The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

2016 repower 115 merc
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: 2016 repower 115 merc Reply with quote

We have a 23 CC (venture hull ) with a Yamaha F115 we had a lower unit leaking seal which we fixed. Then I saw a new 115 merc with the CT (command thrust) lower unit from merc 150 hp . So hoping for a repower to the new merc 2.1 litre with a much bigger prop . The 05 yami was a Great engine but hoping this merc will be better off the line for water sports . I will let you know how it runs .BTW it was over $ 1000 less then Yami ,Suzuki and $3000 less then the e-tec . So the merc won out for price and for bigger gearcase and prop . top end with Yami was 32mph @5600rpm and 22mph @ 4500rpm Good Cruise for a Venture CC hull. I was getting 4-5 mpg with Yami F115 Hoping to get better with new merc .
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
jennykatz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: merc 115 Reply with quote

So are any brats out there running the new merc 2.1 litre family of engines ? The 75/90/115 hp
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested to hear the replies as well. I'm curious about the 75/90.

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
DrewbirdII

City/Region: fanny bay
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Drewbird II
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:34 am    Post subject: Jennykatz Reply with quote

I've been running the 90Hp command thrust for a little over a year now on my 22 cruiser and very happy with it. I could not believe the difference in performance. With the larger diameter prop (15x17), extra weight on the transom is no longer an issue. If you run the boat too light, you need to take it easy throttling it up or turning sharp because of the lift it generates making the boat slide. Adding weight, such as all your cruising gear then its a dream. Full load with down riggers cannon balls, dingy, 150 litres of ice and gear for a week, it cruises nicely at 18 mph @3800 rpm and will top out at 30 mph 5400 rpm.
jennykatz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: merc 115 Reply with quote

That's what I hear about these new motors . A couple of my friends have been trying to change my mind back to the Yamaha but I really want the bigger prop Command Thrust on the new merc. On the first few Cape Cruisers their placard shows only 120hp the newer ones and Ventures have a 150hp placard .I ordered it March 31st so I got the rebate $750 plus the platinum protection plan 5 years . As soon as my Yamaha is sold I'll go to the dealer and have him put it on .
18 mph at 3800 is great and 30 at 5400 rpm So the 115 hp on the CC23 should produce same numbers?
jennykatz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: merc 115 Reply with quote

Drewbird what kind of prop do you run S/S or alum 3 or 4 blade ? I like the fact that you can go with a 15 in diam. If you bring the pitch down to 15 or 16 in you will bring your rpm up to 5600-5800
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent some time chatting with a combined Yamaha/Mercury dealer head mechanic and parts fellow (was buying some Yamaha parts), and idly mentioned maybe re-powering. I've had the Yamaha 115 B in mind as a strong possibility. Without really asking me what my goals/cruising style was, he raved about the Merc 115. I was in go-fast-boat country (everything from cigarette type boats to "fast" pontoons) and his first comment was how they could put on the same horsepower engine (plus the big prop) and make any pontoon go so much faster (that's very popular here).

Going faster and/or hole shot are pretty unimportant to me (although I realize that's partially what jennykatz is after for watersports), but the dealer fellow didn't know that. Anyway, he was certainly enthusiastic, and just because his boat focus isn't mine, doesn't mean that maybe I shouldn't consider a Merc. Growing up we had a small one and it was somewhat unpleasant -- always the motor the "loser" got in a race to our two little skiffs (Evinrude 6 vs. Merc 4 - big times! Mr. Green ) So I had just never considered one. But that was then...

So.... a question for you, Drew:

Sounds like the 90 is more than ample for a 22. What I'd like to know is how does it do in the "very slow planing" range. Say 10-12 knots. That's of more interest to me. What engine did you have before and can you say how it compares in this range?

Also, I know this is subjective, but how would you rate the engine noise level compared to your previous one?

I know these things aren't exactly what jennykatz is after, but maybe they will help round out the picture for him - and maybe others like me who had never previously considered Merc.

Thanks,
Sunbeam

PS: Drew, I just noticed that your profile says "1989 22 Classic." So just to check, is it a classic (made up through 1986) with the flat hull and single motorwell aft? Or is it a Cruiser or Angler made from 1987 on with the slightly V-eed hull and wider splashwell same as the current 22's. (or maybe a custom?) If the pre-87 classic then the hull would be fairly different from my 2002 Cruiser is why I ask.
Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Drewbird's boat last year at Friday Harbor and I'm 99% sure it's a 22 cruiser not classic, however I'll let him answer himself. I just wanted to comment on the amazing customizations he did on his boat. The woodworking in the cockpit and cabin are incredible displays of a master craftsman at work. I sure wish he'd post pictures for all to see.

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Jazzmanic!

Jazzmanic wrote:
I just wanted to comment on the amazing customizations he did on his boat. The woodworking in the cockpit and cabin are incredible displays of a master craftsman at work. I sure wish he'd post pictures for all to see.

And now so do I! Nothing like highly crafted modifications to inspire one Very Happy
DrewbirdII

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Jennykats Reply with quote

Yes, I run a 3 blade 15x17 aluminum Black Max prop. If I load the boat for a day trip fishing with 1/2 fuel and some water with couple of friends, the motor hits 5800 rpm @ 33 mph. Loaded up with 55gal of fuel and 20gal of water, wife, dog and what have you for an extended trip then 5400 rpm at 29 mph. With the full load it planes easily at 10 mph but the best fuel burn starts about 14 to about 22 mph. One thing you will notice is how quiet it is, with the cabin door open you will be smiling.
Jim.
DrewbirdII

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Sunbeam Reply with quote

Yes my boat is a 1998 cruiser, I guess I will need to change my profile. Not the best at these computers.
Jim.
jennykatz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: merc 115 Reply with quote

Yes I want a good hole shot but also usually cruise at 22 mph 20 knots at about 4500-4600 rpm I have a friend with the merc150 which is the same architecture as this new 2.1 engine with same prop gearcase .BTW he has over 2500 hours on a 3 year motor no problems so far. The yamaha has been a Great engine only problems have been lower unit seals twice (ouch) and regular oil changes and zincs .Jim

Do you have the flo torq black max prop with the plastic breakaway part ?
DrewbirdII

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Jennykats Reply with quote

It has the replaceable hub. I travel in areas like Alberni inlet with a lot of junk in the water so it just makes economic sense to use aluminum.
Jim.
jennykatz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: merc 115 Reply with quote

The boat is going in today still wondering about what prop to use with the Yamaha F115 I used a 13 3/4 by 15 pitch this was a 1.7 Litre engine The new merc is 2.1 Litre so it should have more torque for sure . I might try a 15 by 16 pitch ?? Stay tuned for prop talks .Jim
DrewbirdII

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Jennykatz Reply with quote

I don't believe its only the torque but more on gearing. The motor can spin a larger prop by creating more rpm like driving around without an overdrive. This enables the boat to handle a much heavier load. The C-Dory loves this because its not designed to run fast and most of us like to overload it.
Jim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: