The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

ICW Jacsonville North

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skip Hood

City/Region: Tallahassee
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Fishwife
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: ICW Jacsonville North Reply with quote

Hi Folks -

Patty and I are planning a short cruise on the ICW from Jacksonville north. Say, 4 days total, up and back. These are new waters to us, so the voice of experience from fellow C-Brats would be most appreciated.

For example: How much should we plan for no wake zones and traffic to reduce our normal 21 knot cruise speed? Recommended fuel stops? Favorite waterside restaurants? And especially, a suggested destination with a nice marina and things to see as the turnaround point for the trip back to our launch point. Savannah would be lovely, but I suspect making it there in 2 days wouldn't leave time for much else.

Many thanks,
Skip

jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: ICW Reply with quote

Hi!Skip Hope all is well . I think Savannah is doable at 21 knot cruise that might be a little optimistic cruise speed .I guess depending on the time of week midweek or weekend ?
We missed the wefing gathering last Oct. but plan on being there this year . I made the St John's gathering what a blast You guys should make it next year for sure . Good Luck with your trip Jim

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am far from an expert in this area; only done it in large boats a few years ago. But a number of my friends enjoy the St. Mary's area, and enjoy some slow cruising.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Skip Hood

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, Bob -

Thanks for responding.

Jim, agree that Jacksonville to Savannah and back is doable in 4 days, but would like to save that trip for when could spend more time when we got there. So still looking for a good destination with a marina on the ICW somewhere around half way up Georgia.

We too missed the last Appalachicola gathering but plan to make it this year, assuming there is one. Hard to believe Marc hasn't burned out by now. I'm sure the Hontoon Island one was also great. Hadn't known about it because I'm bad about checking the C-Brat site until there's some advice I need. This post being a case in point. But by sheer coincidence we got sort of a mini preview when we went to Hontoon on our own about a month before and happened on 3 other Dories, including the organizers Tom and Joyce. All lovely folks. Though Tom was just as glad we weren't planning to come back for the real gathering and stretch that pretty little marina even further Very Happy

Cheers,
Skip
jimicliff

City/Region: Mount Dora
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Ocklawaha Queen
Photos: Ocklawaha Queen
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have done the Savannah trip and 21mph will get you there and back. Darien Ga is your half way point, nice resturant and I think no fee on the dock. Beautiful country with out much traffic. Its very empty for aminities so dont expect anything but nature.
Rcbeach

City/Region: Ocean Pines
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: R-25 Tug
Vessel Name: DreamChaser
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not been thru there in a couple years but I would suggest stopping at Fernandina Beach (Fernandina Harbor Marina), Jekyll Island (Jekyll Harbor Marina) and St. Simons Island area (we stayed at Morningstar Marinas at Golden Isles which is one of several marinas in the area). This would make an easy 4 day trip from Jacksonville area. The marinas have very good facilities and restaurants are within walking distance. You can stay on the ICW the whole way and back or you might divert around St. Andrews Sound one way and take the Umbrella Cut for a change of scenery. We have enjoyed boating along the Georgia ICW with its limited development. Have a great trip!
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any useful information to add, but you guys are getting me excited. We're moving to the Savannah area in a couple weeks from the PNW and can't wait to start cruising the Georgia coast.
slowtrot

City/Region: dawsonville
State or Province: GA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Dabbler
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: South Georgia Coast Reply with quote

Suggest you stop in St Mary's and visit the submarine museum. Eat at the Greek restaurant on main street and then walk to the Presbyterian Church and go though it. Walk Main Street and enjoy the nice small town park.

Dock at Cumberland Island and walk across the island to the beach and look for the horses. If you have the legs for it walk down to the dungeness ruins and look around. The live oaks alone are worth the visit. Stop and dock at Plum Orchard and walk through the Carnegie house there. That was when there was real money.

Motor up to the Jekyll Harbor Marina and gas if you need it. Good place to dock for the night with restaurant right there. Tour Island and go through the hotel and the old cottages of the rich, visit the turtle place. Dock at Clear Creek and walk the nature trail and the beach and look across the sound to St Simons light house.

Stop at St Simons and spend a week there in the galleries but there are too many people there to suit me.

Be sure to make it to Darian and dock for the night at their city dock and walk up stream a few hundred yards to a great seafood place. Get someone to take you out to the old fort and tour the grave yard.

This is a great place for a shallow draft C dory plenty of wildlife, deer horses hogs, birds of all kinds.
Skip Hood

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all for your most valuable info, here and in a couple PMs. We're getting pretty excited about seeing some new stuff. And longer trips in the future.

One more question. Some very experienced C-Dory 22 cruisers who recently spent time on the Georgia ICW have warned me about the extreme tides. Strongest currents they've seen, and they've cruised all over the east. Broke them loose several times from seemingly solid, sheltered anchorages. This has got to be more of a problem in some places than others. Any suggestions on safe overnight anchorages and/or ones to avoid?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The anchors are tripped by reversing of the current, in areas which are an inlet to a large body of water. As the tide goes up and down, the current reverses 180 degrees.

The "solution" is to place two anchors, with the second at 180 degrees to the first. You set the first anchor, lay out twice the scope you will need (about 14: 1), and then set the second anchor, at the end of this extended scope, with the pull toward the first anchor. Let out scope on this second anchor, so that your boat is in the middle of the two anchors--and each will have 7:1 scope.

This is called a Bahama Moor. When the current reverses 180 degrees, you will then ride to the second anchor. Most common issue is with "Danforth" type of anchors--many of the newer, such as Ronca, Boss, Manson Supreme, will self set with the reverse current.

This diagram is from a web site "The Frugal Mariner":

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: