rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rum - it's a much more concentrated form of alcohol than beer. Where will you be cruising to? If part of your trip involves Canada, you need to make sure that what you plan to bring can be taken across the border. Many meats and fresh foods cannot be taken in. Ditto on the way back.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And while we are on the subject of rum lets get a few things straight. Bacardi is rum. Dark Bacardi is even better rum, and thats it. Captain cat piss is not rum. My dog can lift his leg too but I dont let him choose what we are drinking either. Wink
olsurfdog

City/Region: Carmel Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Summer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
And while we are on the subject of rum lets get a few things straight. Bacardi is rum. Dark Bacardi is even better rum, and thats it. Captain cat piss is not rum. My dog can lift his leg too but I dont let him choose what we are drinking either. Wink

Tom, I like your thinking! Meyers Rum is even a further step down the road of true "rumdom"!

Harvey, sorry for my additional hijack, this is a really good and useful thread! On second thought, rum is a most important part of any true ships stores!

Because I was where I was
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you enjoy a can of soda occasionally or regularly, the little 7.5oz mini cans are easier to pack and would fit better in some of the bilge areas to keep them cool for drinking. I ration myself one mini Dr. pepper or Mt. Dew for each day on longer kayaking trips and to me it is a treat I look forward to. On the boat, we also use them for the space savings and added bonus of a smaller portion size.

We don't do that with beer, in fact we like to bring the huge 24oz cans of Dos Equis lager just to cut down on the garbage. We just split each one into cups we reuse. I wish more decent beer came that way but the big bottles are also manageable.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do soda, although I didn't take any with me last summer. I took V-8 instead. Don't do alcohol, closest I get there is the beer battered fish and chips, Cool

I'm sure enjoying the comments here. Thanks, and no problem with the hijack.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started a list at home, and it's probably different for a CD 16, where space is really at a premium and an icebox would take up about half of the cockpit. I really would like to avoid refrigeration of any kind. I can drink beer at whatever the water temperature is below my boat. 20 minutes at 20 feet, that's my definition of cold beer.

I find that eating out of a can, ala Dinty Moore, is the most tiring part of a long trip. I need real food, so I'm looking for fresh things that keep without refrigeration. Onions, peppers, limes, tomatoes, cucumbers. Mix those ingredients with fresh fish, clam, shrimp, conch, etc. for ceviche. Scoop with fried tortilla chips (decadent) or pilot bread (mundane). I know that I can eat ceviche three times a day (I am right now).

Rice is also on my list. Short grained California, aka, sushi rice. Soak 30 minutes, boil for 10, turn it off and wait 20 minutes. Takes more planning than fuel. Almost the same ingredients as above but roll in nori for fresh sushi.

I'm going to try dried cilantro flakes for the ceviche and washabi in a tube for the sushi. I suspect both will be the the weak points in a great fresh lunch or dinner. Maybe I need some live plants aboard like mariners of old. And a goat?

I would like to find milk (regular, 2%, soy, almond, whatever) in a small box so that it could be used up in one breakfast. Something the size of the kid's juice box. There are a million choices in fake "juice" day-glow kid's flavors, but I haven't seen milk yet.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, Trader Joe's usually has small irradiated milk cartons that keep shelved for months.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

hardee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, Fresh cabbage might work on your list too. I don't cook or know ceviche, but I use it with some sliced Swiss for sandwich making.

If you are not opposed to soy or almond milk, you can get it in boxes, no refrigeration required. It comes in 1 Qt size, and once opened, it will last for the day, so you don't have to use it in one meal.

I like the 20 foot cooler idea. Have not tried that one.

Harvey
[b]SleepyC[/b Moon

bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgetting the "bum & baccy" bit Laughing There is only one dark rum and that is Meyer's. The rest is mouthwash.

Martin.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco,

I don't know if it's any good (because I was so bad at fishing I never got a chance to try it!), but I had a (re-sealable) tin of powdered wasabi along when sailing. If it was good, it would sure be easy/light/small/long-lasting on a C-Dory. I got it at a fancy Whole Foods type place.
Marco Flamingo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cabbage is on the list, along with tortillas. Cabbage is fridgeless lettuce. I don't know what they are doing to corn tortillas now, but they seem to last 10 days easily without refrigeration. Fish taco night (using cabbage).

I'm doing field research in Belize right now. Smile Poor me. I just found 6 oz. cans of evaporated milk for 75 cents U.S. They reconstitute to 9 oz. of whole milk. Most people bring back rum. I'll probably trigger some customs search by bringing back 20 cans of milk.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Flamingo wrote:
Most people bring back rum. I'll probably trigger some customs search by bringing back 20 cans of milk.

Mark

Ha! I hear you. I brought back one bottle of rum, and as much canned butter (and that sort of thing that you couldn't easily get here) as I could! Much better selection of non-refrigerated stuff in Central America (at least then).
hardee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Flamingo wrote:
Cabbage is on the list, along with tortillas. Cabbage is fridgeless lettuce. I don't know what they are doing to corn tortillas now, but they seem to last 10 days easily without refrigeration. Fish taco night (using cabbage).

I'm doing field research in Belize right now. Smile Poor me. I just found 6 oz. cans of evaporated milk for 75 cents U.S. They reconstitute to 9 oz. of whole milk. Most people bring back rum. I'll probably trigger some customs search by bringing back 20 cans of milk.

Mark

Sounds like tough work. Stay careful. So a 6oz can could make 12 ounces of milk, until somebody figures out that it is just liquefied white powder. Let us know how long you will be staying Shocked Wink Laughing

Seriously, the Honeyville link posted earlier has really good powdered milk. I have used it for years.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon
Embarrased Embarassed
Marco Flamingo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Seriously, the Honeyville link posted earlier has really good powdered milk. I have used it for years.

Checked out the site and the Honeyville "non-milk" powder is rated even higher than their milk.

http://shop.honeyville.com/review/product/list/id/597/category/36/

I'm a scone addict and have a "just add water" recipe that uses powdered egg and milk. The problem is trying to figure out a way to bake scones every morning on a 16. Powdered milk and muesli seems much simpler.

Mark
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marco Flamingo wrote:
Maybe I need some live plants aboard like mariners of old.

A lot of cruising sailors still do! Often they hang vertical gardens to the mast. We met a sailor on the Trent Severn a couple of years ago that had a herb garden growing on his foredeck. You can see his picture on page 4 of our Trent Severn album.

The goat would give you fresh milk and she would keep your crops trimmed so they didn't get out of hand making your boat top heavy! Cool

Regards, Rob

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: