View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Shock absorbers on my trailer Reply with quote

I once had an old utility trailer made from a pickup truck bed that still had shocks on it and I was always impressed with how it towed on rough roads. I had it long enough that I noticed it was beginning to wander and sway, so I replaced the shocks and that solved the problem. Actually, the problem was probably the fact that it was cobbled together from an old truck and the geometry was wrong. But I knew that shocks on a trailer can cure some ills, plus it towed nice when empty, something most trailers don't do.

So I looked for shocks that might fit my little EZ Loader trailer. There's not much room. I had to use the smallest shock I could find or else it would either stick up too high or drag the ground. Monroe makes a little shock that was used on larger Dodge V8 cars in the 80's. So I knew it could handle the weight. Some of the smaller shocks that I found were from go carts and golf carts. I was skeptical of using those.

I moored the boat out front and went to work on the empty trailer. When I finished, I had my wife drive the trailer to the local boat ramp so I could put the boat back on. Her only observation was that the trailer was now quieter. That's because it doesn't bounce as much when empty. And with the boat on it, it was great. The local boat launch is an "unmaintained" rutted mess and then I have to drive over three miles on a potholed gravel road to get to the house.

The boat seemed so well mannered. I still slowed for the potholes, but when the trailer hit them there was hardly any motion transferred to the Santa Fe. For $50 in materials, including the shocks, this gets a thumbs up. I'm planning a long trip tomorrow, so I'll see what it does on the open road.

There are a couple pictures in my album, but I didn't take any pictures when the boat was off because I've lost my #%*! phone.

Mark

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with the idea. And looks like you have a solid installation. My trailer has a torsion bar suspension system and as I watch out my rear view mirror, it moves along with very little motion sideways or up and down. The bounce in my truck is much greater, so someone designed my trailer right. If you like the ride you are seeing with the trailer empty and loaded, then you are in good shape. However, I think most properly designed trailers will ride fine without shocks though they do want to fly around a bit empty. In my case that is a maximum of a one mile pull though.

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: