The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Tow Vehicles 2013 and newer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby,

I have nothing about the pathfinder, but Ford is feeling the pressure to bring back the beloved Bronco. My son has my old 89 with a 351 - not a single major component has failed on that thing! If you don't remember the MPG on those, it gets 11 in town and 14-16 on the highway - not good! It does however, climb a tree.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Sunbeam. Main reason I started looking was just the mileage turning 100,000. But the more I talk to folks, and knowing how I maintain my vehicles, I think I worry too much about nothing! lol. Of course the other reason is just a consideration for something with a little more room between tow capacity and actual towing. Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.R. My 87 Bronco just had the 302 (5.0L), and I think it actually got a little better mileage than your numbers. But you are right, it could climb a tree. My favorite story/memory with it was in Kodiak AK. I had been up to Pillar Mtn a few times on a paved trail and wondered if there was another way down on the other side. So I asked some of my guys at the air station (I was in the USCG) if there was a trail for 4 wheelers down the other side. Now mind you, I used the term 4 wheelers to refer to 4x4. I think you know where this might be going. They said yes, just keep going past the pavement. Well, this was in late October with some snow / ice already on the ground. Once I started down, I realized the error of my communications, but no way in hell at this point I could turn around and get back up the hill. Came up to one tight spot with some boulders and ice and knew it was going to be dicey. Well, unfortunate luck won out and I hit one spot wrong and did a 180. Just about rolled it, but managed to stay upright. (By this time my twin 3 year olds were just having a grand time giggling and bouncing around in their seats. Mama had her eyes shut and fingernails into the seat!) NO way to turn back around, but figured I had to be close to the bottom, so began backing the rest of the way down, which fortunately was not very far. I was just about at the bottom, and then several enlisted station guys came up on their ATV's, looked at me and said "Sir there is no way you are getting that Bronco up this trail. I could barely muster out the words, no shit, I just came down it! Shocked Colby
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Hey Sunbeam. Main reason I started looking was just the mileage turning 100,000. But the more I talk to folks, and knowing how I maintain my vehicles, I think I worry too much about nothing! lol. Of course the other reason is just a consideration for something with a little more room between tow capacity and actual towing. Colby

Heck, my favorite vehicle to BUY is a one-owner, well-maintained example with only 100,000 miles on the clock Mr. Green Seriously.

On the other considerations, understood.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
colbysmith wrote:

Heck, my favorite vehicle to BUY is a one-owner, well-maintained example with only 100,000 miles on the clock Mr. Green Seriously.

On the other considerations, understood.

In that case I might just have just what you are looking for. A 2001 Toyota Tundra with just tweak over 100K. Well taken care of and garage stored it's entire life. New tires, 4X4 and reasonable Gasser mileage.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

island andy

City/Region: rochester hills
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2007
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Taco and 22 Cruiser Reply with quote

Following is my experience this past week towing a 22 Cruiser from Miramichi, New Brunswick, to Honey Harbour, Ontario.
The distance is about 900 miles.
Terrain varies, but is generally flat with mild hills [less than 4% grade].
Roads were in generally good repair and varied from 4+ lane divided to two lane blacktop.
This particular Toyota Tacoma is a 2010 V6 with factory 6500# tow package.
Boat has 90 hp Etec @ around 350#. No fuel or water in tanks. Usual amount of stuff like anchor &line, winch, galley items, but nothing outstandingly heavy.
Trailer EZ Loader tandem of about #1300 per mfgr.
General conclusion is that I would be happy to use that truck to tow in similar circumstances, but I would not use it to tow across the Rockies or, say, from MI to FL. I would use it to go from SE MI on I 75 to upper MI. It worked pretty hard going up relatively mild hills.
Mileage was from 10.5 in hills and on rough roads, to 13.5, or so, on interstate type highways [Hwy 401, 20, 30]
Bottom line: we made it! Boat is now ensconced in home marina.

colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andrew. Mileage figures sound similar to mine in the Highlander. But I have towed over the Rockies with it, with no problem. After talking to several folks with V8's, I think I'm going to start researching SUV's with the V8. The Tacoma I test drove, was just a little too small for me in the cab. Felt like I was leaning up against the door with my leg. Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I spend more and more time researching a tow vehicle that can do a little bit of everything, ie, decent towing, decent mileage, decent cost, decent passenger vehicle, etc, I've come to the conclusion, it doesn't exist! Sad I also conclude that the towing ratings mean nothing, if curb weight and GVWR or payload is not included right next to the tow rating. So many of the manufacturers will list a serious tow rating, yet if one starts to look at payload you find that it would be very hard to tow up to the tow rating without exceeding payload. At 5,000 lbs on the tow, tongue weight of 7-10% (recommended for boat trailers) is around 350-500 lbs of tongue weight, which must be included in the payload. It's very easy to push 800-1000 lbs of passenger and cargo weight on a vacation. Add in the maximum 500 lb tongue weight, and with many of these late model SUV's/Trucks you are actually above the payload (GVWR), even if well below the tow capacity. I guess I don't understand how they are coming up with the numbers they advertise. Contrary to what some have suggested, I do not feel a Weight Distribution Hitch is prudent on a single pole style boat trailer. And while that might reduce some of the tow vehicles payload weight, it is doing it by increasing the payload weight on your boat trailer axles. I'm not really interested in increasing my trailer axle weight. There are also some cars and trailers that do not accept the use of WDH's.
I think with the case of the CD-22, where one is near, but less than the 5000lb/500lb limit many tow vehicles espouse, or even many hitches without WD restrict too, it comes down to the tow vehicle's payload as the limiting factor. With the light weight material and build of most modern small pickup's and SUV's, that payload limits the vehicles usefulness as a "workhorse".
End result? I'm still looking for an SUV with good reviews, but for now it really does look like my best bet is to keep maintaining my Highlander, be aware of it's payload numbers, and hope it continues to serve me well until I can find a good replacement.
Colby
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
I also conclude that the towing ratings mean nothing, if curb weight and GVWR or payload is not included right next to the tow rating.

Isn't that the truth! I've towed my 22 with two different "large" vehicles, and while both are completely up to the task of towing my ~5,000# C-Dory/trailer (while staying inside ratings on GVWR, GAWR, etc.), they have both been "rated to tow" MUCH more. Ha, no way. Unless you either gutted the vehicle and/or went way over the ratings for rear axle, etc.

(First rig was "rated to tow" 7,500#; current rig is rated to tow 8,500#.)

I knew this going in, so I was able to make sure that 5,000# would be fine, but geez, NO WAY could I ever even come close to touching the "rated" towing capacity. I'm not talking just a smidge over, either.

This one was one of the big reasons I went with a 22 vs. the Cape Cruiser 23 (which has some nice features). I knew that the types of vehicles I wanted to buy and tow with would do just fine with my 4,500-5,000#, but another thousand pounds would not have worked well.

Anyway, back to your shopping...
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save that Highlander for now and take a look at the 2017 Honda Ridgeline set to be released this month.

It starts at 26,000+ in front, yes front wheel drive form and runs about 32k in AWD form all the way into the low 40k range for all the options.

Rated to tow 5000lbs and up to 600lbs hitch load and the payload for the vehicle is just under 1600lbs so you could actually use that 5k rating!

There are some early review out in the last few days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xmnsy54Ohmk

http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/the-2017-honda-ridgeline-is-solid-but-a-little-too-muc-1775023406

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/05/09/2017-honda-ridgeline-first-drive-review/

I know we will be watching and considering as our Hyundai ages out of our possession.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Greg. I'll have to do that. Honda is another good product. I looked at the Pilot before, but didn't like the leg room with the center console. (Which is usually the case with many of the SUV's.).... Perhaps the Ridgeline will have more room. I really don't like paying for a new car, and seeing it depreciate as soon as I drive it off the lot. But still, maybe worth a look. Colby
Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful with the depreciation worries. That factor in new car vs. used car purchases is not as clear cut as it may seem.

I am on vehicle #23 in 24 years (I drive a lot (~50k per year) and love it) so I get to think about this very regularly and weight the numbers.

How long you plan to keep the car can relate very much to the sting of depreciation as can warranty coverage or financing differences between new and used. The model year and timing of your purchase related to a model redesign can also severely steer the outcome. Brands and models also vary in the amount of depreciation which is something my father recently experienced as a diehard used car buyer. It went like this...

-I really want that new model Subaru Forester...(he drove mine and couldn't shake it)
-I will wait a bit and pick up a lightly used one...
-A year of looking for deals passes...
-Damn, I keep looking and all I can find is a low mile car without the warranty for a wopping few hundred less than new....
-I guess I can keep waiting or start enjoying what I want today...
-He bought new for the first time in over 40 years and has no regrets and plans to keep it forever (this is a muscle car guy!)

Or a slighted dated by relevant Toyota truck (low depreciation) example picked from an article on depreciation factors...

"For instance, the Toyota Tacoma, known for its strong resale value, suffers about $5,600 of depreciation in its first year, from a $19,205 sticker price (and a $18,200 market price). Allow $2,500 for repairs and maintenance in five years for the new 2010 Tacoma, versus nearly $5,700 over five years for a used 2008 Tacoma that costs roughly $14,000. This lower number for repairs and maintenance actually helps bring the total cost of ownership for the new Tacoma right in line with the used 2008 model, when you calculate it over five years: about $35,200 to $35,000, according to Vincentric. In this case, it certainly makes sense to start with the new one."

In contrast, one of my favorite personal examples was the first vehicle refresh (from our first lives) Cindie and I did before getting married.

She traded in her loaded 2004 Chevy SUV for 18,500 (paid 48k new!)
I traded in my mid grade 2004 Honda SUV for 18,200 (paid 22 new and had double the miles)

I think you can guess which one of us was upset.

Greg
Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another realistic early review.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/first-drives/news/a29107/2017-honda-ridgeline-first-drive-review/

Greg
westward

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you were able to stay within its tow capacity the new Ridgeline makes a lot of sense. I really believe with front wheel drive there is no need for AWD/4WD for most users. You would get a tow vehicle with car manners and crossover MPG. Too, this is a vehicle you wouldn't feel piggish about driving to the soccer field or the store. Not too cumbersome to park, store, or drive in urban settings. I would expect reliability and resale value to be top notch. True it has no low gear range, but neither does the Highlander or any of the other crossovers. Maybe use the Highlander another year to see the Ridgeline prove its real world performance? I would not expect a significant discount buying used for this vehicle, as it will be exceedingly popular with a wider audience than most pickups. My prediction is that Honda has a real winner with this vehicle. Once one's tow weight climbs above about 5K pounds, however, I would still suggest a body-on-frame type truck or SUV as a tow vehicle. So many ways for a boater to spend his money!!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that there is a lot common with the Honda Pilot and Ridgeline. Same chassis (unibody), same engine and transmissions. I owned a pilot for 10 years, and enjoyed it. (A nephew now has it, and it is running well with about 200K) I am sure that the latest versions, are imported over the 2003 model. I also towed the first C Dory 22 a few times with it. OK on the flats, and I did take it over the Cajon Pass, but I would not recommend it for a lot of long distance towing/mountain driving.

Not sure what the West Coast prices are on the Toyota Tacoma (tow capacity 3500#)--but around Pensacola they start at $27,000 reaching over $40,000 tricked out. The Tundra (Capacity 6400# on up) starts at about $32,000, and tops $50,000 in the local markets...

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: