View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: HassocK Portable Toilet Reply with quote

Anyone have any experience with these compared to a Porta-Potti?

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/reliance-products--hassock-portable-toilet--11946357?green=FE162E1B-4DD6-5FD0-A243-A52A37D2D661&cm_sp=Onsite-Recs-_-MB-_-PDP
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After our "adventure"with using the porta potti on the hook for a week Sad, I vowed to find a better way. So I purchased one of these with all the supplies, bags, deodorant, gel. It's really just a white bucket with a round plastic exterior cover, not fancy at all. Haven't used it yet but I like the idea of bagging the "contents" and throwing it away. I'll report back after the end of the season.

BTW, I bought one for half the WM cost on Amazon last fall.

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
ssobol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with the Hassock is what do you do with the used bags if you are on the hook or in remote areas for an extended period?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up using a galvanized bucket with a wooden seat my father made for many years. However, at that time (1946 to about 1957), one could just dump the sewage overboard.

In today's world, I cannot see lugging poop around. (Urine is generally sterile, or at least it should be; so that can just go overboard) But don't let anyone see you dumping any body waste in the water...

I am not keen on putting feces into dumpsters. Sure we do it with doggy do..but from a public health standpoint there are issues.

Yes, porti potty's are some what of a pain in the rear...in more way than one. But one can find a commode to dump them into fairly easily, or there are specific stations. In many ways, I prefer a port potty to a holding tank--and built in head, with all of the issues involved with those.

If you want a bucket--I have a bunch--and will donate to any one--just pay shipping:

Laughing

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Jazzmanic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Bob that dumping a bag of poop into garbage bags isn't the most desirable position to be in. But last year in Desolation Sound, our Porta Potti was filling up fast with no where to dump it while on the hook. So either case is not the best position to be in.

I did buy the gel that's supposed to turn the liquid into solids. And deodorant to help wih the smell. The reviews I've read online say that the double bag systems they sell are quite sturdy and do a good job of sealing the inside bag so no leaking and keeping the smell down. And I've read in the review about people using cat litter to clump the solid matter. As I stated above, I'll see how it works out. I have had no problems using the Porta Potti for 10 years when we stayed near or around marinas, yes those could be easily dumped. The challenge we ran into last year was how to deal with it when you're on the hook for nearly a week, something I didn't have a lot of experience with.

We'll see how it works out this season. I suppose it all depends on whether or not we're anchored out in the wilderness for an extended amount of time. How do others without a marine head handle this?
ssobol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a Porta-Potti out in the wilderness can't you just handle it like wilderness camping (e.g. go ~100 yards into the woods and dig a hole)?
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
With a Porta-Potti out in the wilderness can't you just handle it like wilderness camping (e.g. go ~100 yards into the woods and dig a hole)?

My guess would be that the differences are thus:

1) Oftentimes chemicals are used in the Porta Potti, so that would make a difference.

2) The typical "cat hole" protocol presumes one "load" per hole. I'd think a week's worth would be a whole different ballgame. (different guidelines, larger hole, deeper, different distances from water, etc.). I know that with my typical small shovel in typical ground there is no way I'd be digging an adequate hole for a week's worth of waste for two people.

This is likely why even in places where cat holes are permitted, one is still not allowed to discharge RV holding tanks. You'd need a backhoe.

(I've used outhouses and catholes in the woods for years, so nothing against the concept in principle.)
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can dump over the side 'solid waste', 3 miles off shore in tidal waters, in Canada. The fish gotta have something to eat, and we eat the fish. Then we dump over the side again. It's a natural circle. Just ask Harvey, he puts chips with his Laughing

Martin.
Larry Patrick

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea -Jo
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started noticing at marinas outside dump services for porta pottys,never took notice till I owned one. We usually took ours after weekends or a few days in back of truck tied and secured ,to dump at home and give it a good cleaning with bleach. Guess when we are on longer outings will try and find the marinas with cleanouts. Any campground has area to dump rv tanks ,might charge you,if your camping its usually free. But this is for regular porta pottys ,don't know if they allow gel type bags?
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the Wag bags on the boat. Even with the poo powder there is an odor if you keep the bags for several days before getting somewhere to dispose of them. I put the used bags in a plastic container with a lid. It got to where I did not want to open the lid.

I find the porta-potty to be the least hassle to deal with as long as there is a place to dump. I have gotten mixed answers to the question of dumping in an park outhouse. I am sure it is not a good thing if it is a composting outhouse. There do seem to be more places to dump a potty than there used to be.
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The potty in our cuddy is small so we added a second one that fits under the stern jump seat + nobody has to get out of bed for the other to use potty at night.

Another option is to buy an identical potty and just carry the second reservoir for double the capacity. Also as Bob said urine can be dumped overboard.

Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now way I would go to carrying bags. We have owned this model on two boats and are very happy with it. The larger capacity model fits in the berth location under the cushion and last us 7 days with no issues. That is for two ladies only because I use a designated mug and shore leave which I actually don't mind.

http://www.dometic.com/USA/MS-11346-Marine/PG-11395-Toilet-Systems/PG-11399-Gravity-Flush-Toilets-and-Bidets/MD-144196-SaniPottie-970-Series-Toilets/SK-145183-SaniPottie-975-portable-toilet-gray

As far as deodorant additives go, I have used many over the years but this is my favorite.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/aqua-kem-toss-ins-12-pack-morning-sky/76052

I put one in our potty then kept is sealed up after 3 days of use for over two months. Not stinky after all that time which surprised me.

I think a product like the hassock could be great for non-regular use but for daily service, a good portahead will keep users happier. Just not me.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I must have typed that fast....sorry for all the errors
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are catching only fecal material, the porti potty should last more than 7 days.

There are multiple ways that ladies can correct urine to dispose of in the water.

I am willing to bet that there are a number of boats in BC which dump sewage in the major straits.

Quote:
Victoria pumps an average of 82 million litres of raw sewage daily into waters just off Victoria’s harbour.
So we know that some cities dump sewage directly. There are studies which show that Victoria's sewage does not go out directly to the Pacific (granted there is a lot of tidal flow in and out of the Straits.
Jazzmanic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, you all have convinced me to alter my plan. I give and call UNCLE. I think I'll continue to use the Porta-Potti and only try using the Hassock if we're planning to be out on the hook for an extended amount of time. I only considered using the Hassock because I had a terrible experience with a full porta-potti last year in Desolation Sound and don't want a repeat of that.

BTW Greg, we use the PP you provided a link to and have continual problems with leaking and lack of seal for using the flush pump.

Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: