View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jackie

City/Region: Ketchikan
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lil' Bit
Photos: Lil Bit
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:19 pm    Post subject: Baby steps... Reply with quote

Thought I'd share that I picked up my boat from the barge last evening and towed it to a co-workers lot. My grandson, whom I'm watching while his folks are out of town, helped me. But he's not even three so I'm counting this as my first solo adventure. It was an adventure because when my friend described the turn to the lot she forgot to use the phrase 'wildly overgrown wilderness track!' Otherwise I might not have missed it which necessitated a more than three point turn in the next neighbor's driveway to get turned back around! But I did it.

After unhooking, my grandson and I messed around a bit looking it over, learning what a 'hatch' is and how to open and shut it. We will work on not pulling kill switch cords at a later date. We practiced napping in the vee berth to see if we thought we could camp comfortably. The verdict was 'yes.' His favorite part was the porta potty which is what I remember from a really old Bayliner we had once. My youngest son had to pee at least 20 times per fishing trip, but only in the porta potty. I'm going to go out on a limb and say this must be a male fascination.

It took quite awhile to pick it up because the man at the barge was so excited about my little boat. He said he'd been waiting to see who'd come get it and that he had looked all through it. He and the others had noted the 2008 engine, but also the pristine condition of everything, so they'd been running scenarios on where it might have been, how it stayed so nice, etc. We talked a long time. He had already looked up C-dory and knew they'd been bought by SeaSport; he'd read a lot about how they're built and the changes through the years; he'd even looked for CD 16's online to buy! I think we have a convert!

I posted a couple of pics in my album and have a question: how can I delete one of them? I accidentally uploaded a shot of Hudson's infected foot! Yuck! I see that delete is one of the "photo actions" but it won't let me actually do it. If it takes an admin, then someone please get rid of that! I was uploading from my phone and just couldn't see that small, I guess.

Looking around the boat I really realized that there was nothing that came with it but the engine. I need to buy all the required safety gear (I could borrow it from my other boat, but I'll sell it with so I'd rather get Lil Bit her own new stuff) and lines and fenders...and a drain plug...before I put her in the water. Sigh. A few more days and we'll go for a real adventure!

Jackie
MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2016
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackie, thanks for sharing this update, it has been fun following your search and now delivery of your new 16!

The comments about the man on the barge gave me a chuckle...but you better get used to that as a 16 owner...you will forever receive compliments and thumbs up everywhere you go, from the gas station, to the launch ramp, out on the water, and just random places as you drive down the road. It's just part of the fun of owning a c-dory!

Eagerly looking forward to your first report out on the water!

-Mike
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackie,

Nice story, and Congratulations on another step in the process. That's a pretty good looking boat and helper too. Looks like they are a good size match, and going forward should be great fun.

Mike is right about the C-Dory being an attractant everywhere. I have been flagged down on the highway, woke up in the Walmart parking lot, and waylaid in the launch line-up. All because of "cute boat" syndrome.

Enjoy,

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Baby steps... Reply with quote

Jackie wrote:
<stuff clipped>
His favorite part was the porta potty which is what I remember from a really old Bayliner we had once. My youngest son had to pee at least 20 times per fishing trip, but only in the porta potty. I'm going to go out on a limb and say this must be a male fascination.
<more stuff clipped>

Jackie

Once he's tall enough and he learns he can pee over the side, life will never be the same. My buddy's son enjoys nothing more than peeing off the back of the boat. You're right, it is a male fascination. Laughing

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Baby steps... Reply with quote

rogerbum wrote:
Jackie wrote:
<stuff clipped>
His favorite part was the porta potty which is what I remember from a really old Bayliner we had once. My youngest son had to pee at least 20 times per fishing trip, but only in the porta potty. I'm going to go out on a limb and say this must be a male fascination.
<more stuff clipped>

Jackie

Once he's tall enough and he learns he can pee over the side, life will never be the same. My buddy's son enjoys nothing more than peeing off the back of the boat. You're right, it is a male fascination. Laughing

Wait until he does that on a dark night. That'll bring on a whole new fascination.

Just sayin Laughing

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will get lots of attention with a 16. I'm thinking of having cards made up that I can hand out. That way I can get out of the gas station, rest area, etc., without having to stay and answer questions.

I was recently in the little town of Chelan and the city fire truck passed me going the other way. It then came up behind me and flashed its lights. Pulled over by the fire department? My boat's not on fire. Call my attorney.

The driver rolled down his window and the passenger yelled "what kind of boat is that!"

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jack keifer

City/Region: Boise
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Squirt
Photos: C-Squirt
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:53 am    Post subject: Baby steps Reply with quote

A good looking boat! One solution to all the questions, injuries, travel delays, etc., is to acquire a travel cover. That will reduce the above to the times when you are on the water, and keep your craft a lot cleaner. 16s seem to generate more conversation than 22s. Enjoy the ride.
Jack

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peeing over the side/back of the boat is

1. utilitarian- "when ya' gotta go, ya' gotta go.....!"

2. a male thing- however you interpret it.

3. dangerous at times when in big seas or moving at speed- among sailboat racers and fishermen it's well known that the most common cause of MOB and death comes from this act.
Be cautious and don't take unnecessary risks, especially when alone. Let that bucket be your friend.

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Jackie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cover for the boat is a good idea, not to cut down on gawking specifically, but we get 13 feet of rain annually which really is hard on boats! I don't mind attention to the boat, but no one better troll over to talk about it while I'm reeling in the derby winning King!

Jackie
Thorne

City/Region: Whale Pass, Prince of Wales Island, Southeast Alaska
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Persistence
Photos: Persistence
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will be trailering our 22' Angler from Whale Pass to Metlakatla in mid-August.

I'll wave as we pass through Ketchikan.
Jackie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thorne, I remember you mentioning that in another post and wondered you'd be doing in Met? It's funny, but in 27 years I've never gone there. No particular reason to, though I camp at Bostwick Bay and watch their 'city' lights at night.

And by 'trailering' you mean loading on the POW ferry to Ketchikan then switching to the ferry to Annette! Enjoy.

Jackie
dave

City/Region: Riverview
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Cocoon
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to a friend in the Coast Guard, peeing over the side is legal. Peeing in a container and dumping it over the side is not legal.
Thorne

City/Region: Whale Pass, Prince of Wales Island, Southeast Alaska
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Persistence
Photos: Persistence
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Jackie,

I'll be the HS science teacher. My wife will be the K-8 counselor.

The boat is in need of a complete overhaul, which will start next month and be completed in Metlakatla.
Jackie

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, Dave, that law seems a bit unfair to women! I'll stick to the bucket and take my chances with the coast guard before I go hanging over the edge!

Thorne, good luck with your teaching in Met. You are probably quite used to small town teaching if you've been working for SE Island SD. If you happen to be highly qualified in math, my position at Revilla Alternative HS will be open after next year. Keep it in mind.

Jackie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: