HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

crusing the trent severn
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slewfoot

City/Region: Greensboro
State or Province: NC
Vessel Name: Slewfoot
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 10:39 pm    Post subject: crusing the trent severn Reply with quote

slewfoot here, asking if anyone plans to cruise the trent severn this summer and when is a good time to do it. please contact me at 336 362 7948 or skip@servcetelephone.net
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did the Trent-Severn several years ago. Here's the link to Cruising the Trent-Severn Canal. It may give you some helpful info.

Boris
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blog posts of our time on the Trent-Severn...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2009/09/cruising-trent-severn.html

Keep clicking on "newer posts" at the bottom of the page, and you can read about daily travels on the Trent-Severn.

Great cruising, beautiful scenery, friendly people.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought about finding some water out east to play on too. lol. SO rather than sending the info private or talking on the phone (which you can do to), post it here for all to see! BTW, enjoyed the first two links! After looking at, wonder if there are ever any gatherings on the waterway?
Colby
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slewfoot, you won 't be disappointed - cruising The Trent is hands down the most enjoyable boating I have done. I have spent 6 weeks(4 trips) on it, always at the beginning of September. During July and August it can get busy - making it necessary to stop for the day earlier to find a spot on the lock wall. We just prefer the quieter, slower pace after Labour day. June may be a little warmer and not too busy as well.

The Parks Canada website will give you prices and can point you to a lot of information. Also Tourism Ontario will be happy to send you any info you need. Recommend getting a copy of the Ports Cruising Guide. I have posted a Trent album - with comments but you have to click on each picture to read them. Feel free to send me a pm if you have any questions.

Colby, I don't think I will get back to The Trent this year but I would love to see a CB get together or convoy either on The Trent or Rideau - maybe next year??

Regards, Rob

Derrickb

City/Region: Brisbane
State or Province: Other
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Slewfoot,
We are less than a week away from commencing the Trent Severn Waterway, as part of our Great Loop. We blog daily on balakera.com so you could follow our experiences there.
Derrick

Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: crusing the trent severn Reply with quote

We did the Trent Severn last year. I searched for a place to get a decent exchange rate for converting U.S dollars to Canadian dollars before the trip.
We ended up setting up a checking account with T.D. Bank which is Canadian owned. The exchange rate seemed to be the best we could find. The debit card which came with the account can be used in Canada using an ATM at the many TD bank locations along the way for no charge. You can withdraw up to 760 dollars per day. They can't provide balance information while in Canada. We just kept track with the check registrar. We found the exchange rate to change as the currencies sometimes daily. When returned, we took our Canadian dollars to a TD bank and they credited them per the current exchange back into our account. They will only handle the paper money (plastic up there). They did not want to exchange any coins like loonies and tooneys and any coins of lesser value.
On a previous trips going into a Canadian bank proved to be a mistake as they add on crazy charges, a real loser for us. Just a FYI
D.D.

colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past, with both Canada and Mexico, I've always just used my Discover or Master Card (insure the Master card of your choice does not tack on international charges. Capitol One does, so we dropped that card.). The card's automatically apply the current exchange rate, and other than a call once or twice (because we forgot to notify the card company earlier) to authorize charges so far away from home, we experienced no problems. A bigger issue was use of cell phone... We just didn't. Mr. Green Colby
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject: crusing the trent severn Reply with quote

Cash is king so they say. If you get away from the tourist traps there are places of business that don't except credit cards like local farmers markets and small businesses. If credit cards are your sole source for paying for things fine, but I always want to have a little cash on hand. I just wanted to mention another route. Credit cards don't work every where which is why I suggested the TD Bank ATM route if you saw the need to carry some cash.
D.D.
El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been many years since we cruised that delightful waterway. It is a special place. Have a wonderful cruise through beautiful country occupied by fine people. Take your time, kick back, and simply enjoy. Hope your weather is good. If it gets rainy, anchor out, and relax. Our best to you. El and Bill
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing this thread back to life as I would like to cruise the Trent Severn this summer, but hoping maybe there is someone else, or a few others looking to do the same. Ideally, this would happen some time during the months of Jun-Sep. And would be 5-10 days on the water.

I have looked through a couple other threads, but always nice to get the most up to date information. My questions right up front would be where's the best place to start/end (ie, need rig parking while on the water, and some where to launch/retrieve.) and what's really the deal with porta-potties on boats. (I have no desire to change mine to a pump out style, or to leave it behind.)

Colby
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are planning for a summer on the T/S and Rideau as well, so will monitor this thread to pick up whatever is available. Thanks.

Best,
Basey&Mary

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice links and fun posts. Good info here. Hope I can do this. Lots to consider, as I'm not adding a pumpout onto a 22 either.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: T-S Reply with quote

Colby/Casey/Slewfoot,
Doing the TS in Sept (5-10 days seems hurried to me, Colby) sounds like a hoot.
Added bonus, in 2017 the lock passages are free due to our Canuck friends 150th (that is worth about $240 each way). 'Mooring' by a lock is not included.
I'm sure your pumpout questions have been addressed as MANY sim boats have passed through.
I'd advocate a one-way passage with pick-up of trailers on one end or the other.
Happy Planning!
Hoot!
John

Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: T-S Reply with quote

[quote="gulfcoast john"]Colby/Casey/Slewfoot,
Doing the TS in Sept (5-10 days seems hurried to me, Colby) [quote]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Doing the entire T/S end to end and back in 10 days would require cruising an average of close to 50 miles and 9 locks per day(480miles and 88 locks). Not much time to smell the flowers along the way! Don't forget many of the channels are speed restricted as well(6mph). Some are actively patrolled - Orillia to Port Severn. Also in Sept. the lock hours are cut back. We started in the middle(Bobcaygeon) twice - from there to Lakefield first then next time from there to Port Severn. Last time we started in Lakefield. They have a free launch and free rig parking. No dock at the ramp though, you have to get on your boat have partner back you in and drive boat off then meet them at the town docks(where rig parking is).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Added bonus, in 2017 the lock passages are free due to our Canuck friends 150th (that is worth about $240 each way).

Just to clarify for those planning for other years - this would be the price for a seasons pass which is good mid May to mid Oct. at any of the locks operated by Parks Canada. I think it is about $8.80CAD per foot. They do offer one way passes, single lock passes and 5 day passes(as many locks as you can do in each day - not necessarily consecutive). If you purchase a cheaper pass and find you want to upgrade to a seasons pass they will let you pay the difference for one upgrade.

Regards, Rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: