The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Marinaut 215 insurance
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoseDoctor

City/Region: Olympia/Pacific Northwest
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: Marinaut 215
Vessel Name: SEEKER
Photos: SEEKER
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Marinaut 215 insurance Reply with quote

I Just purchased a Marinaut 215 and am seeking insurance coverage.
I live in the Stae of Washington.
Any suggestions or recommendations from your Marinaut owners?
Gary
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progressive is the most commonly used but there are other options as well. We use progressive through USAA.

Here is a thread about the topic. There are others if you use the search option from the home page.

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=18666

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
RoseDoctor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Marinaut insurance Reply with quote

Greg,
Thanks you for your response.
I applied to Progressive through USAA also.
A month after I bought my policy they informed me by mail that they could not cover my comprehensive and collision (physical damage or theft) because my boat had a Washington hull ID number. But they could cover me for liability. I called them about it and and the rep said their underwriters were "not comfortable" with a Washington HID.
Have you, or anyone, ever heard of that?
Do you know what it means?
Gary
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a CD22 covered under Progressive. I live in VA. There never was any discussion about a "WA HID" number. It was pretty painless to get insurance. Same thing with my two previous boats also covered by Progressive (and one of those was from France). The hull number is a requirement of the US Government not WA state.

Maybe they are referring to the WA state registration number. I would ask them what makes them uncomfortable about it. A registration number can be from any state regardless of the HID.

I got my insurance through the Progressive website. You might try there, although you may already have a black mark by your name.

Maybe the problem is that there a very few Marinauts out there and they can't judge the risk so they are bailing on you.

Insurance companies can play be some lousy rules. In the past there have been people whose auto insurance was cancelled out of the blue. They call and say "I been a customer for many,many years and never had an accident, so why are you cancelling my coverage?" The answer from the insurance company is "You haven't had an accident for a long time, so you're probably due for one and that makes you too high of a risk."
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Right, There are only a few Marinaut in Washington state, or anywhere for that matter. There have not been that many built at all.

It might be that the issue is that they (insurance co or you) supplied the WA registration number in place of the HID (Hull Identification Number). The WA reg number is applied by the owner, with a colored 3" x 3" sticker, placed on the bow, forward quarter, forward of midship, placed on each side of the vessel. There is a new sticker added each year, supplied with the new registration papers. The HID# is stamped into the hull, either on a plaque or stamped into the vessels hull material. It is found on the transom starboard side and one other place on the vessel. The HID will give info on manufacture date, size and Mfg's ID code.

Seems like there is some confusion as to what numbers are for what. I would go back to the insurance company and as for a manager or supervisor to get it cleared up.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

MikeR

City/Region: Mill Creek
C-Dory Year: 2016
Photos: MikeR
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progressive sounds like a good option. You might also try Amica, that's who our insurance is through, they seem to underwrite anything, mainly because they have little experience with boats and are more familiar with cars and houses. But they are pretty good to work with customer service wise and with claims.

Regarding the WA HID number, I think that's used when boats don't have a manufacturer-stamped HIN, for example, with home-built or kit boats. I once had a restored 1956 Bell Boy, and back in '56 there were no HINs stamped into the fiberglass, so at some point along the way a small green WA State HIN sticker was added to the transom, where the manufacturer stamp usually goes on newer boats, to assign it a number that ties to the title. Perhaps Marinaut, because it is so small/new, uses these same kind of WA HIN numbers as with home-built boats and for some reason the underwriters did not like that?

BTW, I loved re-reading these old threads on the Marinaut, what a great looking boat. Congrats on your purchase!

-Mike
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree with a couple others above, in that (if you are still considering Progressive), I'd call back and square away what numbers they are talking about. A "HIN" is the official hull ID number; like a VIN on a car. The boat was built in Washington, but that doesn't really have anything to do with anything. It's a US built boat, so which state it was built in should be meaningless (and thousands of boats are built in Washington). Your HIN should be on the starboard upper/outer transom.

Then your state registration number will simply be the state of principal use (which may or may not be your state of residency). There it's possible for insurance companies to not want to insure a specific location within a state (for example, I had a "keep the boat at" address once that was in a hurricane area, and they had an issue with just that small area). But a state in general - especially one as popular for boating as Washington? Somewhat hard to imagine.

Even the phrasing seems a bit off. "Not comfortable with"? What is this, a feelings session? Or are they going to sell you insurance. Geez.

Anyway, given that many people are happy with their Progressive boat insurance (including numerous C-Dorys that were built, registered in, and used in Washington), you may want to try again and make sure you're all on the same page, numbers-wise.

Sunbeam

PS: The HIN follows a specific convention. The first three characters will be letters, which will be the ID that Marinaut boats uses (for example, a C-Dory might be CDO, or DOR, or etc. depending on the builder at that time). The next two digits will be a model identifier (say, 22 in my case). The following three will be a hull number, like say 008 if you have the eight Marinaut 21 built, and then the last four are a set that indicate the month and year the hull was laid (first two of the four with the month being a letter) and the model year of the boat (last two of the four). So if your hull was laid in October of 2014 and your boat is a 2015 model year, the last four digits of your HIN would be J415, or October (letter J in sequence with January being A), 2014, 2015 model year.
RoseDoctor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Marinaut insurance Reply with quote

You C-Brat folks are absolutely fantastic!
Thank you so much for your prompt and useful responses.
I will check out your suggestions tomorrow.

I must admit to a typo in my earlier post. I said HID, when I meant HIN.
I hope that didn't cause too much confusion.

My boat certainly isn't a kit boat or home built boat. I gave the progressive
people the Marinaut Boat website, which shows their boats under construction. But to no avail. Seems strange.

I do have a WA registration, which is posted on the bow on both sides. I'll go down to the marina tomorrow and see if can can find the hull number. My Bill of Sale lists the Hull Number as WNZ3005FC010. That is the number I gave to Progressive that they didn't like.

I've also put in a call to E.Q. Harbor, where the boat was built, to see if they know what is going on.

I'll keep you all posted on what I learn.
Again, Thank you so much!!!
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Marinaut insurance Reply with quote

RoseDoctor wrote:
My Bill of Sale lists the Hull Number as WNZ3005FC010. That is the number I gave to Progressive that they didn't like.

Out of curiosity, I looked up that number on a site where you can search the various manufacturer's IDs (called the MIC, and is the first three letters of a HIN). If WNZ is the the first three digits, then I can see where there might be a "displeasure" on their part. Reason I say that is that "WNZ" comes up as a catch-all identification for "Washington Home Made boats." Here is a screen shot:

I looked it up here:

http://www.uscgboating.org/content/manufacturers-identification.php

Not that there is anything wrong with home made boats, but you know how it is, they are not as "known" to insurance companies, etc.

As someone asked you in the other Marinaut thread, did you by any chance buy the original Marinaut 21 that EQ was using as a demo boat? If so, I think that one may have been made by (Dave? maybe user name OldGrowth here?) who first got the Marinaut going. I don't really know though, so don't take this as gospel.

If so, I had the good fortune of spending three weeks on Powell in that boat, and it's a beaut. I called it the Magic Carpet because it went through the water so nicely Very Happy
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbeam is right, the original was built by "OldGrowth Dave" and one of the
Tolands, (Ben I believe), before the boat went into production. There is considerable info in a long thread that was going as that boat began.

Here is a picture of Dave, on a demo run in Sequim Bay.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already posted this to the "insurance" thread that was mentioned above, but with several here speaking of USAA, I will post this here also.
USAA screwed me over (along with an engineering firm involved in my case) and because of that I found American Family, headquartered nearby in Madison, WI, was a better bargain. (Long story about USAA, but short of it was they refused to pay out on a ceiling collapse, and then went on to refuse payment to an engineering firm they hired to investigate the incident. Initially USAA was more interested in getting square footage measurements of the house rather than damage information. They hired a third party examiner that came out and basically did nothing, but then they accused the engineer of doing nothing, when he is the on that did the investigation and provided them with a report. Most of USAA's work is with third parties. I will never have anything to do with USAA again, and suggest anyone else forget about using them, or at the very least compare rates with other insurers. FWIW, my issue with them happened a year or so after they had to make some huge hurricane payouts and with a change of CEO's, so perhaps they were just denying claims to save themselves money...)
While I currently am happy with American Family, I did have Progressive for a while on a previous Motorhome. While I was happy with their Customer Service, I don't remember making any claims with them, so can't speak to that. Colby
Colby
RoseDoctor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Marinaut 215 insurance Reply with quote

You are absolutely right - we did buy the first Marinaut 215 built by (I believe) Dave Toland. Since then they have built several more according to their Facebook Page. All are wonderful boats.
We had the pleasure of riding on Michael Donath's M 215 last year when he had it on Bud Bay here in Olympia. We were so impressed with it that we then made the decision to approach EQ to purchase their demonstrator (the boat shown in the photo above). We made quite a few additions to it including nav. system, motor upgrade (Suzuki 115 4-stroke), roof top racks, canvas, power windlass, autopilot etc, etc.

So it now appears, from the information you all have kindly provided, that I need to find an insurance company that will insure a boat that was a first of its kind and go from there.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions on companies I might try?
BoatUS? or the two listed in the posts above?

Gary

Another question: I would like to put the Marinaut 215 in my profile, but the profile list contains only C-Dorys. Is there a way to contact the webmaster to have the Marinaut listed?
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the same company that insures my house. By combining all my cars,boats, homes under one policy I was able to save a lot of money. I use american family and they will insure anything.
Sunbeam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well congrats! Gift What a great boat -- and with the new Suzuki, even better.

Welcome aboard the forum Very Happy

Presuming no-one here minds a few pictures of a cool boat, here are a few of your Seeker on Powell a few years ago. Maybe you will head that way with her sometime?

(I lowered the resolution for uploading here.)

Jazzmanic

City/Region: Seattle
Photos: C-Dancer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Marinaut insurance Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
RoseDoctor wrote:
My Bill of Sale lists the Hull Number as WNZ3005FC010. That is the number I gave to Progressive that they didn't like.

Out of curiosity, I looked up that number on a site where you can search the various manufacturer's IDs (called the MIC, and is the first three letters of a HIN). If WNZ is the the first three digits, then I can see where there might be a "displeasure" on their part. Reason I say that is that "WNZ" comes up as a catch-all identification for "Washington Home Made boats." Here is a screen shot:

I looked it up here:

http://www.uscgboating.org/content/manufacturers-identification.php

Not that there is anything wrong with home made boats, but you know how it is, they are not as "known" to insurance companies, etc.

As someone asked you in the other Marinaut thread, did you by any chance buy the original Marinaut 21 that EQ was using as a demo boat? If so, I think that one may have been made by (Dave? maybe user name OldGrowth here?) who first got the Marinaut going. I don't really know though, so don't take this as gospel.

If so, I had the good fortune of spending three weeks on Powell in that boat, and it's a beaut. I called it the Magic Carpet because it went through the water so nicely Very Happy

Good detective work Sunbeam!

Email: pjamero@gmail.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All Marinauts, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: