View previous topic :: View next topic  
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Flamingo wrote:
South of Heaven wrote:
I like the ease and freedom of propane or alcohol.

Having now cooked on board over the years with propane, butane, alcohol, white gas, diesel, wood, and induction, I'd say that induction allows the most ease and freedom. Push a button it's on. Push a button, it's off.

Maybe alcohol stoves have improved since I used them. I had to pour a little in a cup and light it on fire to start the thing. Then there was filling the little tank, best done by moving everything out on shore. And you will find out which surfaces are ruined by alcohol, after you have ruined them. And it put out an amazing amount of water vapor. I wouldn't go back to that or a Coleman type white gas stove. White gas has all of the mess and moisture, plus it stinks.

I've used the little butane stoves quite a bit and still have one (plus a bunch of extra canisters because you can think that the thing is off when it is slowly leaking). The canisters are more common now, but still not common enough that you don't need to carry a couple extra. Butane would be my distant second choice on a small boat. The butane unit and a couple extra canisters takes up easily three times the space of an induction burner. Space that is really precious on a 16.

Some day I am going to learn how to put a picture in a post.

Mark

I've never used alcohol/butane but my Mr. Buddy propane heater is so easy. Twist on a 1lb can and go. No fuss.
The induction burner sounds like a good option but I don't wanna add another thing to my electrical system. On top of the normal draws (GPS, FF, 2 bilge pumps, VHF radio), I also have a 4 speaker music system, custom LED surround lights and
other various hard wired units. At this point I don't wanna add an inverter just to be able to cook some fish once in a while.

To your question of "adding pics": It's simple once you get the steps down.
1.Go to your pic album or any pic for that matter and right click on it.
2. Then "copy the image address".
3. When you reply to a post or thread, click on the "img" button in the toolbar in the C Brats box.
4. Then paste the address that cut earlier.
5. Finally, press the "img" button again.

Basically, the "img" should be before and after the image address.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco,

I don't think very many people would be referring to pressurized alcohol stoves any more (the eyebrow singe-ers it sounds like you were using). These days it's typically referring to an Origo style stove. This basically uses a "pot" of alcohol that's been soaked into a bundle of something (cotton or the like). You just light it. No pumping, no pressure.

I have my preferences (true propane system is my favorite) but still don't see any no-brainer "best" cooking fuel aboard. More like choosing one's preferred fuel, along with it's particular foibles.

The modern (non-pressurized) alcohol stoves are very safe, easy to install (no "systems"), you can store as much fuel as you like, and they are easy to operate. On the other hand there is a slight odor (which some people don't like), it's not quite as BTU efficient as other fuels, and it can be a bit expensive per BTU (but for the amount of cooking most people do on a C-Dory that's probably inconsequential). So I'd say they should be legitimately in the running for anyone considering the various stoves/fuels.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark- This photo?

(Caption below)

"This is a $45 induction cooker connected to a 800W modified sine wave inverter.
The lowest setting is a nice simmer and the highest setting could fry.
It doesn't trip the inverter.
It seems to be about a quick as a microwave and no open flame."

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

South of Heaven wrote:
At this point I don't wanna add an inverter just to be able to cook some fish once in a while.

I hear that. I already had the inverter, so that made it a little easier to decide to go with 110V aboard. But I'm trying to get everything to do at least dual duty and I haven't yet found another good reason to have 110V on board.

Here is a recent lunch stop where I cooked some Ramen noodles on my burner. I'm still kind of on topic and get to try posting a picture.

So why is the picture so small?

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Flamingo wrote:

So why is the picture so small?

Mark

It looks like you are SOOOO close! What I think happened is that when you went to your album and got the "image location," you did it with the thumbnail instead of opening up the full image, which is what you want to do. See how the code you used has the word "thumb" in it? (I left off the img tags so we could see the code).

www.c-brats.com/albums/album2471/101_0600.thumb.jpg

If I do the same thing you did but remove the word thumb, it's nice and big! If you had used the big photo instead of the thumbnail it would have done that automatically.

There is one more option. With some of your photos (depends on how large a file you uploaded, I think), there is a thumbnail, then a "reasonably large" photo, and then a "full sized" one that you get if you click on it a second time. If you have that option, then when you click on the first one (big but not full sized) it will have "sized" in the code instead of "thumb." All that is changing is the part JUST before ".jpg" so just focus on that.

So first is "thumb" which is what you used (because you got your image from the thumbnail and not the larger image).

code without img tags:

http://www.c-brats.com/albums/album2471/101_0600.thumb.jpg

What shows up if I add the img tags:

Next is "sized" (first stage of larger photo). First without img tags:

http://www.c-brats.com/albums/album2471/101_0600.sized.jpg

Then with img tags:

And next is the full size (which may not be desired, just depends)

Without tags so you can see the code:

http://www.c-brats.com/albums/album2471/101_0600.jpg

Then with the img tags added:

So again, it's all in the code that's just before .jpg The first one (small one you did) was made from the thumbnail and has "thumb" in the code. The second one was made from the larger image (one click "up" from the thumbnail) and has "sized" in the code instead of "thumb." The third one was made from the larger image you get after clicking on the medium sized one, and has no code where "thumb" or "sized" are on the first two. It's the biggest possible image from your album.

So there are two ways to get the larger images. One is to simply go to your album, click to the size of photo you want (likely not thumb, but the larger or largest size), and use that to copy/paste into your post and then add the image tags. It's all automatic then. The other way is to bring any one of the three over, but remove/add/change the words "thumb" or "sized" or nothing just before the .jpg to get what you actually want to show up. In other words, all three versions are the same code, except for the little bit that says "thumb," "sized" or nothing in that one spot (nothing being full sized) right before .jpg

I tend to use "sized" if there is no special detail that must be seen, just to make sure folks don't have to scroll side-to-side in the thread. But I will sometimes use the largest image if it's advantageous.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks as if you have room on the back of the seat pedestals to put in the burner and sink as shown. I would first find a sink which will fit in the area. See how much room is below it--to get a good drain overboard--and keep the thru hull above the water line. You may also want to measure how much room is available for the water tank. There is a very small 12 volt pump, by Jabsco which fits in line, and then you don't have the issue of putting in a manual pump--which will be problematic for your layout.

If you want manual, then a Whale foot activated pump may be best. These can be cabinet or floor mounted.

We have a larger NuWave induction burner, which we can run off the Honda EU 1000 (at "medium" setting). The small induction which Marco has also uses 1200 watts, but should work at the low setting. (or an an inviter).

We have an aversion to the propane or butane (butane vaporization pressure is such that it has to be warmed in cold weather--propane is better for that), because of the danger of fire and explosion--not personal experience, by my best friend spent over 3 months in a burn unit due to those bad "seals"--with 30% 3rd degree body burn. We do carry propane single burner, as a back up--and it is only used out of doors.

If you are using lubricants on fuel "O" rings, be sure that the material is comparable with that "O" ring material. Petroleum products are generally not recommended for rubber. Special silicone oil and greases are recommended.
Parker and several other companies make specific lubricants.

If I was only occasionally using the stove, the small induction would be very tempting--with a small PSW inverter 1200 watts, or even 800 watts and keep the burner on medium, which is plenty to cook most items and boil water for coffee.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam,

Thanks. I think I have it now.

As to the sink, I've seen a few examples on the web using a dishpan, a collapsible water jug, and a bulb pump. A hose runs from the collapsible jug to the squeeze pump (like the bulb on an outboard tank) and then to the dishpan as a sink. That allows you to step on the bulb and squirt water on your hands, etc. Some of the setups were quite clever and the total cost is about $20.

Since everything has to serve more than one purpose, the plastic dishpan would also be my washing machine and the bulb pump and hose could also be set up as a shower.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: