View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Question on canvas color for blue 2015 CD 25 Reply with quote

Hi Brats,

As I mentioned yesterday, my wife and I just bought a new blue 25. We won't get the boat until later this month and I just made an appointment with Rayco Canvas here in Ohio to replicate the great canvas that they did on Valkyrie about ten years ago.

However, In matching the canvas to the gelcoat, they wanted to know if I wanted dark navy or Captain's navy. The factory just told me that the gelcoat is called Tailgate Blue, which doesn't really help me.

Does anyone with a 2015 know what color canvas best matches the blue gel coat on a late model 25? I want to make sure that have the right blue in stock before I get there.

Thanks,

Nick
"Valkyrie"
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pick a color that you like. Pacific Blue is the most common blue used on boats. They claim it lasts longest. I don't know what that is based on.

Here is the Sunbrella color fabric web site is: http://www.sunbrella.com/showroom/#!screen=home

In the upper right there are check boxes. Check "Blues" then "Solids" and "Marine fabrics" Med blue and Ocean blue seem closest to the C Dory Blue.

Often canvas shops will try and use fabrics they have in stock, rather than order the best match. They may need also to get binding as well as the sheet material. Also be sure they use Tenara thread, and a quality vinyl--such as Strataglass. (CrystalClear is the same as Strataglass, without the coatings.) Pressed and polished vinyl is better than rolled--30 or 40 mils is far better. In the long run the UV resistant thread and Stratoglass will save money.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and congrats on your new boat! My 22's trim is "Tailgate Blue," and I had a chance to compare several Sunbrella colors to it directly. That said, I'm going to have to dig out my notes before I can give you any info. But just figured I'd let you know I was out here Very Happy
RobMcClain

City/Region: Summerlin, NV
State or Province: NV
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Freedom
Photos: Freedom
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Venture has maroon colored trim and the original owner went with maroon Sunbrella for the bimini and enclosure. The canvass maker (JP's Canvass in Florida - Tampa area I think) did a wonderful job. We really like both, but if I were going to do it I would go with a beige/tan color. It still keeps the sun out but provides for a much lighter cockpit. While our boat is primarily light cream colored with the maroon trim, much of the nonskid deck is beige/tan so using that color would still tie the boat together. If you look at photos of Casey & Mary's "Desert 1st" you will see they have the hunter green boat trim with a beige bimini/enclosure. It looks natural, provides a brighter cockpit, and makes for stunning look.

Just an alternative thought... Enjoy making all these different decisions! All part of the fun and excitement of a new boat. And congratulations!!

Rob
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One uses canvas to protect from the sun. So a lighter color is better that a darker color since it reflects more heat and absorbs less. I'd pick the lightest blue that makes you happy.

Boris
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
One uses canvas to protect from the sun. So a lighter color is better that a darker color since it reflects more heat and absorbs less. I'd pick the lightest blue that makes you happy.

Boris

Although there is another side to that. The dark colors protect one better from UV, so if you are making a bimini, etc. that may be a consideration. Also some people find a darker color to be easier on the eyes in bright conditions. I'm not lobbying for a dark color, but just mentioning a couple of additional factors. There are some Sunbrellas that have a lighter colored underside flocking on a dark top color, but they are a bit heavier and don't come in all the colors. Sailrite.com has a good explanation of it all.
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
Hi and congrats on your new boat! My 22's trim is "Tailgate Blue," and I had a chance to compare several Sunbrella colors to it directly. That said, I'm going to have to dig out my notes before I can give you any info. But just figured I'd let you know I was out here Very Happy

Augh, I can't find my notes right now, and I'm not at the boat. What I do remember is that the best match for Tailgate Blue was not Pacific Blue, nor was it the color of the interior cushions (which I forget, but might have been Mediterranean Blue).or the stock bimini (which I think was Mediterranean Blue Tweed). Instead the best match was one of the "less known" colors. I think it was either Ocean Blue or Marine Blue.

Given that, if it were me, I'd probably spend $2 and get a couple of samples from Sailrite.com You can order them online and I think they ship for free. I've gotten samples from them for other projects and it's SO MUCH better than just looking at them online. The match was actually quite good, so worth looking into, IMO.
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I whole-heartedly agree with Boris, choose a light color. I chose dark green to match my boat, big mistake, it heats the interior well above 120F on a summer day. It even melts any plastic it comes in contact with.
Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Valkyrie

City/Region: Loudonville
State or Province: OH
Vessel Name: Valkyrie II
Photos: Valkyrie
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone!

Ahhh, the decision process begins again. We really thought that our 22 was going to be the last time that we went through this!

Nick
"Valkyrie"
A Fishin C

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are the cushions still made of sunbrella fabric?
if so you could ask c-dory the colour of the cushion fabric...
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get the 25 yet Valkyrie?

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
redbaronace

City/Region: Puget Sound
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: redbaronace (Name TBD)
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We recently went through this decision when we had an awning made for our Green Stripe Tomcat 255. After towing the boat to the folks at King Canvas in Seattle and viewing Green and Dark Grey color samples of Sunbrella, we opted for Top Gun fabric instead. The color we chose for our short awning was Black.

The good advice we received was that if you tried to match the color exact and its off, then it oftentimes looks ugly. The other option was to go a different color entirely and it doesnt look as if you tried and missed on color match.

The Black Topgun Canvas compliments the boat perfectly especially since there was other black colored items on the boat already.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: