The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Tow Vehicles 2013 and newer
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Tow Vehicles 2013 and newer Reply with quote

For the past several years I have been pulling my CD-22 with a 2010 Toyota Highlander, with the V6 and tow package. This Highlander is rated to tow up to 5000 lbs, and has done a swell job towing my boat on long distances and even over the Rockies a few times. It's going to turn over 100,000 miles soon, and while it shows no signs of slowing down, the better part of me says with the high mileage towing I do, including over high elevations, it might be time to get a lower mileage vehicle. My Highlander routinely gets me 23 mpg on the highway, and I think around 17 in town. Towing, at 60 mph and slower, no wind or hills, I average about 12-14, pretty respectable considering I'm towing 4800 lbs. I would like to maintain this kind of mileage, and while I am inclined to just trade my Highlander in for a newer model, lower mileage, I'm also considering what else is available. Particularly that might be rated to handle a little higher weight, and still get the same kind of mileage. And without breaking the bank.

Doing some quick review and looking around the last few days, I've come across two possibilities. (I've already pretty much ruled diesel out, as I don't care to go to a larger size truck.) A 2015 Ford F-150 super cab with the 3.5 econo-boost V6, 3.31 rear end, and I believe fully loaded GVWR of 7200 would allow it to tow about 8000 lbs. (That's using the numbers off the door post, approximately...) I've been told the F150 weighs around 5000 lbs. The second possibility is a 2014 (or newer) Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 3.5 V6. That year also came out with a diesel model (6 cyl), which might be a possibility. (I'm looking at a specific F-150, that doesn't show tow package on the sticker nor does it come with anything more than the bumper hitch; and just generally some Jeep Grand Cherokees, 2014 and newer, with the V-6. NO diesels in used stock right now...)

I'm just wondering if anyone is running either of these makes, and what experience you've had with mileage and maintenance. Or if there are any other vehicles I should look at. Again, mileage is the first priority, with tow rating the second. I realize diesels are known to make good tow vehicles for both these priorities, but I'm also looking to stay in something no larger than the 150 or Grand Cherokee. (The Highlander was actually a very good all around vehicle for size and such.) Colby

Colby
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would look at the 2.7 Ecoboost F150 also. It has great expert reviews and only a few bucks more than the base V6 engine. I drove one, it was fast and very powerful, and felt just like the 3.5 Eco. But, I really needed payload and a place to hang a plow and neither the 2.7 or 3.5 will let you do that. Too bad too; I really liked them both of them.

So, I got the F150 Super Crew with a 5.0 V8, the snow plow package, the 3300 pound payload package, 3.73 gears, and max trailer. They only had one 2015 - it was easy to pick. So far, with mostly open country driving, some 4 way stops, but a lot of go, and your typical curves and such, it is getting really close to 19-20 MPG. On the highway at 65 mph, it gets a couple mpg better. I'm pretty happy with it and it tows the CD 22 very, very well and is rated to tow around 11,000 pounds in this configuration - a lot! While it tows and hauls somewhat less, but still far more than you need to deal with a CD 22, the Eco 2.7 will do quite a bit better in the mpg department.

While I do wish I could have landed with an Eco, I can't really complain about the 5.0 with its 385 hp and 387 ft/lbs of torque. I'm not going to lie, I like this truck way better than I thought I would.
CDory23

State or Province: CA
Photos: CDory23
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lately, I"ve been looking at a new tow vehicle as well. I currently own a 2001 Dakota 4.7L that I've been decently happy with, but miles are getting high, I keep having to do small repairs, and I like the idea of a quad cab truck.

I have also heard great things about the ecoboost engine, both 2.7l and 3.5l. It's definitley worth a look. This is obviously a byist video but very interesting and at the least entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tEqwXrqzH4

You should have great resale from your highlander, and if thats something important to you, maybe look at the tacoma. It towes 6400lbs which is more then adequate for the 22. I have been looking at used Tacomas and was amazed at the resale value of them, so much that it may be worth it to just buy new.

I wonder if anybody on here tows a 22 with a Tacoma and has mpg info? Please include engine.

I think in general you will like switching to a truck from an SUV if thats what you decide to do. With the Quads cab Long beds its almost as if its both vehicles. From home improvement projects to general hauling things around its much more convenient. It keeps anything you put in the back "seperate" from the passenger space. I always bring fire wood with me when staying on the boat overnight and like the fact its in the truck bed. A downfall is if you use at a daily driver and don't have enough weight over the rear axle it can drive a little bumpy and be annoying. Nothing you don't already know

I will enjoy seeing how this thread goes.
Easyvictor.14

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Easy Victor
Photos: Easy Victor
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel. Tows up to 9000lbs, gets over 30mpg highway in 2wd version.
I have a 4wd Larimie Crew Cab and tow my 23 Venture (5680lbs loaded) and I get 17mpg highway. Love the truck.

1981 T Craft 26 center console
1981 Silverton 34
1979 Chapparal 187
Many, many other small aluminum, wood and fiberglass toys!!!
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After more research on the specific F150 I was looking at, I found it did not have a tow package, and according to all the Ford info I could find, that would restrict it to only towing up to 5000 lbs. SO I'll keep looking in that department. (But the data shows that F150's with a tow package are pretty decent workhorses.)

I believe the Tacoma only comes with the 8 cylinder, so I would expect lower mileage numbers.

I did have a Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab earlier, but when I got a 1988 SeaRay 268 Sundancer, found it was under-rated to tow that 9800 lb boat when all the numbers were added up, and it felt as such... It also had an 8 cylinder so mileage wasn't great. Otherwise, it was pretty nice...

I'll have to look at the Dodge Eco Diesel. If it's available with good reviews in the 1500, and not to expensive, that might be an option. I know trucks are great utility vehicles, but I also appreciate the complete enclosure of an SUV.
CDory23

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tundra is an 8 cylinder. The tacoma can be a 6 or an 8.
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby,

We have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the V-6 eco-diesel; 250 hp and
420 ft-lb torque (this is more than the 5.7L V-8 in my Ram 1500 with 390 ft-lbs
which tows my CD 26 Venture just fine). The eco-diesel is rated to tow 7400 lbs
and gets about 28 mpg w/o towing. It's a nice vehicle; the Overland.

This eco-diesel is also available in the 1500 Ram truck which may have slightly
different numbers but still probably more than adequate to haul your load.

I would not buy a tow vehicle with a gas V-6 as the torque (read: power) drops
way off and would be OK if you drove downhill all the time but marginal on the
flats and wimpy in the mountains. Forget about passing anything*.
Plus, with a gas V-6 vehicle, you can't get a word in at the bar with the big boys.

Look at torque and compare. It's torque you want in a tow vehicle.

Aye.

* have you noticed all the tractors out there?

Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Tow Vehicles 2013 and newer Reply with quote

I would look for a new or used Volkswagen Touareg diesel. The older ones are rated for 7400 pounds the 2015 model is rated for maximum towing at 7716 pounds. I never drove one but rode in one and they are a nice vehicle. The new ones have an E.P.A. mileage listed at 20/29 mpg. The curb weight is listed at 4974 pounds with a payload of 1155 pounds. Go drive one you will be surprised.
D.D.

colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the V-6 eco-diesel; 250 hp and
420 ft-lb torque (this is more than the 5.7L V-8 in my Ram 1500 with 390 ft-lbs
which tows my CD 26 Venture just fine). The eco-diesel is rated to tow 7400 lbs
and gets about 28 mpg w/o towing. It's a nice vehicle; the Overland.

This eco-diesel is also available in the 1500 Ram truck which may have slightly
different numbers but still probably more than adequate to haul your load.

I would not buy a tow vehicle with a gas V-6 as the torque (read: power) drops
way off and would be OK if you drove downhill all the time but marginal on the
flats and wimpy in the mountains. Forget about passing anything*.
Plus, with a gas V-6 vehicle, you can't get a word in at the bar with the big boys.

Look at torque and compare. It's torque you want in a tow vehicle.

Foggy, thanks for that info on the Grand Cherokee. That is one I'm still looking into. There are no 2015 Dodge 1500 with eco-diesel to be found in my neck of the woods. (And I really don't prefer to buy a brand new one.) Regarding your comments about the gas V6, as I said I have been very happy with my Highlander, and at least towing no more than the CD-22, would put it up against anything else out there even over the mountains. I had no problem keeping my 60 mph over the Rockies, except on the really steep grades at high elevation, in which case I still had no problem staying up with or ahead of all the other RV traffic, and many other vehicles as well. It really does the job nicely. The other nice thing is this is a great all around use vehicle (just like the C-Dory is a great all around use boat.) Fits nicely in the garage with room to still walk around, seats a family nicely, looks good, and very decent mileage. But I do consider maybe having a little more room between actual towed weight and what the tow vehicle is rated for, something I am right up against now. None the less, if I can't find something reasonably priced, that still is very good in mileage, I have no problem continuing to run with my current Highlander, or trading it for a newer model, lower mileage one.
BTW, I haven't taken the Ford F150 with the ecoboost out of the picture yet. Just the specific one I was looking at doesn't appear to have a tow package or Limited slip rear end, and those are pretty much deal breakers for me.
The specs on the Highlander V6, 270-hp @ 6,200 rpm and 248 lbs.-ft. @ 4,700 rpm. More than enough apparently for the 4800 lbs I'm towing!Smile
Thanks again for that info on your Grand Cherokee. I definitely need to look into those next. Sounds like it would pretty much compare to my Highlander, but with the diesel and higher tow ratings that I would prefer. Colby
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Toyota Tacoma does not and did not come with a V8. It has had 4 and 6 cylinder options for years and the current V6 has been updated again.

It is one vehicle I sometimes consider for our towing needs but my general lack of interest in trucks has me waiting to see the new Honda Ridgeline. The newest version of the Pilot is a great vehicle and I am hoping the Ridgeline will be even better. Now I just need to convince Cindie to drive one.

We tow with a Hyundai Sante Fe and it does well with a 5000lb limit but eventually we will be looking again as we like to keep cars fresh as well.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Gene&Mary

City/Region: Seattle/Center Island
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Linnea
Photos: Linnea
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just bought a Ford F150 supercab 2.7 L eco-boost for both an RV and our C22. Towing is rated at 7600#. It got 22.9 mpg on our first long distance trip; we were not towing anything on that trip. We will see how that drops when we start to tow. The 2.7 L has a surprising amount of power.
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Tow Vehicles 2013 and newer Reply with quote

Towing, at 60 mph and slower, no wind or hills, I average about 12-14, pretty respectable considering I'm towing 4800 lbs. I
Colby[/quote]

So what is the towing MPG in the wind and on the hills?
D.D.
westward

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a word of caution on the used Toureg suggested earlier: For several years that vehicle was the worst rated of all vehicles for reliability. I wish it were not the case, as it would seem to meet the combined need for towing and economy very well, without too cumbersome a form. But you can't get around its exceedingly poor reliability history, and european cars are expensive to have repaired.
CDory23

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I mistyped. I meant the Tacoma can be a 6 or a 4.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a Jeep Grand Cherokee - it was a great tow vehicle... for towing behind a motorhome. Very comfortable. BUT, it is a crossover, and is unibody construction, not body-on-frame. Ours had a tow rating of 5,000 pounds (IIRC), but towing a 4,000 pound (all up) boat/trailer was not pleasant. Traded it for a Tahoe - much better for towing.

If you want a 4 wheel drive that rides like a luxury car, it can't be beat... but there are plenty of other better options if you want to tow a boat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: