hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw an episode of Dr Oz and got an introduction to “Powdered Peanut Butter”. Like 80% of his audience I’m thinking “ain’t no way” right? For sure. But as they go on, it gets interesting. Less than half the calories (45 vs 190 for Jiff Natural), and less than 10% of the fat (1.5g vs 16g in the Jiff) for a 2 tablespoons serving.

Quote:
“Now, this comparison is a little misleading, because 2 tablespoons of powdered peanut butter, when reconstituted, actually makes just 1 tablespoon of spreadable peanut butter. So double the calories and fat for the powdered peanut butter. Even so, 90 calories, compared to 190 calories, for 2 tablespoons of peanut butter is a pretty big reduction.” The Kitchen.com

Have not seen it YET, but I’m going to fix that tomorrow morning.

It seems like this might be almost the perfect cruising food. You only mix (with water, equal parts) what you can use in 24 hours. Lighter, less oil (although the oils are good oils in PB), and fewer calories per volume, what’s not to try? Well, I guess, I might miss my super chunky Hoody’s All Natural.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Gene Morris

City/Region: Eureka CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Reef Madness
Photos: Reefmadness
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use powdered peanut butter all the time. Mostly for a snack with sliced apples or pretzels. Yummy stuff. Best price from Costco of course.

Mrs. Madness

NewMoon

City/Region: Holladay
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: Cindy Sea
Photos: Cindy Sea
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harvey,

Some of the stuff we take on our summers:

2% "UHT" milk in quart boxes - no refrigeration reqd until you open it.
It comes in small boxes too, but they're much more expensive.

Cold cereal.

Yogurt, plain. Add canned fruit. Keeps a long time.

Craisins - stock up in a store that has bulk foods.

Nuts - Sam's or Costco. Snack nuts, and plain walnuts and almonds to add to cereal, yogurt.

Adams peanut butter

Black beans in cans - can be jazzed up with garlic, onion, cumin, and pepper sauce (which also needs no refrigeration).
Throw in chopped/seeded fresh jalapenos when you have been to the store recently. Canned tomato too.

Tortillas

Cabbage, carrots, potatoes, onions, bell peppers

Olive oil for cooking fish, veggies

Cheese in 2lb blocks - Sam's or Costco

Cure 81 ham - slice it yourself

Apples, Oranges

Cindy Sea (CD 22 Cruiser, from 1991 to 1998)
"Cruising in a Big Way"
hardee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard, thanks for the list. Some good ideas. I have taken dry cereal - Grape Nuts or Shredded Wheat. I'm going to try cheese sticks kept in the hold under the port side seat. Also Apples sauce kept there.

I'm going to do some temperature testing, for that area, and I use a remote thermometer to keep track of that temp as I travel.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harvey,

I keep all our fresh foods under the port side table. I have had lettuce last 7 days and still quite edible. I keep my beer there as well, because everyone knows that us Brits don't like warm beer, 59 degrees (cellar temp) is just perfect. I know North Americans like to keep their beer in a fridge and kill off all the flavour, but that's not for me.

Putting on my hard hat now Razz

Martin.
hardee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin,

I keep quit a bit of stuff "under the table" so my access to that storage "hold" is limited a bit, but the forward section of that space, just aft of the v-birth bulkhead, port side, I keep pretty clear. That is going to be my "cold storage" area. I have substituted cabbage instead of lettuce, and it keeps forever.

As to the beer, I only know it works for making fish and chips. Don't know if it needs to be warm or cold for that. Confused

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bridma wrote:
us Brits don't like warm beer

That ruins one of my favorite jokes.

Q: Why do the Brits drink warm beer?
A: Lucas also makes refrigerators.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
texasair

City/Region: Cypress, Texas
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Bixby's Cub
Photos: Bixbys Cub
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gourd squash will keep for months, Spaghetti squash, butternut squash, etc.
Sliced thin, It cooks quickly, Even after cut open will keep for weeks.
Yellow squash will keep for a week or more, zucchini for a several weeks.
Store in a well ventilated mesh bag in a dry area out of the sun
Marco Flamingo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a chance to field test my "powdered milk and muesli" breakfast idea. I found a powdered milk with good reviews (Peak brand available on Amazon). I usually vacuum bag my portions because the heavier plastic used for vacuum bags can stand a lot more abuse than Ziplocks, but Ziplocks would work. One cup muesli, three tablespoons powdered milk, add water and stir. Simple.

I didn't realize that it was possible to get powdered whole milk. I was used to powdered skim milk (that flavorless blue-looking stuff aka Carnation or Western Family). Peak is decadent in comparison. Add less water and it's like half and half. No reason to carry cans of evaporated milk for anything.

The packages make for a super quick and easy breakfast and free up the stove for the espresso maker. They're so good I ate one for lunch (after having one for breakfast) on my last cruise.

My wife gave me a hard time about my collapsible, unbreakable breakfast bowls. Perfect for a CD 16 and worked great. I call them "fine china." https://www.amazon.com/Collapsible-Portable-Journeys-Dishwasher-Silicone/dp/B01A5OHOIQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_199_5?ie=UTF8&dpID=51nh5vAt4uL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL320_SR320%2C320_&refRID=2PAKB8X5EHA6EP4K15C5

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bridma

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this one. Prepare your favourite stir fry vegetables at home, put in heavy duty zip-lock type bags. Keep in cooler or fridge on boat. When ready to use, open bag, crack in two eggs, close bag. Mush up eggs a little with your fingers on the outside of the bag. Place bag in boiling water for a few minutes. Yummy.

Martin.
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martin, that made me hungry.

I have fresh cherries and cabbage in the storage in front of and below the Port side seat. Been there over a week, still good as new. The temps there, when running cool down to about 50, when anchored in a bad on an incoming tide they get up to 60ish. The highest I have seen is 62.

My yogurt has been there 9 days, and 2 of those were not water days. Cheese sticks are fine still.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
bridma

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, that is exactly what I have been trying to explain to my American friends since I have been a C-Brat. They rag me about being English and drinking warm beer. Beer should be stored at cellar temperature, 59 degrees, not in a fridge that kills off all the flavour. The bilge on a C-Dory under the dining table is perfect. I have even kept lettuce there for a week and it has been fine.

Enjoy your Broughtons adventure.

Martin.
Marco Flamingo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite beer cooling procedure didn't work on Lake Ozette. I put an aluminum can of beer in a mesh bag and dropped it down 20 feet for 1/2 hour. When I opened it, it wasn't cold at all. I had my IR thermometer on board (used to check my trailer tires and hubs). The beer was 66 degrees. That is one warm lake. That technique on Puget Sound or any lake fed by snow melt always gets it down to the low to mid 50s. On Lake Superior, it got it into the 40s even in mid-summer.

Finding a drinkable beer in an aluminum can is a bit of a chore. Aluminum cools fast and crushes down to almost nothing when empty. Foster's Ale is two beers in one can and real beer for the price of Budwiper, so that's one of my choices. I recently found Redhook ESB in aluminum can four packs. Bought out the store's inventory. Problem solved for this summer.

I surprised myself with how much drinking water I went through. I normally don't drink plastic bottled water, but I took a bunch on board. Storage, both full and when crushed, wasn't too bad, but only because I really didn't have enough for three days. I almost opened my Life Straw. A week's worth of bottled water would tax my storage. Time for a bulk water supply that's easy to access.

Mark
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really does help to be boating in cool/cold water. Lake Superior is great for that Mr. Green

I had to laugh in the tropics because the bilge was still cooler.... if you want to call 85ºF cool Laughing (and that was a deep bilge, too).
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco. you post reminded me of high school in Placerville Ca. We would go to sly park lake in the summer with inter-tubes and floating chairs to party near the dam. Would bring beer and a mesh laundry bag. Beer in the bag, long rope ( 80 ft or so) tied to the bag, suspend bag under tube. This served two functions. 1. It kept the beer really cold. 2. If the cops came by you just untied the rope (use floating rope) . Can't have the cops taking your beer when you are in high school. When the beer sinks another 10 to 20 ft deeper to the bottom of the lake the rope is only 10 to 20 ft from the surface, One of use could usually find it.

ps. dont forget the rock,beer will not sink with out a few rocks in the bag

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: