The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Permatrim
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rock-C

City/Region: Salem
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Rock-C
Photos: Rock-C
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Permatrim Reply with quote

Looking for info on installing Permatrim on a Honda 90. I have some questions, please send me a PM if you have one on your Honda. Thanks.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also considering one of these on my Honda 90. I wish there was a way to try one out without drilling a lot of holes in the lower leg.

I expect that it will reduce the need/amount of trim using the tabs, but it might also make the engine trim pretty sensitive.

OTOH, I saw a demo set up of these at the PBIBS. They were on a demo stand, but they did look interesting. Installation seems a lot less involved than conventional tabs.

http://www.zipwake.com/

Last edited by ssobol on Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have installed 2 on 2005 Honda 90s while in the water and am currently using a 3rd on our 2003 Honda 75. What would you like to know?

PM also sent,

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After getting several recommendations from other c-brats while at the St. John's gathering, I decided to put a permatrim on my Mercury 115. While purchasing, I found out the USA dealer is Wisconsin's very own Shipyard marina up in Door County on Washington Island. (I've stayed there several times.) Good family business. I just installed mine two days ago, but have not taken the boat out yet. It was a fairly simple/straight forward installation, but did require drilling 10 holes in the cavitation plate of my outboard and in the permatrim. Colby
Grazer

City/Region: Yukon
State or Province: YT
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: C-Horse
Photos: Grazer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed one 2 seasons ago and like others have said it was pretty straight forward. I permanently sealed the entire permatrim to the cavitation plate with 3M 5200 as I was convinced, after reading here, that the performance would be greatly improved. After only the first trip out, I was pleasantly impressed. The permatrim greatly enhanced the motors ability to stay on step while at slower speed as well as to lowering the bow when needed. What other questions do you have?
Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an abundance of info on the site about this already, and please feel free to discuss your questions on this thread instead of in a PM. Everyone is interested and it's kind of the point of all of this.

The jury is in on permatrim, and it's widely accepted as a great upgrade for anyone. It will very simply increase your boat's responsiveness to it's tilt/trim allowing you greater control of your ride.

CDories are very very very very very sensitive to trim, and your boat's ride will be impacted greatly if you are able to trim the bow down when heading into chop, or trim the bow waaay up when riding in swells or a following sea. Trim tabs are a must, but they can be used for balancing an unevenly loaded boat even more if you have a permatrim doing the heavy lifting on the bow adjustments.

One thing to be conscious of if you are operating both, is to avoid getting the ride just right by having the permatrim and the trim tabs fighting each other. It can sap your efficiency. This can be helpful in some, but very few, situations, but overall can leave you with less ability to control your boat in addition to added fuel cost and reduced range.

So, don't be nervous about those little holes. If you want more bow up/down control, drill those holes and install that permatrim!!
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 18 years listening to all manner of discussion of hydrofoils and specifically Permatrims, I can't remember any real negative feedback on their performance or advisability.*

They do subtract a mile or two from the WOT speed performance, but make up for it in quicker hole shot, much better trim control, smoother running through chop, better gas mileage, less ventilation on tight turns, and more that I can't remember right now.

Yes, it causes one to wince a bit when thinking of drilling those holes.

I like the idea of using 5200 to seal up the space between the plates, but the real drag probably comes with the bolt heads and nuts, which I wouldn't remove any of without talking to Andy Munao at Shipyard Island Marine, the sole US Permatrim dealer.

What's not to like?

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

*"40 Million Frenchmen Can't Be Wrong." Laughing

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help folks, They were looking for some measurements.

I will post them here in case anyone ever needs them again. Take a good look at a photo to interpret the dimensions below.

I measured our model which is on a 2003 honda 75 which would be the same at the carbed 90hp model as well.

-1/4 inch thick aluminum is the material used
-Total length 21.5 in
-Total width 12.5 in
-Folded depth of sides 2 in (so the pre-bent width would be 16.5)
-length of folds are 12 inches starting at rear and taper at the front 4 inches
-Length of mounting slot 14.25 inches
-Width of mounting slot is 2.5 in until the last 3 inches where is starts to taper down to 1.5 in
-The leading front "points" are tapered down from the 12in (from back) mark to 2 inches and rounded.

Ours are mounted with (4) 1/4 inch thick bolts on each side with nuts on the top and some sealant between the plate and outboard

Greg
Rock-C

City/Region: Salem
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: Rock-C
Photos: Rock-C
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, thanks again for your quick reply. The information is just what I was looking for. As i said in a PM, my son works at a fab shop & I'm going to have one made locally. I have had Dolphins on the motor but was never satisfied with the performance. BTW, I have a free set of Dolphins if anyone is interested. I can bring them to Friday Hbr.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Terry, Good to see you here, and glad you are headed to Friday Harbor. See you there.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Embarrased Embarassed

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock-C wrote:
Greg, thanks again for your quick reply. The information is just what I was looking for. As i said in a PM, my son works at a fab shop & I'm going to have one made locally. I have had Dolphins on the motor but was never satisfied with the performance. BTW, I have a free set of Dolphins if anyone is interested. I can bring them to Friday Hbr.

What alloy of aluminum is your son using?

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Ferg

City/Region: Oak Island
State or Province: NC
Vessel Name: Here & Now
Photos: Here & Now
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked my East Coast C-Dory dealer (Gene/Mobile East Marine) about Permatrim, and he didn't like it on these boats. I've forgotten his reason, but I take his word as gospel.

Ferg
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock-C - my brother & I have built three permatrim type of foils using 1/8“ aluminum. Never had a problem with any. One was for a 50hp Honda on my 16 cruiser one for a 90hp Honda for a friend & the third for a 90hp Evinrude on the original Marinaut. I can use it as a step without it bending. A template & photo for my 16/18 cruiser is HERE.

1/8“ material will cause much less drag & is more than strong enough. I did not notice a loss of speed with my 16/18 & the Marinaut was so slight it was hardly noticeable. Maybe 1/2mph but then again conditions could have been the reason for the change.

Dave
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferg wrote:
I asked my East Coast C-Dory dealer (Gene/Mobile East Marine) about Permatrim, and he didn't like it on these boats. I've forgotten his reason, but I take his word as gospel.

Ferg

I would ask your dealer, how much time he has spent cruising these boats and in what type of conditions. It is the general consensus of hundreds of owners that it makes a significant difference in the handling. I have tried the 22 without any foil, with trim tabs alone and tabs plus foil. The latter is best. The 25 had trim tabs when I purchased it, and I used the boat for a season without a Permatrim, and then added it. Definite improvement in handling.

If the foil is properly installed and trimmed, it should make little if any difference in the top speed or MPG (might even increased the MPG). The foil should run just on top of the water at planning speed.

There are other foils which a few have used, including "Bob's Machine ship".
Ferg

City/Region: Oak Island
State or Province: NC
Vessel Name: Here & Now
Photos: Here & Now
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate the replies to my comment, I'm not taking a position, I'm just giving his....but he's a well respected guy.

But I do wonder that if they do improve performance, why haven't the manufacturers incorporated that into their designs.

Honest, I don't have a dog in this fight, I'm just kinda confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: