The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Over the side rail ladder. Thanks for input
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greeneyegi

State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: SS-TD
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Over the side rail ladder. Thanks for input Reply with quote

Ive decided to go with the stowaway ladder for the side of my 03 22' cruiser .
Having twin motors has made this decision, for now, easy.
I am looking for tried and true ladders that go great with our boats.Pics would be great.
potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--gunwale-mount-ladders--P012868550

This one worked great on our 22 cruiser and is now working great on our Ranger Tug.

Buy an extra set of mounting brackets and install them on both sides so you can move the ladder port to starboard.

You will really like this ladder if you or crew are frequent swimmers. The steps are just wide enough, and the 4 steps are deep enough in the water to make getting on board very easy.

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
greeneyegi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would 5 make it easier or is four plenty?
thanks for the reply
Fairbro

City/Region: Prescott
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Minnie Swann
Photos: Minnie Swann
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My solution is photo 39 in my album. Sorry I don't know how to get that picture from there to here. This served us well as a comfortable way to get into the cockpit from the dock too. It could be used on either side but we stored it in place on the starboard side. It was never in the way and always handy.

It's something in the water!
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the photo. Smile

potter water

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The four step is really perfect for the 22 if you and yours are in reasonable health and mobility.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be negative, as I have a similar ladder on the rear at the cockpit of my boat, as well as one at the front next to the bow pulpit, and a swim step too, but the one limitation I can think of with these over the gunnel ladders when used alone, is that if you fall overboard and are alone, you cannot get to the ladder to re-board the boat unless the ladder is already deployed over the side. Visualize: You're in the water, and the ladder is down inside the cockpit! No way to reach, deploy, and re-board. Advantage: Swim Step.

Also, if you are older, heavier, and not so strong and agile as you used to be, an extra step might make a difference to you, perhaps the difference between re-boarding and not. (Advice from a 73 year old.)

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
greeneyegi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Here's the photo. Smile

Is this the one from west marine?recomended in first reply?
greeneyegi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant get info online ,do the ladders come with the plasic inserts i see in pics that the ladder fits into on the gunnels?
thanks
potter water

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the one that can be seen in the west marine post up top. The gunnels don't need to be holed for the larger gunnel mount shown in the second set of photos from another poster. For the west marine, you do drill for two stainless surface plates that you screw to the top of the gunnel. The ladder has a matching, "nub" on each rail that slides into a slot on those surface mounted plates on the gunnel. It locks in and can also stow the ladder by placing it on the inside of the cockpit with the bottom folded up.

Caution, don't leave any boarding ladder over the side when underway. Regarding an emergency re-board for the single hander or emergency re-board, my 22 gunnel was low enough that I could get a hand on the ladder to move it outboard in an emergency overboard. However, I also keep a single step sling ladder on board that can be pulled in an emergency, even from outside the boat. If you went overboard and are in physical trouble from injury, then all bets are off if you are single handing. Our low free board Dory's and my Ranger 21 tug are not the problem that many high free board boats present when trying to struggle back on board.
Fairbro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting my picture, Colbysmith. The black sockets came with the ladder from West Marine. You can order extra sockets for different locations. I didn't go with the clip system because they are designed key-hole fashion to only hold secure from one direction and I wanted to use the ladder for stepping safely down into the cockpit from a dock in addition to getting in from the water. Very good handholds already on the boat (roof rails etc.) two big holes for the sockets that provide dual purpose or 8 little holes for the one way plates. Whatever.
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you use, make sure the stand-off posts are as long as possible. When boarding the boat heels some and your weight will force the ladder into the boat and you will find your weight hanging out too far for easy boarding. Been there,fought that. Finally tied a big fender on the inside of the ladder to keep it out a bit.
Fairbro

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I mentioned that I extended the standoffs. Easy to do using the left-over tubeing from cutting off the bottom step. Use smaller telescoping sized pieces about 4 inches long. Pop-rivet the smaller tubes 2" (or centered) inside the larger ones to strengthen the splice. ALUMINUM RIVITS! If you enlarge the pictures in the standoff area you can see the splice and the rivits. Takes a little nerve to cut up a $100 ladder but at least you know it will work, I wasn't sure until it was done.
potter water

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that for me, a 3 step is too short, and would be unusable for my 5 foot tall wife, so take that into consideration before buying a 3 step or cutting off a fourth step.

I like the idea of using a fender for keeping the ladder out further from the hull if needed, but I found on my 22 that the standard hull push-off braces that are part of the ladder placed it easily such that when boarding at my weight of 200 lbs, that the ladder tilted off vertical only a small amount and didn't cause any boarding problems.

I have bad nerves in my feet and have to wear boat shoes or water shoes on my ladder. My spouse has no problem with the rung width. Of course in an emergency I'll get up that ladder dang quick, shoes or no shoes. Some folks prefer a very wide rung and some even add a teach board to each rung.
greeneyegi

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased the ladder from west marine.It only came with these little metal hanger type pieces.
Im looking for the word to search for the SS pieces you install after drilling holes to hang the ladder in on side.
thanks guys
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: