The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Apostle Islands of Lake Superior, week of June 27, 2016
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Apostle Islands of Lake Superior, week of June 27, 2016 Reply with quote

Nothing formal or official here, but my wife and I plan on bringing Midnight Flyer up to the Apostle Islands the week of June 27th. If anyone else will be in the area or would like to join us or meet up during the week, feel free to hail us on the radio or via DSC, MMSI 338131849, or chime in here. For now, I plan to launch at Little Sand Bay county campground north of Bayfield. Plans are to just cruise around the islands and maybe tour some of the islands and/or lighthouses. I remember there are some areas one can anchor over night or tie up on some of the island docks. (For a fee). I understand the water levels were up last year, although I'm not sure where they are at this year. Colby
hank clow

City/Region: L'Anse
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Meri Aura
Photos: Meri Aura
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Apostle Islands Cruise Reply with quote

Meri Aura has this one on the calendar and will probably launch at the city dock in Ashland, WI. No ice on Lake Superior right now unlike last year's bergs in June.

Hank Clow
oldguy83

City/Region: minnesota
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lake Superior is two inches above average about the same as last year. Bring warm clothes, june is early and you never know.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The county park I spoke of, I remember having plenty of parking, a small marina (docking) an ok boat launch, and is on the north side of the peninsula from Bayfield. Here is a link to it's website:
http://townofrussell.org/camping-boating-rentals/little-sand-bay-rec-area

Hank, can you tell me more about the Ashland city launch? I've never launched there before, but I go past that area on the way to Bayfield and then the Little Sand Bay campground. I will say Bayfield and the Little Sand Bay campground are a little closer to the majority of the Apostle Islands. The Bayfield municipal launch doesn't have a lot of long term parking. (Or at least didn't a few years ago when we last launched there.)

June is a bit early, but hopefully we'll have nice weather. We have a family function near EauClaire the weekend before and after this week, and I've been wanting to get back up to the Apostles for a few years now, so we just decided this would be the best time for us. Colby
chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove to Bayfield several years ago. It looks spectacular up there. Enjoy

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Apostle Islands of Lake Superior, week of June 27, 2016 Reply with quote

There was a ramp right in Bayfield near a fish market. Staring down the hill at Bayfield it was on the right side of town and we stayed at the marina near there right in town which has fuel and they let us store the trailer there. We had a slip with truck parking right behind it. You could walk anywhere in town with no problem. Watch speed in town the local police hide behind the trees and like to check for over width trailers. Go to Maggie's for the whitefish livers and other great but more common fare.
D.D.

slowtrot

City/Region: dawsonville
State or Province: GA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Dabbler
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: apostle Islands Reply with quote

We did the islands a couple of years ago in our CD19. We stayed in the RV park at the RED CLIFF marina. Rented a dock space at the Red Cliff Marina and left the boat in the water and came back and stayed at night in the RV. The weather for us was fantastic. Lake was calm. Speed limit ride out to all the islands and light houses. We went around every island and landed on many of them. We hiked several of the Islands. Take your bug spray. When no wind the mosquitoes will carry you off.

We visited Washburn and Ashland as well as Bayfield. It was a fantastic 10 days. Some of the best boating we have done.
Tully-B

City/Region: Hopkins
Vessel Name: Tully-B
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Apostle Islands od Lake Superior, June 27, 2016 Reply with quote

Having just cruised with Hank and Pat along with Colby in Florida last month, we wouldn't miss this chance to do it again. I volunteer to cook the white fish. Lee and Jan on the Tully-B
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose that means you think I can catch the white fish? Remember how well that fishing worked out for me earlier in March! lol
Tully-B

City/Region: Hopkins
Vessel Name: Tully-B
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Apostle Islands od Lake Superior, June 27, 2016 Reply with quote

Not to worry Coby, first of all we will give you fishing lessons and when we finish with them, you can put up your fishing poll and you and I can go up to the fish market and buy however many we need to feed our crew. Lee
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me Lee. lol
Real Time

City/Region: Hermantown
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Reel Time
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I purchased a 22 foot C-dory cruiser last fall. Real Time is kept in Cornucopia which is located at the west end of the island chain. We started cruising to the islands from Duluth, in the early 80s.
Keep in mind that late July thru early August are the busiest and it could be difficult to get dock space on the islands. There are a lot of anchorages if you can't get to a dock.
All of the public launch ramps from Washburn to Cornucopia are great. The one in downtown Bayfield gets the most use and you are allowed to park your trailer on the street if the lot is full.
Don't forget to view the sea caves on some of the islands and on spirit point west of Sand Bay. Many restaurants have whitefish on their menu. Be sure to try it.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Real Time. Hope we get a chance to meet you while we are up there. We are actually looking at the last week of June, (not July). I have launched at both Bayfield and the little County Park, I believe called Sandbay. I entered the link to it in an earlier posting. I like that County Park as it's a fairly protected cove, has plenty of rig parking, and also has a little marina. So more than likely I will park and launch from there the end of next month. Nothing formal about this little "gathering". I'm just going to be in the area that week, and thought it would be nice if any other Brats are around to do some cruising together, or just socializing. In fact, nothing specific is planned, other than showing up, then seeing where folks would like to meet. I've been up to the area twice before with an earlier boat, a Searay 268 Sundancer. This will be my first trip in the Apostles with my C-Dory. Those earlier times I mostly just tied up to a dock or marina at night. But I'd entertain any good anchorage suggestions. I've also enjoyed cruising around the sea caves of Devils Island, and touring the Lighthouse on what I believe was Raspberry Island. (They were in the process of fixing it up last time we were there.) So far, it just looks like three of us have indicated a definite plan of being in the area. (Lee & Jan on the Tully B, Pat and Hank on Mari Aura, and my wife and I on the Midnight Flyer.) As it gets closer, if anyone has anywhere specific they want to meet, speak up. Smile Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I bring this back up to the top. I'm still planning on launching out of Little Sand Bay county park either late on Sunday, June 26th, or midday on Monday June 27th. So far, I believe only my boat, Tully B and Mary Aura are getting together. Any one else interested, just look us up. Nothing formal about this one. Just thought it would be fun to cruise around the islands with a few other boats. I remember from several past visits, the islands have some interesting history, and scenery. I believe it was Raspberry Island that has a neat lighthouse that may still be open for tours. And of course the sea caves at Devils Island. FWIW, I also just plan on using local marina's, State Docks and the little marina at Little Sand Bay. (The only state dock I remember being good for overnight stays is the one at Stockton Island.) I'm just not familiar enough with the Apostles for anchoring out, and from what I gather, while there are some decent anchorages depending upon the winds and weather, nothing is real protected if some bad weather came up. Colby
Real Time

City/Region: Hermantown
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Reel Time
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Apostle Islands Reply with quote

My wife and I hope to leave on Monday from Cornucopia and meet you at Little Sand Bay Marina, weather permitting. This will be our first extended cruise since purchasing Reel Time and think it is best for us to stay at the marina for a night or two. We have to be home Wednesday afternoon.
It is a short cruise to Rraspberry Island and other islands in the area that have interesting sea caves.
If anyone is interested, I do vessel safety checks for the U S Power Squadron.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: