The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Battery charger comparison
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob said,
Quote:
"Also be cautious about " parasitic draw" from memories in electronics--such as the station memory in a stereo. Some are wired around the battery cut off switch."

One of the last wiring projects I had done was to put in an external power switch on the stereo for that exact reason -- mini LED light and always on power for memory and clock. Didn't need any of that.

The only things wired directly to my batteries are the Wallas and 1 Cig lighter plug to run my rear view camera on when towing.

Even the power switch to the Fell Marine MOB+ device has an external power switch.

No more parasitic draw.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boat is wired so that there no loads except one of the bilge pumps and the battery monitor itself that is connected directly to the battery.

A lot of modern radios use flash memory for the presets and settings and don't require a continuous power source for the memory anymore. The radio on my boat doesn't need memory power. The radio in my car only needs power to keep the clock going. The station memory and settings do not.

IME, after using the FF meter and the battery monitor a few times, you know what the fuel burn is for various conditions and what the electrical loading is. For instance, I now know that the overnight battery depletion by my fridge is 12-15% and that it takes about 25 minutes to recharge that amount at ~1K idle RPM (boat is much quieter at this RPM than true idle because of resonance). I don't need to look at the battery monitor anymore to know what the state of the battery is in the morning when I get up or how to get the battery back up to charge.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty much like SSOBOL. The only things hot wired to my batteries, are the Victron monitor (of which I'll pull the fuses out of the positive wires during winter storage), both bilge pumps and the battery charger. Everything else comes through the main battery switch. There is no parasitic draw from the bilge pumps. I also have a wiring harness connected straight to my starter battery that is for my small air compressor. But nothing on the end of that harness unless I plug my air compressor into it. Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: