View previous topic :: View next topic  
UncleRichie

City/Region: Bainbridge Is.
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Critter
Photos: C-Critter
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 6:59 pm    Post subject: Blackmouth Fishing Reply with quote

Hi,
Went out sunday northend of Bainbridge Island we caught two one 13lbs and one about 6lbs were pulling coyote spoons my buddie caught the big one. Were back in by 12:30 nice day some wind in the morning but droped by 9am.
Richard
lyle-t

City/Region: Olympia
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Scorpio
Photos: Scorpio
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richard
How deep were you trolling and were you useing downriggers? We have been fooling with the chum salmon in hoods canal the past two weeks and having a blast. I took some friends who never caught anything bigger than a 10inch trout out by the hatchery in Scorpio. They caught at least a dozen each which I had them set loose as they were not anything I wanted to eat. They could not believe how many fish were jumping and how many people were out there fishing for them. Lyle
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there are any others out there from somewhere outside the Northwest that are unfamiliar with the history of blackmouth salmon and how they differ from the rest of the Chinook (or King) salmon, I found this source to help clairfy the issue: http://www.pugetsoundanglers.org/Fishing%20Info/Blackmouth_PS.htm . Joe.
UncleRichie

City/Region: Bainbridge Is.
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: C-Critter
Photos: C-Critter
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
We were using divers with about a 100 feet of line out and about 6 feet of line between it and the coyote spoons. Used green color spoons thats all they seemed to want. Got alot of footballs (between 16 and 20 inches) fun to catch, no small silvers at all.
Richard
Helen O

City/Region: Cathlamet
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Helen O'
Photos: Helen O'
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the report guys. I've fished for blackmouth a couple of times a long time ago. Looking forward to doing it again. About 20 years ago I fished the Pt Defiance area in December. Caught lotsa fish then with few boats on the water. Thumbs Up
True Story

City/Region: Snoqualmie
Vessel Name: True Story
Photos: True Story
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

It's great that we've got this opportunity to discuss blackmouth fishing or fishing in general for that matter on this site. The boys down south took advantage of the previous site talking about all of that great fishing on the Columbia. But, we can have some pretty decent fishing right here in River City and we should share our successes and failures.

We went out last Saturday and fished Point No Point and Pilot Point. It was a little lumpier than I like, but we had a great day. We LOST one downrigger ball about 15, two flashers about 11 and a couple of spoons about 3. But, we FOUND two blackmouth about 8, two silvers about 8 and a bunch of chum salmon that we released. Fished right on the deck in water ranging from 80 to 110 feet deep. Used glow-green flashers and either a army truck coho killer spoon or the green herring grand slam bucktail with the abundance of action coming from the Coho Killer.

Forecast looks bleak for this coming weekend but will try to get out a couple of more times before the end of the month.

Tim
Helen O

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lyle ol' buddy ol' pal. Mr. Green Keep me posted on that Nisqually trip you have planned. I'd like to fish that area real soon. Just got my electronics back from Raymarine tonight and I'm getting real ansy to do some fishing. Looks like I missed the late run of silvers on the Cowlitz.
Anyhow, when I fished the Dalco area a long time ago we ran out and turned off the engine and drifted along mooching with about 2-3 oz. of lead ahead of a plug cut herring. It sure was fun. I'm thinking about coming up there for 3-4 days soon.
lyle-t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Larry:
Any time you want to come up this way we can go fishing. Rolling Eyes There are a couple nice boat ramps near Olympia and and a couple near Tacoma. Email me at stephan193@hotmail and we can set up a date to go. You know the way to my place and I have lots of room to park your rig if you need to.
Lyle

C-Dory Year: 2002
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:36 pm    Post subject: technique Reply with quote

this is really helpful! Please include more on gear, depth and technique for catching winter blackmouth...

Oh, and thanks for re-directing me to the new site!
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo, I have a break in the schedule between the 7th and the 12th, any fishing to be found in the sound?
Helen O

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ken, the blackmouth should be biting. I'm planning a trip up there soon and could make it the 7th to the 12th if you want to go. Was thinking Gig Harbor area. That area is well protected and the water was flat as glass the last time I was there. Thoughts?
B~C

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry, Gig Harbor could be just the ticket if the weather isn't to raspy.....I think a plan is being spawned
True Story

City/Region: Snoqualmie
Vessel Name: True Story
Photos: True Story
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken, I'd be up for some fishing down there if it's going to occur on a weekend. May be able to sneak out on a weekday too. Point Defiance can be good fishing that time of the year on an outgoing tide and Point Dalco (due north about two miles) is good on the incoming. Tides during the day look good that week also. Point Dalco is definitely a mooching show due to the irregularity of the bottom while Point Defiance is better suited for downriggers. Had good luck last winter at PD fishing around 150' deep right on the deck. Tim
lyle-t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:40 pm    Post subject: Larry, B~C. Reply with quote

Laughing It would seem to be that we can plan on a fish trip together! Just let me know the date and I will preempt my calander to go with you. Hearing good reports of fishing off Anderson and McNeil islands right now. Both places protected from winds and even if a little lumpy ride to get there should get calm water for the fishing. I have charts for that area. Mostly the wind is from the South West when I have tried it. Do either of you have downriggers? I have one Cannon on Scorpio and a mini troll which is a gunnel clamp on. I have some Pink Ladys which dive pretty deep but make heavy pull on rods. Gig harbour has a bait outfit which has fresh herring or frozen herring at a good price. Keep me posted as to when you are going to be up this way.
B~C

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True Story Tim, Great, but if I haul up there to go fishing, you have to promise to haul down for annual Columbia Salmon harvest Smile ...smells like a Blackmouth trip is brewing....Lyle....where's Lyle?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: