The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Bad day at launch
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larry Patrick

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea -Jo
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Bad day at launch Reply with quote

Put the boat in Erie in the rain Friday. First as I was putting up the bimini frame the forward piece that swings squashed my finger tip,probablly lose nail all black now. Second thing after wife backs me in water ,I start engine before launching ,she leaves steering not working correctly. Turn wheel 5xs the usual amount to get what usually is 1 time. Hard time turning around and getting to wet slip .When I get to my channel, steering stops all together,can spin the wheel same direction over and over. Wind is trying to blow me into rock jetty. Was ready to drop anchor ,but kept lowering and raising outboard turning wheel,finally a little steering and limped into slip.Talked with Anchor Marine and others ,no one can help till after Memorial day too busy. Called Marc Grove ,he told me to get some Telaflex oil .Took knob off and added oil at helm,turning wheel back and forth,seems like it worked. But inside wall of berth oil was dripping from round canister looking thing behind steering wheel. I see a gasket there looks like a lot of work to change it? I will try and tighten Allen screws, Hope that works. Wondering if boat is useable since dripping stopped and steering is working? Wonder if that's the high point and enough fluid remains in system to safely use? Next trip will start motor and turn it on and off for 15 minutes before going out,will have oil on hand. Appreciate any advise.
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry, chances are the fill nut was loose, or one of the lines to the engine cylinder is loose (check your v berth upholstery). Worst case, the pump is shot.

Find what's loose, then you will probably need to bleed the system. Boris has a great post on it. I will try and find it and insert a link. BTW, the alternative hydraulic fluid that Telefex mentions is much less expensive then the branded stuff. I believe it's mil-spec 5606. It does have a red dye, but it's basically the same stuff.

Steve

Edit: here's a link to a thread that has Boris' advice on bleeding the system, plus comments on 5606.

If it's a loose hose fitting, check your literature on what 'goo' to use if just tightening doesn't fix things. Going from memory here, but it seemed that they recommended a special product that you can get at an auto parts store.

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=23370

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get the hydraulic fluid at most fixed base operators at general aviation fields.

Agree with Steve, that you need to bleed the system before using the boat.

For fittings which are going to carry most fluids and there is an issue with threads, often Permatex "Form A Gasket" #2 (slow hardening--stays slightly soft), will take care of the problem. Appreciated for aviation hydraulic systems.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good reminder for people getting their boats wet for the first time in the spring. You should check through all major systems to see if there are problems. The electrical system is important, but if the boat starts, you're okay. Then check steering, dewatering (pumps), and if you have a kicker (a good idea for single engine boats) check that over too, as it is both your backup propusion and your backup steering.

For those with hydraulic steering, it is a great idea to familiarize yourself with filling and bleeding before it is necessary. This can come up while you are out there, and it's not that difficult if you have the right stuff with you and know what to do. It can be very challenging figuring it out on a disabled boat.

Have fun!
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kushtaka wrote:
This is a good reminder for people getting their boats wet for the first time in the spring. You should check through all major systems to see if there are problems. The electrical system is important, but if the boat starts, you're okay. Then check steering, dewatering (pumps), and if you have a kicker (a good idea for single engine boats) check that over too, as it is both your backup propusion and your backup steering.

For those with hydraulic steering, it is a great idea to familiarize yourself with filling and bleeding before it is necessary. This can come up while you are out there, and it's not that difficult if you have the right stuff with you and know what to do. It can be very challenging figuring it out on a disabled boat.

Have fun!

Agreed. And always, always check for steering before backing off of a trailer or pushing away from a dock. I learned this the hard way when my cable steering temporarily seized on my previous 22. Now I always give the wheel a spin or two in both directions prior to pulling off the trailer or pulling away from the dock.

thataway

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if it has only been a month or so, we always start and check all systems at home, including engine start, fluids, batteries, steering, pumps, all switches, etc before heading to the launch ramp. Same after a long trailering trip--start on land if possible (of course have to have water for the engine cooling).
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a thread with information on how to bleed the hydraulic steering.

Mil-H-83282 is the hydraulic fluid used in the Teleflex/Seastar steering. It is available at any airport at a airplane supply company. Teleflex buy/sells it without the dye. Easier to spot a leak with dye, as you've found.

Boris
Larry Patrick

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links to info and advice. Was around $33 for a quart of expensive stuff,at that point its all they had, didn't want to shop around, if not late in day prefer to get no name brand. Was wondering if rescue tape might seal gasket until I can get it over to a mechanic,they wont come to our marina ,but said they would fix it at their marina a few miles away by boat,already brought trailer home.
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly does make for a bad day when you loose your steering! I had an overheat alarm come on 1 day after leaving the ramp. Since then I always leave my fenders and dock lines deployed until out of the marina. Also keep a boat hook/pole handy to fend off if necessary. Returning I deploy them again before entering the marina.

Regards, Rob

thataway

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not entirely sure where it is leaking--is it still leaking without turning the wheel? Does it leak when you turn the wheel now? Sometimes fluid can leak from the front of the helm, and then run thru the bulkhead, so it appears as if there is a leak on the back side.

No rescue tape will not help in this type of problem. There are times, when rescue tape might help, if there is a cut in the tubing--but even then, would put a hose clamp over the rescue tape which I would put over the tape. Hydraulic steering tubing can develop pressure in the hundreds of lbs/per square inch. The tape alone is too elastic.
Larry Patrick

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both I and wife looked at leak,seems like the seem where gasket is in berth behind helm.The round cyclinder,dont know name? Just leaked for a while after adding fluid dripped from there I think.I checked steering before launching and started motor,Weffings greased steering so I just figured it was turning more easily. Next time will have a paddle and extra long boat hook. Calling a few more marinas ,maybee someone will do a housecall.
AK Angler

City/Region: South Central
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Rod Holder
Photos: Rod Holder
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a secondary motor that can be steered independently (a kicker)? Using the kicker to motor a few miles to the other marina shouldn't be a problem, assuming fair weather/water conditions.

89CD16A- The Navicula has been sold...
Kushtaka

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A LOT of commercial fishermen using older boats simply keep a tube attached to their helm fill with a funnel tied up near the roof and keep fluid in it, so if there is a leak the missing fluid gets replaced as it leaks. This doesn't address the issue, but you can absolutely fill your steering back up, bleed it out, and use this system to get to your repair facility. Or just putt there on your kicker.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, with twin engines, you could get by WITHOUT a steering wheel. Cool Laughing

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Kushtaka

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Or, with twin engines, you could get by WITHOUT a steering wheel. Cool Laughing

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Sometimes. I've had my twins refuse to move due to a bad cylinder, and were turned hard over. That was exceedingly difficult to control. Also, your engines can get all floppy without hydraulic pressure, so if you have no means of holding them centered, or nearly so, splitting throttle to steer is much less effective. I've seen boats that have a device mounted on their transom to hold the motors in the center without steering pressure. It just hooked onto the tie bar and was neat, but a one-off fabrication. Good idea though, and good forethought. With that thing you could drain all the fluid and steer with throttle all day long and hardly lose any control.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: