View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westie

City/Region: Bodega Bay
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: True North
Photos: Westie
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Sliding window latch - need replacement Reply with quote

Hi,
I recently broke off my port side sliding window latch...and of course it went flying into the water as was gone! My boat is a 2006 Tomcat and this latch has S/G on the outside and is about 3" long. Anyone know where I can get a replacement?

I called C-Dory and left a message.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See this:

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=24149
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: window latch Reply with quote

Westie,
They NEVER, EVER fly off in the driveway, only over the water.
You need the D15 Low Profile or it won't allow the screen to slide past. By the time you pay Customs you will realize how proud DSG is of this product. (The hidden Internal Over Water Proximity Detector/Glass Release Mechanism microchip must be very expensive).

http://www.advantecstore.com/handles/d15handles/3.25/Handle_D15_Low_Profile_3-1/4_3.25_Anodized_12506.html

I epoxied on a solid stainless (not 316, no doubt) 1/4" $9 shower door closer instead. It doesn't look custom but provides a bit of that ghetto-chic charm that Brats strive for. (See Bob Austin's Lowes PVC Pipe Commode Radar Mount, which I plan to build one day but not til I buy Radar). Of course, it won't 'latch' but these big windows don't slide open easily anyway and any thief can open them with a big screwdriver so it's not much of a security issue for me. I also have a spare D-15 for driveway use if this handle ever flies off. So far I can't pry or chisel it off in the driveway, I'll have to try it over the water.

PS
This sturdy but only 14# stepladder is perfect for driveway boarding a TC255 and fits in the pickup bed. Slide the top into the cockpit when folded and the legs stick out enough that I can grab them at the destination.

http://www.amazon.com/Flip-N-Lite-300-Pound-Rating-Stepladder-Platform/dp/B0043WP52O?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Good Luck!
John

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: window latch Reply with quote

gulfcoast john wrote:
...They NEVER, EVER fly off in the driveway, only over the water.
You need the D15 Low Profile or it won't allow the screen to slide past. By the time you pay Customs you will realize how proud DSG is of this product. (The hidden Internal Over Water Proximity Detector/Glass Release Mechanism microchip must be very expensive)....

They are also specially engineered to make a unique "plonk" noise when they hit the water.

However, I did not think that replacement handles were that expensive. I got two (one for a spare). Perhaps it is because I got the plain AL ones and not the colored handles (the lead time for colored handles was longer than I was willing to wait).

I did find that the installation instructions from SG were inadequate. My replacement started coming off again not long after it was installed. I reinstalled it using 3M 5200 and (so far) it has stayed attached.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: