The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

09/08 - 09/11 - 2016 7th Annual Mississippi River Gathering
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tully-B

City/Region: Hopkins
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tully-B
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: 2016 7th annual Mississippi River Gathering Reply with quote

We had heard that you two were up in Hank and Pat Clow Country. Enjoy the time at Isle Royal and Jan and I look forward to seeing you guys again on the Mississippi. The gathering is a great event and it along with the Hoontun Island Gathering is on our must do list. Jan and Lee on the Tully-B
Joni Lynn

City/Region: Guttenberg
State or Province: IA
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Joni Lynn
Photos: Joni Lynn
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brats,
Bringing stuff for Thursday sand bar event will not work for us. We're not able to get there until Friday....probably mid-day. Depending on when we do arrive, we may drive over to Hannibal to hook up with the group. In any event, we'll see you on Friday and will help provide whatever is needed to assist Terry with his meals.
And yes, what generosity on Terry's part ! It'll be great seeing Terry, Pat & Jay again, along with all of the other C Brat friends.
See y'all soon,
Paul & Joni
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tex suggested that we might want to explore the upper Mississippi river after the gathering.

We are open to suggestions of the best areas to explore, and if others want to tag along--or better yet lead, we would be very happy to have company. We are more the anchor out type, but have no real aversion to docks when available. We are considering about a 2 week period after the gathering.

Miss Angel will be with us as always!--so we are going to be stopping at " Dog friendly anchorages!"

Any suggestions are welcome!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
k-p pelican

City/Region: Putnam
State or Province: IL
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

You will love the upper Mississippi River. When we meet at the gathering, we should talk about some of the great places to see and visit. You should have a Quimbies Guide. If you do not have one, I will bring a copy for you to take with you. We have toured the Mississippi many times and still love going there. In fact we are going on the Mighty River tomorrow to take our daughter to Catfish Charlies in Dubuque, Iowa. Reportedly, the second best restraint you can get to by water. The best is in Hawaii, a little far for the C-Dory with a 59 gallon gas tank.

Ken & Pat (Pelican)
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ken,
I'll probably be there with my tape recorder!-- Thanks for the offer of Quimby's--I do have one; it is a 2000 edition. I suspect the river has not changed much, and I have started putting post-it notes, along with comments from Active Captain, and web sites to up date it.

Since I know nothing about the area, I always start my homework early (I feel that "homework" is a big factor in successful cruising). I came upon a site, somewhat by accident--but it seems to be full of information--and I would appreciate any comments from folks who know the area:
Mississippi River Traveler

I had come up with several books by Dean Klinkenberg I was considering buying one of his books--and looked up the two book sellers, who were noted on Amazon--"Any-Book" seems to have bad reviews...but Mississippi Valley Traveler (The book seller) had great reviews. Low and behold, the author has blogs, town by town descriptions and his books in PDF format at a fraction of the printed costs... Very Happy
texasair

City/Region: Cypress, Texas
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Bixby's Cub
Photos: Bixbys Cub
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
You could just leave your truck and Trailer at the Two Rivers Marina and run north as far as time allowed.
It is about 600 river miles from Two Rivers all the way to Minneapolis which may be too far for your time frame.

I would suggest trailering up to American Marina next to Catfish Charlie's in Dubuque. It is about a 4.5 hour drive from the gathering. There is plenty of secure parking for your truck and trailer while you are on the river. They were gracious hosts for a couple of Mississippi River gatherings several years back and you will be well received.

The 280 mile stretch of river from Dubuque up to Minneapolis is beautiful with sandbars, islands, museums, interesting easily accessible river towns and should fit your schedule better

In Dubuque visit the Ice Harbor (by boat or in your truck) at the National Mississippi Museum and aquarium.
Be sure to tour the old Corps of Engineers steam powered dredge on display.

About 35 miles north of Dubuque, in Gutenberg there is very good pizza place a short walk from the public dock. The drilled out clam shells usually found at the waters edge are an interesting souvenir of the old turn of the century button factory. There is a small museum in the old lockmaster's house. The resident Gutenberg C-Brats will be at the gathering and can fill you in on much more.
The National Eagle Center at Wabasha is another cool stop, right on the river with its own dock.
Almost every town you will pass has public docks, easily accessible historic downtown areas, interesting people and sights.
Many of the folks coming to the Mississippi river gathering will have lots of information to share about this part of the river, so bring your note pad.

Tex
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tex!
That is the very specific information which I had hoped to get from someone who is experienced and who has a passion for life on the water! I know that I will get lots more suggestions at the gathering!

Take care.

Bob
texasair

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
I have a 2001 Set of the Corps of Engineers full color upper river charts I can loan you.

If you want the latest copy 2011 printing. You can order by mail or pick one up at the Mel Price Lock and Dam north of St Louis on the way up.
Mel Price is one of 2 super locks on the river and their lock tour is well worth the stop. Large parking lot will accommodate boat trailers.

On the way from Two River to Dubuque the upper river Charts are also available at the Rock Island Lock, in Rock Island, Illinois. Schedule a couple of hours for the free Rock Island Arsenal firearms museum. Thousands of firearms on display from the earliest known firearms up to an atomic cannon.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tex gives some very good advice. The River Museum is definitely worth a visit. Regarding the river charts, you can download them free from the ACE site. (You can also download several other major river charts. The charts are in a PDF file, and you can download the entire navigable river. While I do have some older printed charts, which are nice to have, I have kept my iPad current with the most updated charts. Just google for the river you want.

Here is the link for the Upper Mississippi River Chart:

http://www.mvr.usace.army.mil/Portals/48/docs/Nav/NavigationCharts/UMR/ALL_PAGES.pdf
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tex & Colby,
I have already downloaded the charts on PDF format on the computer (2011 appears to be the latest edition). Thanks! I may put them on a card I have which will work on both the i pad and computer--good idea on the iPad.

Ah yes, We do want to do the Rock Island Arsenal museum--we probably will spend more time there than we should! (one of our favorites is the one in Cody Wy--spent a whole day in just the firearms section) Thanks for the reminder!

River museum sounds like a must!

Thanks again!

Bob
NancyandBud

City/Region: Nashville
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Willow
Photos: Willow
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are prospective C-Dory owners welcome?

Nancy and I live in Nashville, IL which about an hour SE of Alton.

We are in the early looking stages and would love an opportunity to talk with some experienced C-Brats to get some tips on what to look for when shopping for a C-Dory.

We could even bring a bottle from KY that has red wax at the top to share!

Bud
texasair

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud and Nancy, You are certainly welcome, please join us for a day or for the whole event. And off course, a bottle of Kentucky's finest would be welcome.

There will be 22' and 25' Cruisers at the gathering and I think a 25' Tomcat. Everyone loves to show off their boats and you will be most welcome to look them all over. I would bet that we can fix you up with a test cruise also.

Many folks that have joined us on the Mississippi over the years have caught the bug and purchased C-Dory's.

See you there,

Tex and Sharon on Bixby's Cub
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the C Dory gatherings is the best way to learn about the boats--and the life style of the C Brats! We even have seen prospective owners at Lake Powell--where the gathering is 50 miles from the nearest road! There are prospective owners at almost every gathering we have been to thru the years.. Sometimes you meet them in service stations, campgrounds, or they force you off the road to look at the boats!
k-p pelican

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bud & Nancy

You are most welcome to join the C-Brats at the gathering at Two Rivers Marina. The best time to visit would be Saturday, Sep. 10th, when we will have all day to introduce you to the C-Dory lifestyle and inspect the boats. We have no activities scheduled until the bbq at 5pm. You are certainly welcome to join us at the bbq as well.

If you can make it, please call Pat at (815) 303-2154 and we will meet you and get you hooked up with C-Brats and the boats.

Hope to see you at the gathering.

Ken & Pat (Pelican)
k-p pelican

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Fellow C-Brats,

I have finally secured some entertainment for the gathering. The entertainment is scheduled for 6 to 6:30 on Saturday after the bbq. We will probably be all Mark Twained out after Fridays adventure so we found something else, hope you enjoy it.

Ken and Pat (Pelican)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: