The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Great day on the water!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:37 pm    Post subject: Great day on the water! Reply with quote

All is right in the C Dory world again! I had a great cruise today after getting my boat boat back from the Yamaha shop.

What a great day! I picked up the boat after having her at the shop for a week and a half. The weather was perfect...Low 60's, sunny and light winds. This was my longest trip on the 19 so far this year. I did about 22 miles round trip; I think I used about 6 gallons or so? I'm estimating that but it's definitely between 5-7 gallons.

She ran like a top! What a difference from my previous times. I had 100% ABSOLUTE confidence in the motor and the systems AND that is a great feeling. There's nothing worse than being on the water and not feeling confident in your equipment.

I found a good cruising speed was around 12-15 knots and I kept her there for a good portion of the day. She also felt good around 20 knots or so and I had a blast running steady at that clip! But once the seas picked up I backed it down again. My WOT was around 27-28 knots....That was fun too but not in the open ocean where I boat. I love the 80, what a difference from my last motor! Although my last motor didn't require any tuning/service like this one......

THE SERVICE: So this is what they found and did.

The motor was not running on all cylinders BUT all cylinders had spark. They did a compression and leak down test.

#1 cylinder: 215 psi and 3% leakdown
#2 cylinder 210 psi and 5% leakdown
#3 cylinder 225 psi and 5% leakdown
#4 cylinder 205 psi and 6% leakdown

They then changed all the spark plugs (even though I had already changed them last month. ??)

Then they did a full carb cleaning and overhaul. While doing that they noticed that the fuel pump diaphragm was torn/rotten. So they replaced the fuel pump...That was unexpected and pricey. Finally they did a diagnostic test and then a "full sync and link" and "TPS setting".

It was a pricey endeavor but I'm very happy with the results and the best part....I won't be re-powering in 2016! Time to enjoy the boat!

I added some more pics to my album too.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only running on two of my 4 cylinders, so I know how that poor little engine felt. Unfortunately, there is not shop around here to get me running and no amount of overhaul or parts:)Smile

Sounds like you have things under control. I'm still surprised at the compression numbers, but then, I'm more of a car engine guy.

Good luck on a great season on your Dory.

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

potter water wrote:
I'm only running on two of my 4 cylinders, so I know how that poor little engine felt. Unfortunately, there is not shop around here to get me running and no amount of overhaul or parts:)Smile

Sounds like you have things under control. I'm still surprised at the compression numbers, but then, I'm more of a car engine guy.

Good luck on a great season on your Dory.

Thanks! I hope you get your engine running up to snuff AND beyond. Cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: