The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Seawater into freshwater tank via thru-hull overflow tube
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cschwankl

City/Region: Anchorage / Prince William Sound
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Fish Hawk
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Seawater into freshwater tank via thru-hull overflow tube Reply with quote

My first post as an official C-Brat!

My wife and I recently purchased a 23' Venture. When we winterized her we noticed that the fresh water tank had what appears to be mold or algal contamination. I believe it's due to outside seawater and/or rain streaming into the freshwater tank from the thru-hull overfill/air tube.

My questionn is, how do I prevent this problem?

Ideally I'd like to install some sort of device that will allow water out of the line but completely prevent water from coming in. Even if such a thing existed, it might cause vacuum suction problems when I turn on the water pump because it would then be a sealed system not allowing air in.

I'm considering just plugging the hole through the hull and not having any sort of overfill tube, leaving the top opening open to still allow air in. It's a 20 gal tank and I'd like to get in the habit of only filling it with 10 gal so that at the end of a weekend I can empty the rest and always fill with fresh water before starting a trip. If I happen to really screw up and overfill there is a bilge pump right near the base of the water tank.

For now I've removed the tank and I'm going to clean it by filling it with 10% bleach solution.

Any information or suggestions on how to prevent this problem would be greatly appreciated!

Chris
Fish Hawk
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Seawater into freshwater tank via thru-hull overflow tub Reply with quote

Cschwankl wrote:
My first post as an official C-Brat!

My wife and I recently purchased a 23' Venture. When we winterized her we noticed that the fresh water tank had what appears to be mold or algal contamination. I believe it's due to outside seawater and/or rain streaming into the freshwater tank from the thru-hull overfill/air tube.

My questionn is, how do I prevent this problem?

Ideally I'd like to install some sort of device that will allow water out of the line but completely prevent water from coming in. Even if such a thing existed, it might cause vacuum suction problems when I turn on the water pump because it would then be a sealed system not allowing air in.

I'm considering just plugging the hole through the hull and not having any sort of overfill tube, leaving the top opening open to still allow air in. It's a 20 gal tank and I'd like to get in the habit of only filling it with 10 gal so that at the end of a weekend I can empty the rest and always fill with fresh water before starting a trip. If I happen to really screw up and overfill there is a bilge pump right near the base of the water tank.

For now I've removed the tank and I'm going to clean it by filling it with 10% bleach solution.

Any information or suggestions on how to prevent this problem would be greatly appreciated!

Chris
Fish Hawk

I rather doubt it is due to contamination from the outside sources. Every fresh water tank will eventually get some mold or algae. You pretty much have to empty it every now and then and add some bleach water. 10% is a bit high. 1% is plenty if left in contact with the tank for 20-30 mins.

Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleach works, but you might look into hydrogen peroxide. Bleach actually has kind of a short shelf life for use as a disinfectant. Just because it stinks doesn't mean that it's still potent. Check out this comparison site.

http://www.education.nh.gov/instruction/school_health/documents/disinfectants.pdf

Hydrogen peroxide doesn't have the potential for liver and kidney damage, etc. Buy a quart and use the whole thing, as it also has a shelf life. No odor and if left long enough in the tank, you don't even have to rinse (but I sure would because it is likely to "fizz" off the scum that you can see through the tank).

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

Are you saying you could just put in a quart of Hydrogen Peroxide into the tank, (I'm thinking the House System water to the sink tank) and leave it in there, fill the tank with the 15 gallons and then use that water as you go? (If you are not drinking it or cooking with it.)

Because I don't use much of that water, washing me and dishes mostly I have just left a small amount of bleach in the tank to keep it from getting "green things"Shocked in it. Helps to keep my hair blonde Cool too Laughing

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Marco Flamingo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey,

Hydrogen peroxide will also make you blonde (hence the term "peroxide blonde"), but unlike bleach it quickly dissipates in most conditions. A quart to 15 gallons would definitely sterilize the tank. At our cabin, I use one cup to approx 100 gallons in my wood fired hot tub (actually a cattle water trough). After one hour, the peroxide has flashed off and the water (which comes from a spring) is fine for use. That's in part because H2O2 decomposes after reacting with any contaminants and by the rising temperature in the tub. No bleaching effect, no smell, no irritation, but I'm not sure that I would drink the water. Beer

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark,

(BTW Cool house stuff.)

The OP mentions water possible water intrusion via the overflow tube.
"I believe it's due to outside seawater and/or rain streaming into the freshwater tank from the thru-hull overfill/air tube." This had me thinking of a live well type tank, not the house system tank. I'm not sure how that system works on the 23, but on the 22, the vent tube is inside the cabin. Not likely to get Salt Water or rain into that one.

I don't think I would want SW access to my fresh water system tank.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Cschwankl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm talking about the house water tank that supplies water to the sink. On my 23 Venture the tank has an overflow tube from the top of the tank through the hull to the exterior. Presumably designed that way so that you could never spill water into the boat by overfilling the tank and to prevent the electric sink pump from creating a vacuum inside the tank. It's a flawed design though because it definitely allows seawater and/or rainwater to stream into the tube and in the tank as water slides down/alongside the hull while under way - especially in heavy seas. I'm probably going to plug the hole through the hull, get rid of the overflow tube, and just be careful to not fill the tank more than 2/3 full. I gather hardly anyone uses the sink water for anything except washing dishes and hands, but I'll clean the tank with H2O2 or a low concentration of bleach and scrub the inside of the tank with a flexible long handled brush so it's nice and clean anyway. Or at least that's the plan for now. Thanks for the info.
drbridge

Vessel Name: Susan Marie
Photos: Susan Marie
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been a Washington State Department of Health Certified Water Distribution manager for many years. I have no knowledge of using hydrogen peroxide for decontamination or purification of a water system. This is how the water main that serves your home is treated when new pipes are installed during construction and also in the case of a distribution system being contaminated. The pipe and/or reservoir is super chlorinated at approximately 50 parts per million of 10% sodium hypochlorite (Clorox is 6%). It is then required to soak for 48 hours. It is then flushed thoroughly before bacteria samples are taken. once these samples pass the test the system is put in to use. If the samples fail the process is repeated. It is very seldom that if the process is done right it does not pass on the first attempt. This is how the water distribution system that serves your home is treated and I have full confidence it will work on your c-dory. I super chlorinate and then thoroughly flush ours at the start of the season and I have no problem drinking water out of the tank after that. If water is left stagnant in a tank for a long period of time without chlorination bacteria will start to grow. It is not always harmful even if it looks nasty, but best to kill it off all the same.

Doug

Cschwankl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife beat me to the punch and cleaned the tank without me knowing it. She used 10% bleach for two days. I then dumped the bleach solution and flushed thoroughly with fresh water. The tank is now sparkling clean and ready to be reinstalled.
hardee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cschwankl, The "vent tube" in the 22's is a clear vinyl tube with the top well above the level of the fill port on the gunnel. It is inside and I put a bit of gauze over the end to discourage 6 or 8 legged visitors. Also allows for visual inspection of tank fill level and clear water.

Doug, Thanks for that explanation. It sounds like my bleach treatment of the system is OK then, and I may continue as planned. It has worked before. I do leave a bit of bleach in the system to discourage the green stuff because I don't empty the tank each trip.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also thinking of installing a plug or sea cock in my thru-hull when not in use or if I'm moored overnight. My thru-hull location is only about 4 inches above the top of the "bottom paint" line. I really wish I had went a few inches higher but that's not worth complaining about now. I don't think it's possible for water to "intrude" because the drain hose is almost vertical that goes to my sink....but better safe than sorry.

Any ideas? A plug would be great but not while in the water.....A seacock seems like the way to go but they only come pre-assembled with the thru hull, right?

Or should I just forget about it and enjoy the boat!? HAHA

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht (Twin 385 Crusaders) (SOLD 6/20)

2000 Camano 31 Troll (Volvo TAMD41p) (SOLD 2/19)

2007 C Dory 25' Cruiser (200 hp Suzuki, sold 7/17)

2003 C Dory 19' Angler (80 hp Yamaha, sold 7/16)

1995 C Dory 16' Angler (40 hp Yamaha, sold 2/16)
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chloramine is used in some water systems .
see
http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drinking/public/chloramine-disinfection.html

Back to the Q
Excellent advice from everyone.

Sometimes multiple treatments to thoroughly clean your water tank may be needed. Most likely there is a biofilm present and difficult to remove and additional treatments may be required and cant give the tank inside a good scrubbing. Personally I like hot water with a little bleach, lots of agitation and soak time,

BTW we used vaporized hydrogen peroxide in our labs in case of major accident or agent release
see
https://www.steris.com/products/vaporized-hydrogen-peroxide-sterilizer

HVP was used mail facilities and federal government buildings
one article
http://2001-2009.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2003/18992.htm

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 22 cruiser has the water tank with an external vent, It is located on the outside of the hull near the water fill port. It is one of those silver post things like this:

https://fisheriessupply.scene7.com/is/image/FisheriesSupply/260036_DEN_ST04_PPM?$Zcategories$&wid=160&hei=160
Marco Flamingo

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is usually the same style of vent as the fuel tank vent. Like that vent, the line to it needs to have a nice big loop that goes up as high as you can get it above the tank fill line, preferably right at the point of attachment to the vent. That way, a big wave pounding into the vent will not be able to squirt water up and into the tank. You also don't want a low spot in the line. That creates a "P trap" situation that will suck water out of the trap area and into the tank as the water is used.

I'm surprised that the C Dory freshwater tanks vent through the hull. Worst case scenario, the tank is overfilled and a little squirt of freshwater gets on the fiberglass. That doesn't justify a hole in the hull for me. I don't think I've ever had a boat with an overboard freshwater vent.

Mark
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always fill my water tank to the limit when going on a longer trip. Never had a problem that I am aware of. Like someone else mentioned, I don't know anyone who drinks direct from the tank. I use it for washing the dishes, washing my hands, or a strip bath. For drinking, I carry a 5 gal portable or a case of bottled water.
I did get a contaminated tank once from using an old hose that had been laying around. A cup of bleach to a tank fill up, let sit overnight then flush, sorted it out. I did do this flush twice.

Martin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Freshwater Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: