View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Thisaway-Thataway on the St.John's and Econlockhatchee River Reply with quote

Not an "Epic"--but thanks to C Brats--and encourage others to do these trips!

Although we live only 400 miles from the St. Johns River, and had explored some of its shores by car and RV, we had never boated on this South to North Flowing River. The Hontoon Island C Brat gathering was a perfect excuse for us to begin to explore this River system. After driving about 350 miles the first day, we stopped at Lake City, an RV park we have been to many times for “Boater-home camping”. The gal at the desk said “where is your RV”. “Right there on that boat trailer! Want to take a look? Was our response; The next day was only about 75 miles on the road and we were launched by noon. We found 6 boats already at Hontoon Island by that afternoon, and were helped to the dock, stern in on “A” dock.

The next few days were making new friends and re-acquainting with old ones. There about 50/50 out of the 39 boats which were eventually there. We were lucky to have Molly Brown (James and Betty) next to us at the dock, on one side, and Alma’s Only on the other side of the finger. The mooring fee was only $10.13 per night for Senior Florida Residents. We launched our 9 1/2 foot inflatable powered by the electric Torqeedo outboard motor, and explored the East side of Hontoon Island, on one day (up to Blue springs, and to Snake Creek). We saw our first LImpkin (A bird unique to this area, which exists mostly on “apple snails”.) Plenty of Alligators and turtles, as well as many heron, egrets and other small water fowl. The next day we went up the West Side of the island, and about half way into Snake Creek (which would not be passable by C Dory because of snags and shoaling). We saw many Ibis and Storks, as well as many other birds. Friday night was a great dinner. “No Alcohol” allow at the Island, so there was some innovation as to the containers which beer and wine appeared in. The State Park is free of admission. There is a free ferry, but the last one leaves at about 5: 30 PM. A great group of Park Rangers run the place, along with volunteer rangers. There are cabins and campsites on the Island. Plenty of room for the 70 plus attendees (some came by car and motorcycle just for the evenings. Each night was followed by a campfire. Saturday AM a light plane did 3 passes to take photos of the C Dorys filling up the docks! We gave a short question and answer session Saturday at 11 AM. Saturday night, there was another potluck with KFC as the main meat. This was followed by another campfire.

Sunday, was saying goodbye to many of our friends, but about a dozen boats elected to remain on the river. We went with 6 other C brats, lead by Tom and Joyce. First stop was De Leon Springs. (The photos do it better justice than any description). This was a resort, and taken over by the state about 25 years ago. There is a restaurant which has griddles at the tables, and DIY pancakes for breakfast. We got in early—by the “opening time” of 9 AM, the place was full (mostly locals). The next day, we ran to Astor. Weed anchoring—(where you push the boat into the lilies or water hyacinths) was a first. We then ran to Silver Glen Springs. (National Forrest Service). We did not go into the actual springs, but there is an area where many boats can anchor in clear 72 degree water. Great night there. The next day was to the old town of Welaka. There is a very nice free town dock. It was about a 2 block walk to free restrooms and showers, and 2 more blocks to: ”Shrimp R Us”: Fantastic Crab cakes!

The next day, we made it back to Astor (maybe had a gallon of fuel left) to fill up, and back to Hontoon to say “Goodbye” to the remainder of the 7! We headed up River (South) too find the elusive entrance to the Econlockhatee River (one of the few wild rivers of Florida). We heard Molly Borwn on the Radio, and met up with James, about the time that Crystal C and Blue Days were coming down River, having successfully gone up the Econlockhee. That day we anchored in the swamp at Deep Creek, and Molly Brown was just off the main St. John’s. An early start got us across Lake Harney, and into the upper St. Johns. The secret of finding the entrance, was using Google Earth, or similar satellite system. We advise having another boat along, or a good kedging system to get off if you run aground. There will be shoal places. I’ll have to admit, that I had turned off the i pad, and went in almost a circle in an oxbow—James had waited for me to explore—and there it was—Google satellite showed the way! About 2.5 miles up the river, the open marsh gives way to a forested terrain, with pines as well as hardwoods. Molly Brown and we anchored in a wide bend, about 5 miles up the River.
James prepared us a wonderful meal in a Cobb cooker! The next day, James, decided to head for home, because of the health of his dog. We forged another 5 miles up the River, before we started the run back down. There was another overnight shelter about 2.5 miles further up the rive, and just beyond 3 miles was a house (road). At close to were we turned around we saw another structure, and road. We met kayakers and a few small fishing boats on the river. Several said, we were the biggest boat they had seen there.

We made the Marina in Sanford by 4:30 PM. and got a slip for the night. Dinner was at the Willow Tree Cafe (Fantastic German food, about 2 blocks from the Marina). We walking about the town and looked into the eclectic shops. Our first adventure was waiting half an hour for two trains at the Railroad bridge just South of Lake Monroe. Then about a mile down river, we were stopped by the Marine Sheriff—the river was closed due to power cables being strung. We had to wait another 15 minutes. The next day, we ran down to Hontoon State Park, doing the middle cut, and down the “dead river”—again wonder riding, where we saw a Sandhill Crane, and several other unusual birds. Our last night on the river, we were the only boat, except a house boat and the Krogen 57, in the marina. The next morning we were awoken at 6AM by a group of boys staying in the campground. We might as well get up—and once back to Ed Stone park, and the boat was hauled, the GPS showed we could be home by 4:30 PM—so off we went—it was closer to 5:30 pm, but all in a day’s drive of 450 miles.

What a fantastic trip, group of people and River! Thanks to the C brats who made this possible.

Books we used and read fully before our trip: River of Lakes, by Bill Bellville; St. Johns River Guide Book, by Kevin M. McCarthy; Boating and Cruising guide to the St. Johns River, by Tom Kranz (has good anchorages marked). Audubon Field Guide to Florida, Birds of Florida, by Stan Tekiela, and Sibley Guide to Birds.

Photos in the 2016 St. Johns gathering, and in Thataway Album.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice trip report! Thanks for "taking us along" with you! Very Happy

Jim
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:
Nice trip report! Thanks for "taking us along" with you! Very Happy

Jim

X 2 - enjoyed the pics as well

Regards, Rob

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish we had been able to be there! Maybe next year!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Larry Patrick

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea -Jo
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear of such an enjoyable trip. We toured the area back in January for first time,Hoontoon Island ,Blue Springs ,we cut through some canal about 1/2 mile above Blue Springs and made a loop ,forget the name of channel but it was tight,ranger suggested it. We stayed at a lake marina about 15 minutes by boat from Hoontoon for a week. They had a picture of a monkey on the island across from Hoontoon,where we gassed up everybody was talking about it and keeping an eye out for it.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, Thanks for that write up and for the pictures. What a great gathering, and nearly as many boats as at Friday Harbor too. One of these times I hope to be able to make it to that end of the country and enjoy some of your scenery. Not sure how I would feel about being out in the water in an inflatable sharing the space with the 'gators, and their friends (snapping turtles and cotton mouths) but the birds and trees would be great.

Here is a link to the album for Thisaway-Thataway on the St.John's and Econlockhatchee River

Thanks for sharing that.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

voyager638

City/Region: tallahassee
C-Dory Year: 2014
Vessel Name: LAST HOORAH
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Trips Reply with quote

Really enjoyed reading about your trip. Let me introduce myself, I am David. I have owned a cruiser 25 for the past two years, but not yet attended a gathering. Hope to do so in Apalachicola later this year. I live in Tallahassee.

In the way of trips, my big adventure this year is the "Great Loop". So far I have made my way from the mouth of the St. Marks River to the Hudson River in New York, by way of Ft. Meyers, the Okeechobee Waterway, the ICW to the Chesapeake Bay, the Chesapeake Bay, the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal, the Delaware and New Jersey ICWs, a 20 mile stretch of the Atlantic Ocean, New York Harbor and up the Hudson River to my present location at New Hamberg, New York. I only have approximately 3,800 miles to go to be back home.
thataway

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear that you are having a good "Great Loop" adventure. You have done the "hard part".

Watch for "Graceful"-Venture 26 who is also doing the loop. (on edit, she has already passed your location)--but still a great read on their blog:

https://balakera.com

Are you doing a "Blog"? I believe that there would be an interest in your continuing the "Great Loop" thread you started with updates for us to follow.

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?p=286628&highlight=#286628

Hope to see you in Apalachicola in Oct, and perhaps a talk on the trip!
anchorout

City/Region: Lake Charles
State or Province: LA
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: EZ DUZIT
Photos: EZ DUZIT
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: wildlife Reply with quote

Just a note: We made the St. Johns Gathering two years ago. This year we ventured to south Fla. and ran the 100 mile Everglades Wilderness Boat Trail. Fun trip, but if wildlife is your priority, do the St. Johns. We were surprised at how few birds, gators, manatee, etc. that we saw in the Everglades, while every turn of the St. Johns River brought a new spectacle.

Glad everyone had a good time.

thataway

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly agree that the wild life, diversity and birding was far better in the St. John's than the Everglades. Other than some specific sanctuaries, the birding on the St. John's is the best we have seen.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: wildlife Reply with quote

anchorout wrote:
....We were surprised at how few birds, gators, manatee, etc. that we saw in the Everglades, while every turn ....

The pythons have decimated the animal life in the Everglades. Most of the small mammals are gone.

"Comparisons of road surveys conducted in 1996-1997 (prior to proliferation) and 2003-2011 (after proliferation) indicated declines from 88% to 100% in the frequency of raccoon, opossum, bobcat, rabbit, fox, and other mammalian species sightings"
moknots

City/Region: Central Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Bloo-C
Photos: Bloo-C
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Hontoon Reply with quote

Hey Doc,

Such a pleasure meeting you! Do you recall who had the 25 cat? Or what kind of flooring they had? Some kind of synthetic that let dirt and moisture through.
BTDT

City/Region: Grand Lake Oklahoma
State or Province: OK
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C- Lark Wine Down
Photos: C-Lark
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decadence carpeting? Cat o Mine
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Hontoon Reply with quote

moknots wrote:
Hey Doc,

Such a pleasure meeting you! Do you recall who had the 25 cat? Or what kind of flooring they had? Some kind of synthetic that let dirt and moisture through.

Yes it was GulfCoastJohn's "Cat O mine"

Here is the cockpit photo of the Decadence.. The inside and outside are beautiful!
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: deckadence Reply with quote

6-month update:
We're in the Pensacola NAS marina with a bimini top, so we we're not parked under pine trees dropping gunk in the cockpit. We DO have torrential Gulf Coast storms and blown debris. The Deckadence marine carpet allows all the trash to 'soak under' to the nonskid deck where it's not visible, with a clean, barefoot-comfortable pristine spun-PVC carpet surface that always looks and feels clean. Of course, leaves and large debris stay on top but it's SO cleaner and looks SO much better than the bare nonskid deck after months in the elements. At first we would roll it up and back-wash it on the finger pier, but now no longer bother until the nonskid has collected a significant sand+debris load under the carpet...every 2-3 mos or so. Out of sight, out of mind. In retrospect, we could have had the same Artic white in the cockpit as we have in the cabin (rather than Yamaha gray). I think it's going to last 10 years or more at this rate. Highly Recommended.
Thanks to Tom and Joyce on C-Otter for the original find.
Our fav upgrade, along with 3M Pristige window film, Garmin 12" MFD with AIS and Auto-Guide on Vision chips, Norcold 3.1 fridge, 3" closed cell foam California Queen size topper for the berth, and....on and on.
see performanceunderfoot.com.
More pics in the album.
Happy Boating!
John and (Yamaha Gray) Eileen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: