The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Laser Temperature Gun $32

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Laser Temperature Gun $32 Reply with quote

Tools-Plus-Outlet via eBay offers the Milwaukee Laser Temp-Gun, model no. 2266-20, for $31.99 with free shipping. That's the lowest total price we could find by $9. It features a 12:1 distance to spot ratio, LCD display with LED backlight, and proprietary rail

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321916713528?rmvSB=true&rmvSB=true

.Basic Accuracy: 1.50%
Contact Temperature Input: -40º C to 537º C(-40º F to 998º F)

Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which brings up the question (in my mind) "what is hot?" I've been using my IR temp gun on tires and bearings. Hotest that I've gotten is about 40 degrees above ambient. Meaning that if it's 85 degrees out (like on my recent Eastern Washington trip), my tires might read 125 degrees. I assume that's nothing. What is the warning temp for tires and bearings. Also, I assume that since I now have disc brakes, that adds some to the bearing temps? Shooting through the "spokes" on the wheels right at the disc after a long decent shows the brake discs at 180 degrees. That has to add something to the bearings.

Mark.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally I run 20 over ambient, but 40 over ambient is OK. Disc brakes at 180 degrees sounds a bit high. However, if you just stopped, it may have heated them up. Generally I check the brake discs after I have walked the dog. I do the tires and hubs immediately on stopping.

Coming down a long grade into the Salt Lake Valley, I did heat up a bearing, and suspect that I had some dragging of the disc brakes on the down grade. I charged that bearing--the next AM after running a few miles, I checked the discs--and the same axle had the opposite bearing heating up--so I disconnected the brakes on that axle--and went on my way. I rebuilt the brakes when we got home. Good reason to carry extra hydraulic fittings in the kit.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

What was the temp of the bearing you changed? I had a dragging brake and the hub got to 165. I let it cool and it seemed that the brake had released because it was very close to the temp of the hubs. I also did not drive on the freeway going home. I looked at the outer bearing and it looked fine and the grease looked like new. So I put it back together.
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Laser Temperature Gun $32 Reply with quote

My rule of thumb is if I can't hold my hand on a tire I figure something is wrong. I think most people could feel the temperature difference going from tire to tire. I take my first two fingers and place them on the hub. If I can't hold them there because of heat I would surmise there is a problem. I make sure to change brake fluid every two years in our cars and truck an the trailer. Water is heavier than the brake fluid. It seems to attract moisture plus condensation is another cause. The water can cause corrosion in the bottom side of the bores for the caliper's pistons. This can cause the brake to drag and excess heat which can melt the wheel seal. Then going unnoticed its all over but the crying. Brake fluid is pretty cheap.
D.D.

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a previous thread:

Quote:
Keep in mind that disc brake trailers may run slightly hotter. In checking with our Service Manager John, he says that temps as high as 180 would be the upper limit of normal.

Quote from Matt Gurnsey of Kitsap Marine.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaSpray wrote:
Bob,

What was the temp of the bearing you changed? I had a dragging brake and the hub got to 165. I let it cool and it seemed that the brake had released because it was very close to the temp of the hubs. I also did not drive on the freeway going home. I looked at the outer bearing and it looked fine and the grease looked like new. So I put it back together.

When I checked the bearing the morning after a fairly shot drive it was 230 degrees.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just showed up as a sidebar ad while surfing the web. It's the IR gun I've used for years on sale now with free same day shipping on Amazon prime for under $14. I think I'll get a second one.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DMI632G/ref=gbps_tit_s-3_8062_5b18a3e8?smid=A99MZGWBBIGK9&pf_rd_p=2449568062&pf_rd_s=slot-3&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=gb_main&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=03Q5JR8S6SK62RY839TV

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest single thing to worry about is difference in temps from tire to tire or bearing to bearing. If both or all four of the bearing temps are withing 10 or 15 degrees of each other, then you are good to go unless, all four bearings are going out at the same time. Also, I adjust the differential temps for which side I've been towing facing the sun. That side will often be warmer by 5 go 10 degrees when you've stopped to check.

Also, make sure your lazer dot is pointed at the same spot every time and that you hold the IR the same distance approximately every time.

I buy my IR's at Harbor Freight for 19 bucks year round. they have served me well as I'm only comparing temps, not looking for absolute numbers.

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: