The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Don't worry, be happy!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fairbro

City/Region: Prescott
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Minnie Swann
Photos: Minnie Swann
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Don't worry, be happy! Reply with quote

As a former C-dory owner I kept up with this forum (still do) and all the mechanical and structural problems that we have experienced and overcome. That's just it, with everyone's help we overcame. Things work out. I worried too much about inherent C-dory weaknesses and it affected my enjoyment. Now it's been two years since I stopped boating but I still read stuff on here and think if I still had "Minnie" I'd be worried about that now. So if you are like me just stop it. Enjoy your boat, it's probably gonna out live you.

It's something in the water!
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the good advice.

And some back to you .... --> There are still C-Dorys out there.

Could be a "Minnie II" in the future.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Fairbro

City/Region: Prescott
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Minnie Swann
Photos: Minnie Swann
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hit 72 and do all my boating from a deck chair on my balcony overlooking a marina on the Mississippi. I still cuss out the inexperienced and inept to my wife. She says shut-up about that, just relax, it's not your problem. She's right of course.
Jake

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current sermon series at our church is: FEAR. A week ago was: the fear of failure. I am the champion when it comes to the fear of failure. It does kind of dominate one's life sadly. Great to be prepared, great to avoid failures, but not good when the fear of failure starts to control your life such that you can't really enjoy life.
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, this is why I check out the C-Brats every day. We of a certain age realize how fortunate we are to have had the joy of C-Dory ownership and C-Brat membership.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
NORO LIM

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dotnmarty wrote:
See, this is why I check out the C-Brats every day. We of a certain age realize how fortunate we are to have had the joy of C-Dory ownership and C-Brat membership.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

And I check every day to see what you have contributed, Marty!

hardee

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NORO LIM wrote:
dotnmarty wrote:

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

And I check every day to see what you have contributed, Marty!

And I check because on of these days, Marty is going to find that C-Dory14. Thumbs Up Laughing

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I check almost every day, 'cause this place feels like "home."

A good lesson with this thread: enjoy each day...

Look for the good stuff in each experience; and there is a lot of good stuff with C-Dory ownership.
hardee

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, Thanks for the "really good point".
I remember being overseas in the service and whenever we got a chance to see the military newspaper "Stars and Stripes" the first place everyone checked to see if there name was in the paper was the .......... obituary column.

Glad we got past that.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Larry Patrick

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea -Jo
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learning that motto,things are going to happen,they will get fixed,so enjoy the boat and dealing with the headaches is part of it.
anchorout

City/Region: Lake Charles
State or Province: LA
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: EZ DUZIT
Photos: EZ DUZIT
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: the Frenchman Reply with quote

I once met an old crusty Frenchman, living on his boat, down island in Admiralty Bay. He'd been around and had some tales to tell. Once he was off the coast of Carolina and was hit by a hurricane. (It's hard to imagine in this day and age, how one could be surprised by a hurricane, but ... it's his story.) Things finally got so bad, that, on deck fighting the storm, he was thrown across the boat and impaled on a stanchion, that penetrated his abdomen, breaking a rib. His boat was eventually blown ashore and he was taken to a hospital by passersby, where he spent weeks healing. This he said had happened some 50 years ago.

I asked how, after such a narrow escape, he ever decided to return to the sea. "I would rather die, on my boat, with a pipe through my gut, than in a hospital bed, with a tube up my $%*."

I always admired that man. What a rich life he had had, and he was still living it at his age.

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't worry, be happy! Reply with quote

Fairbro wrote:
.... about inherent C-dory weaknesses ...

I am not aware of any "inherent C-dory weaknesses". Please explain.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't worry, be happy! Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
Fairbro wrote:
.... about inherent C-dory weaknesses ...

I am not aware of any "inherent C-dory weaknesses". Please explain.

Not to answer for Fairbro, but to my mind, like any production boat, the C-Dory has some potential issues. Whether or not to call them weaknesses is open to interpretation.

I'd think of things like core that's not closed out potentially soaking up water, water potentially getting to the transom through the various openings, possible leaks/wet core around the forehatch, possible leaks through bow strip or anchor locker. Rubrail rivet failure, fuel tank issues, vents that can admit water, etc.

None of these are going to sink the boat, but some owners might worry if they haven't checked these areas, and if they are the type to think about these things (and especially if they cannot effect a repair themselves). While these are C-Dory specific things, similar issues are common to the vast majority of production boats (be they higher or lower end - Hinckleys are not without their "things" either).

Maybe this is the type of thing Fairbro was referring to.
Salmon Fisher

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kim Christine
Photos: Kim Christine
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to add:

USE YOUR BOAT!

It likes to get tossed around or get drenched in salt. The engine, she likes to be worked, kind of like the old adage,"If you don't use it, you lose it."

All of the systems need to be used or else they fail to work or become balky. There were quite a few sub systems on our 25 that just were not up to snuff simply because the prior owner didn't use the boat enough. Within the first 6 months, I tracked down items such as lose hose clamps, helm panel going out because the connections on the main bus bar were corroded and loose. Hard starting kicker motor, stiff thru hull valve for wash down pump and the list went on.

Don't worry, Be Happy, Use Your Boat!

2004 25 Cruiser-Present

2000 22 Cruiser 2009-2014 (Sold)
2006 25 Cruiser 2014-2019 (Sold)
1985 22 Classic -2019 (Sold)
1991 19 Arima Sea Ranger-2019-2021 (Sold)
2015 27 Ranger Tug-2019-2023 (Sold)
1987 22 Cruiser -2021-2023 (Sold)

Honey, this REALLY will be my last boat, honest!
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Don't worry, be happy! Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
.... I'd think of things like core that's not closed out potentially soaking up water, water potentially getting to the transom through the various openings, possible leaks/wet core around the forehatch, possible leaks through bow strip or anchor locker. Rubrail rivet failure, fuel tank issues, vents that can admit water, etc.

.... While these are C-Dory specific things, similar issues are common to the vast majority of production boats (be they higher or lower end - Hinckleys are not without their "things" either)....

IMO none of the things mentioned are limited to C-Dory boats. These faults are found in all (most?) boats to one degree or another and are a failure of quality control (or simply "we don't really care" on the part of the manufacturer).

There is a video online of some guy who bought a big Azimut and spent the next two years getting all the problems fixed which included water coming through the roof into the saloon when it rained.

The only inherent weakness of the C-Dory line that occurs to me is that they tend to be stern heavy when typically outfitted and loaded and usually require trim tabs/permatrim to be added to mitigate this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: