22' C-Dory 20 gal replacement tank

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paverrills

City/Region: Betterton, Maryland
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SALTY-C
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: 22' C-Dory 20 gal replacement tank Reply with quote

I have a need to replace the tank on one side of my C-Dory. The 2005 model has a 20 gallon plastic tank that is bad. Does anyone know a source for a replacement in the Maryland Eastern Shore area?
paverrills@aol.com

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak to the 20-gallon tank, but in case it helps, you CAN buy the Moeller 23-gallon tanks (port, starboard, or both) brand new. Moeller has the rights to sell them, so you can theoretically buy them from any Moeller dealer. I bought a pair when I got my 22 Cruiser. Here are details:

Starboard:

Port:

These will fit either the "plain" cockpit model of 22 Cruiser (no built in flat floor or fuel tank area liner), or the later model with the built in flat floor and fuel tank area liner. They sit back just a bit from the splashwell lip so you can put the full height fiberglass tank concealers in if desired.

If you have the "plain" cockpit sole (I would think you would in 2005 - although I'm surprised you have 20 gallon tanks then?), then you will have a bit of room over the tanks (as I do) where you can potentially put a few things (I have my trim tab hydraulic unit there, plus a few other things). You can see in the notes on the drawing that in February of 2006 they reduced the height by 1". I believe that was to accommodate the new fuel tank area liner (that came along with the built in flat cockpit sole). Prior to that these same tanks were 1" taller and held 25 gallons each. However some long lost C-Dory builder has the rights to those tanks so they can no longer be sole. Luckily the 23-gallon version can.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, re-reading your post, do you mean the water tank that is under the port aft seat? It's kind of hard to tell from your post. If so, I don't know of a direct replacement, but I found a number of tanks that would fit just fine. Varying numbers of gallons vs. how much space you end up with above the tank.

My original tank (which measured out at 17-18 gallons - maybe the exterior dimensions equal 20 gallons...) was not a great fit anyway as installed (outboard edge was riding on chine; bottom was not supported) (although that's solvable by installing a 1/2" base/board).

One good source is Ronco plastics - they make great tanks and have quite a few sizes. They'll put the fill/vent/supply where you want them.

Just for reference, my original water tank was 19" wide, 20-1/4" long (inboard to outboard dimension), and 12" high.
Almas Only

City/Region: Richmond
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Alma's Only
Photos: Alma's Only
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gas or water, and if gas, port or starboard?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: