The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

in need of impeller R&R asap for Anacortes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
butchpaula

City/Region: Philo
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-WEED
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: in need of impeller R&R asap for Anacortes Reply with quote

We picked up boat from shop yesteday after 7 months of being jacked around unmercilously!
Now all shops and mechanics are booked until mid-June. We live in Mendocino county and can tow boat almost immediately a repair site.
Do you have any suggestions?

(707) 895-3757

bbrjpaula1@yahoo.com
Jim & Dara

City/Region: Santa Rosa
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: PLAN B
Photos: Jim & Dara (TBD)
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had no luck with any Outboard shops here in Sonoma County.

We did try having our motors serviced at Outboard Motor shop in Alameda shortly after we purchased there. Unfortunately while I was towing home across the Richmond bridge my bilge pump started discharging into the lane next to me. When I pulled over I found water in all of the drawers in the cabin and in every compartment. I'm still unclear how they did it. I received the equivalent of a shoulder shrug over the phone and have never been back.

I now do almost all of the servicing of our motors my self. When I need anything else I go to Eagle Marine in Martinez. They know their stuff and have treated us very well. It is a bit of trek from Philo but it might be worth while.
http://www.eaglemarineonline.com/

Good Luck,

Jim
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know what engine you have, but you should be able to buy an impeller kit with all the parts you need for an impeller replacement plus a tube of grease. You should also be able to get a step by step instruction sheet like this:

http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/pe/pdf/pubs/pci54309pdf.pdf

If you can work a ratchet set you can do it yourself. If you have never done it before it is only about a 2 hour job, at least with the Honda BF90. Online stores should have the kits if there is not a place near you.
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 500 hours I decided to replace the impellers...easy job and I just bought the impeller...no need for any of the other stuff....lots of Utube videos to watch and a dab of silicone grease will make it go much easier....

Joel
SEA3PO
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the others. DIY, It is faster, tools are free using your labor, online tutorials and CBs will help, just post some pics. Change the lower unit fluid, too. Check the anodes at same time, Clean the speedo tube if present, and water pressure valve might need replacing
Also, lube mounting bolts, spline of the driveshaft and bushing area (replaceable part), as well as the spline of the prop shaft. Some motors have a zerk fitting behind the propeller on the housing.

ex
http://www.simyamaha.com/category_s/1992.htm

I would change the thermostats too

SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you buy your lower unit oil, don't bother to buy that miserable pump junk that they sell to make the job easier.....it really would be if the fittings were even anywhere close to the size of the drain hole....metric I am sure...the package says it will fit.....but nope...

Another wonderful thing they sell that does not come close to working...

Joel
SEA3PO
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEA3PO wrote:
When you buy your lower unit oil, don't bother to buy that miserable pump junk that they sell to make the job easier.....it really would be if the fittings were even anywhere close to the size of the drain hole....metric I am sure...the package says it will fit.....but nope...

That must depend on the engine/pump. I just used a Yamaha branded pump kit to change the lower unit oil on my Yamaha engine and the threaded tip that came with the pump matched the lower unit threads perfectly. I happened to buy it from SIM Yamaha where they have a set package that includes the lower unit oil, two gaskets, and the pump kit.

(While digging through my supplies I also found a Sierra pump kit from some time in the past that I didn't realize I had when I ordered the Yamaha one; but I didn't try that - maybe that would not have worked. I haven't always had good luck with Sierra.)
BrentB

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
SEA3PO wrote:

That must depend on the engine/pump. I just used a Yamaha branded pump kit to change the lower unit oil on my Yamaha engine and the threaded tip that came with the pump matched the lower unit threads perfectly. I happened to buy it from SIM Yamaha where they have a set package that includes the lower unit oil, two gaskets, and the pump kit.

(While digging through my supplies I also found a Sierra pump kit from some time in the past that I didn't realize I had when I ordered the Yamaha one; but I didn't try that - maybe that would not have worked. I haven't always had good luck with Sierra.)

ditto bought oil and pump from SIM and works perfect
BrentB

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all of the work getting to the pump, I would do a full replacement. m2cw
Darkwater

City/Region: Fort Bragg
Photos: Darkwater
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Butchpaula- I too have not found a consistently good marine mechanic in Mendocino County. I bought a factory service manual for my Honda BF90D and am doing my own maintenance. But it's good to see the recommendation for Eagle Marine in Martinez. If you give them a try, I would be very interested in your experience with them. It's a long tow to get the boat there, but using them for service would give me a good excuse to do some boating on the Delta or Bay.

Do you fish out of Noyo?

Doug in Fort Bragg

C-Ray 230DA sold Aug 2013
Retired Dec 2013
2008 C-Dory 22 Cruiser (unnamed) Jun 2014
butchpaula

City/Region: Philo
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-WEED
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Impeler change follow up Reply with quote

Thanks for all the ideas and feedback - think I'll by a manual and start doing the work myself. Will let you all know what I find out about Eagle in Martinez.

See you out there - thanks again.

Butch
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butch,
If it is a Honda 90, I have very detailed color photos that I took, showing each step. I can't send all of the photos via email unless it is through a different path.
Please let me know if it is the Honda (though all outboard brands are very similar, when removing the lower unit to do water pump repairs).
I work on all brands of outboards and the Honda is dirt simple regarding removal and installation of the lower unit.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
BrentB

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Luck ! Good learning activity and save a lot of time and money. I assume you will be buy a factory shop manual
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy the parts and the manual and stop by my place on your way to anacortes. I will help you do it. I am in Marysville wa a mile off the I 5.
potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the easiest do it yourself jobs on an outboard.

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: