HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Boat purchase

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunnylein

City/Region: Courtenay
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Boat purchase Reply with quote

What is the best way to get a boat across the border .
Boat seller in the States - Buyer in Canada !
Boat registration ? Trailer registration ? Money ? Survey ? Broker ?

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say for sure, but it has been done plenty. I think a broker is the easiest way but there are plenty of folks who have done it both ways that should be speaking up here.

I think you would want to be sure that both the boat and the trailer are properly registered.

Good luck with the endeavor.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

C-Val

City/Region: White Rock
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Seaduced
Photos: C-Val
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have brought 2 C Dorys into Canada

Both boats were brought in by water. I tied up to the White Rock pier and phoned in. I declared what I had and they took the information of the boat
asked for a payment of taxes. It was so easy

The trailers were a different story altogether! One trailer I could not bring in and the other was a matter of declaring it when I brought it in. Trailers fall under the motor vehicle act and you have to have all the paperwork including if there were any recalls on it. The serial numbers have to be visible and stamped on the trailer or you can't bring it in. (they often fall off)

When buying you have to have a separate invoice for boat and trailer.

1988 22' Angler
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2016
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just recently member "swf" posted their experience buying in the US and bringing into BC in the following thread, on page 14:
http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=2643&start=195

"Some purchase notes that may be of interest to my fellow Canadians looking to buy in the US.

The process is very easy. No broker is needed. The most stressful part was driving on Interstate 5. You must have the original title to the boat and to the trailer. The CBSA (Canada Border Security Services) will look at the price you paid so be prepared to prove you paid fair market value. (The agent read all the printouts of all the postings on this forum regarding the sale of Lorelei). You cannot save any tax by using a fake low price on your purchase document (the Bill of Sale) Not that anyone has ever done this in BC.
In BC you can get short term insurance to insure the trailer to get it home. This cost me $46. The original WA plates are still on it, but the seller did not need them back.
I wired the purchase money to the buyer's bank account directly from mine. This cost me $50. I had to wait most of a day after the sea trial for the money to show up in his account, before I got the titles (and the key to the trailer tongue lock). I drove directly to the border and paid my GST and PST on the boat and GST on the trailer. I was done in 15 minutes. The CBSA never even looked at the boat. You can use a credit card or a wheelbarrow of cash to pay the Government.

The remaining steps are to pay the RIV fee of $200 and get new registration issued for the trailer in BC, which I think only involves checking the VIN and issuing the document.

Oh, and taking more of my money including the PST on the trailer, insurance for the trailer and marine insurance on the boat..."
chimoii

C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: Chimo
Photos: Chimo
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a word with PBH in Alberni. They do this all the time and may even do it for you for a nominal and stress relieving surcharge. They are really good people.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: