blue is reserved for law enforcement only

I personally don't see the reason for any underwater lights, unless you are attracting fish or bait fish. But there are a lot of things I don't "understand" about the modern world!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
South of Heaven

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Am I correct that you are not putting the light in the sink drain, but in the aft hull drain?

There have been some jurisdictions (mostly Florida) where citations have been given for any blue lights, because blue is reserved for law enforcement only

I personally don't see the reason for any underwater lights, unless you are attracting fish or bait fish. But there are a lot of things I don't "understand" about the modern world!

Yes, Bob. It's for the stern drain plug.
ZoeB

City/Region: Key West
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Zoe B
Photos: Zoe B
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can, get your mechanic to take some pictures of the mods while in the process.

Zoe B
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: