View previous topic :: View next topic  
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Fuel Stabilizer Reply with quote

Today I was talking to my Yamaha guru. He suggested useing Yamaha fuel stabilizer (not biased eh!) every time you fill up your tanks. A small bottle treats 80 ltrs and cost just under $6. This means adding $12 to the cost of every fill up. I told him I use Blue Stabil and give the tanks a shot from time to time. He commented that Blue Stabil from the big box stores has been found to contain water.
I also asked him about adding Yamaha ring free additive. He said this turns the oil black and he recommended only useing 'ring free' just before a planned oil change.
Any comments from the pub?

Martin.
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m2cw

Purchase the freshest and best gas available

Use a high quality fuel filter or a fuel and water filter. Some allow a clear bowl under the filter to quickly check for water and debris.
They are inexpensive, provide good protection and change often to suit your needs

Purchase no ethanol or E0 gas if available b/c more problems are seen with E10 gas

If using E10 gas, add fuel stabilizers recommended by the outboard manufacturer first then consider secondary sources for recommendations. A outboard company may recommend using another additive, ex Yamaha recommends using Ring Free in the gas in addition to a fuel stabilizers for E10 gas

Follow the instructions when adding it to gas (ex one ounce per 10 gallons of gas and need to purchase a measuring bottle to prevent over dosing)

A high quality fuel additive will have detergents to keep fuel system clean, help stabilize fuel especially if not using it on regular basis and help reduce phase separation in ethanol enhanced gas. If you are burning gas often then one expects less issues and need for additives compared to gas sitting around for long periods of time

Yamaha info on ethanol enhanced gas

http://yamahaoutboards.com/sites/defaul ... _Flyer.pdf

http://yamahaoutboards.com/sites/default/files/images/Ethanol_Fuel_Flyer.pdf

AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
State or Province: OR
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used the blue Stabil, recommended dose, each tankful or added gas, and never had any issues, period of 3 years with a couple 3 month periods of storage, the wet, wet coast of Oregon. All E10 gas. The Stabil added five cents per gallon to the cost.

My conclusion: ethanol problems not an issue except for the reduction in power, and that is minor. Storage or use which invites large quantities of water into the tank would likely cause issues whether the gas is alcohol enhanced or not, if your hoses are rated for E10.

Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Fuel Stabilizer Reply with quote

Yamaha Ring Free helps avoid piston rings getting sticky and carbon ridges at the top of the cylinder which can break piston rings so most say. If the oil is getting black is a sign that it is doing its job. I used Yamaha ring free in the prescribed amounts every time I added fuel. I'm a fan of Marine Stabil and added it as directed every time I added fuel also. I don't know about the newer Yamaha fuel additive includes ring free or not.
Any gas I store at home for weed whackers, chain saws, lawn mowers etc.
has Marine Stabil added to it before I even bring the gas home. No more issues. But that's just me.
D.D.

drbridge

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Susan Marie
Photos: Susan Marie
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am a believer in the blue stabil. (Why would anybody put water in a fuel stabilizer?) I have ran it in all my motorcycles, chain saws, lawnmowers, weed eaters and outboards both two and four stroke for years. I do try to run non ethanol when I can, but use the stabil regardless. When storing for winter I make sure fuel tanks are full and treated with blue Stabil. This has eliminated any fuel related problems to date.
Cheap Insurance.

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the blue Stabil and even the newer honey colored formula called 360. Never had an issue. I do replace our fuel/water filter every season. I also use the proper ratio for winter lay-up. So far...so good.
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the Stabil 360 marine and I add more than the recommended amount. I'm probably wasting my money but it gives me peace of mind. I'm also using Yamaha Ring free.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Marine Stabil at home and on the boat and it does the job for us. No problems with carbed outboards, motorcycles, or yard equipment even though that stuff sits for periods in the winter at least. I use the normal maintenance dose during the busy season and an extra heavy dose for storage periods.

I did use ring free when we had the Lund but I was always a little suspect about it's worth.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have dealt with lots of fuel issues. The very best measure is to run your motor a lot, thereby replacing the gas with new gas frequently.

Sta-Bil has sometimes been great, other times it hasn't prevented the issues it was supposed to prevent, but all in all, good stuff.

I agree that you should follow manufacturers recommendations for ethanol laced fuel. I have found that the fancier 2 stroke motors (e.g. merc optimax) are less tolerant of older gas than 4 strokes.

If you are going to leave your boat sitting for an extended period it is a smart idea to get the gas out of the carb (if you have one), even if stabilized. With injectors, the fancier 2 strokes seem more prone to injector trouble than the injected 4 strokes I've used.
Jim & Dara

City/Region: Santa Rosa
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: PLAN B
Photos: Jim & Dara (TBD)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to take my kicker in for service twice after it began running very rough due to fuel issues. Since then I have added Blue Stabil with every fill up with very good results.

We too change all filters and clean water separator at least once a season.

Cheers
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha has changed some of their products. You used to be able to get RingFree by itself, and now it is RingFree and Fuel Stablizer combined. Kind of bums me. The RingFree needs to get in and run when you are doing just that, start, run on plan and slow but running for several hours in a row. My Yamaha mechanic recommends adding RingFree early in the season and running that tank through fairly rapidly. Add it mid season, for another full tank run and then again at the end of the season.

The Marine Stabil is for just the opposite use, when the fuel is going to sit in the tank for extended times. So combining the two into one is a ploy to sell more product, (IMHO).

Having Yamaha engines, I do use the RingFree as the mechanic suggested, early, mid and late season. I use the Marine Stabil if the boat is going to be sitting for more than month, and I fill the tank on the way home after each use. The Stabil dose for storage is 1 oz for each 5 gal (IIRCR), an I don't skimp on it. I have had the boat sit for 8 months, and it started right up with the Marine Stabil.

I see no reason to stabilize fuel that is going through the tank in the next few hours to few days. If it is old fuel, Adding stabilizer may not do the trick, as in pepping it to the equivalent of new fuel, and it has already done whatever it is going to do as far as degradation goes, so why add stabilizer now.

Harvey (occasionally stabilized and less frequently, RingFreeed )
SleepyCMoon

BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha has

Ring Free + (plus) Detergent type fuel additive
which is an improved formula
provides superior deposit control, cleaning fuel injectors, carburetors, intake valves, intake ports, and combustion chambers. Featuring metal filmers, it also protects silver solder, copper, aluminum, and steel in a fuel system from the corrosive affects of ethanol sulfate salts

and

Fuel Stabilizer and Conditioner for E10 gas - Fuel Stabilizer additive

alcohol-free formula helps prevent fuel oxidation (when ethanol absorbs moisture from air) and phase separation from moist, rich air. When used continuously, it keeps fuel fresh, potent and free from gum and varnish for up to one year of storage. Its metal filmers, provide extensive protection for steel and aluminum components.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO if you are going to go to the trouble of using stabilizers, you want to put the fuel stabilizer in the tank early on, not when you decide the boat is going to sit for awhile. You want stabilized fuel in the various engine collection points (pumps, filters, bowls, lines, etc.) too, not just in the fuel in the tank.

I usually put stabilizer in every time I buy gas, not when I get home.
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Stabilizer Reply with quote

bridma wrote:
Today I was talking to my Yamaha guru. He suggested useing Yamaha fuel stabilizer (not biased eh!) every time you fill up your tanks. A small bottle treats 80 ltrs and cost just under $6. This means adding $12 to the cost of every fill up. I told him I use Blue Stabil and give the tanks a shot from time to time. He commented that Blue Stabil from the big box stores has been found to contain water.
I also asked him about adding Yamaha ring free additive. He said this turns the oil black and he recommended only useing 'ring free' just before a planned oil change.
Any comments from the pub?

Martin.

I have been using Red Stabil for 30+ yrs. Wink Wink
If it aint broke don't fix it Laughing
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a side note, we had to stop for fuel on Sunday and Edmonds was closest. Stop in and put 20 gallons. What does the pump say? "May contain up to 10% ethanol"....grrrrrrrr. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: