The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Boat vintage and hull design

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wood Zeppelin

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Creature
Photos: Childhood Dream
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:43 am    Post subject: Boat vintage and hull design Reply with quote

I'm planning to buy a C-Dory, and have read a few posts referring to years in which things were done better or worse.

For example a 2003 vs 1989. Is one better? Stronger? Less likely to have balsa core issues?

Thanks for any wisdom!

-James

Current boats:

1997 22' Angler - "C-Creature"
1988 16' Angler - "E-fishn-C" (Project boat)
1997 16' Cruiser - "Wet-a-Net"

Also:
14.5' Drift Boat - "Wood Zeppelin"
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wondered the same thing when I was first starting to think about a 22 Cruiser. So, I did tons of reading and then looked at a number of boats of different vintages. Here are my thoughts:

1) There is no one magic best year, and likewise, no worst one. Sometimes you hear that the older ones are much better built, but I didn't really notice that as a rule. Neither did I notice the newer ones being superior ("newer" for me was around 2008; it's quite possible that the boats built in the most recent few years are better, but they don't really publicize the improvements, so it's hard to know. In any case, I was mostly looking at boats from 1987 to 2008 or so).

2) C-Dorys of any year are reasonably well built, but they are production boats and all have some building/rigging practices of one type or another that are not ideal from my point of view (e.g. unsealed core, silicone bedding, un-tidy wiring, mixed metals riveting rail on, etc.). Again, none of them looked to be in the custom or semi-custom build category. That's typical in production boats in my experience.

3) In any individual used boat, condition is where its at, for me. How was it built, stored, maintained, and used? The latter three may easily eclipse the first one, even if the boat was built perfectly (and none are).

4) For me with the 22's (and because I'm a detail person), it was about figuring out which features came and went when, and then deciding which ones I wanted (that all came together in one boat). Then of course the actual boats available also influenced me. In my case I liked the particular "feature mix" of the early 2000's boats, so that's what I looked for. Others likely prefer other vintages.

So, for me, what I was looking for were as many of these things as I could find in one boat: Early 2000's; stored indoors; grey, red, green, or blue trim; twins; tandem trailer; not too customized or outfitted (I like to choose my own stuff and mount it myself); seller I could work with (would send photos, etc.); purchasable before summer.

In the end, I didn't get twins (but it turns out I prefer the single because I use the big swim platform all the time), and the seller was a pain to work with (but otherwise the boat was just what I wanted, so I dealt with it).

So anyway, upshot is, I didn't see any years that were built terribly - and neither did I see any years that were built perfectly. What I did find was a progression of feature changes that influenced what year range of boat I was looking for. And plus of course condition, condition, condition!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent you an answer to the PM you sent to me. Basically it depends on how the boat was treated. Stored indoors, should be best, under a boat cover out of the water, very good. .

If you go back to print to 1987,, there will be plywood core.

Some of the latest boats may have foam core.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
queenBEA

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Queen BEA
Photos: Queen BEA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a 1984 27' commercial fishing boat with a 110 hp Volvo Penta turbo charged diesel. It has a long house and tow 100 gallon ice wells. I had a marine surveyor inspect the boat before my purchase. He said it was in astonishingly excellent shape and I am most happy with it. My advise is to have a marine surveyor check it over before the purchase worth the expense.

David
Queen Bea
queenBEA

City/Region: Soldotna
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Queen BEA
Photos: Queen BEA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a 1984 27' commercial fishing boat with a 110 hp Volvo Penta turbo charged diesel. It has a long house and tow 100 gallon ice wells. I had a marine surveyor inspect the boat before my purchase. He said it was in astonishingly excellent shape and I am most happy with it. My advise is to have a marine surveyor check it over before the purchase worth the expense.

David
Queen Bea
Wood Zeppelin

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Creature
Photos: Childhood Dream
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:07 am    Post subject: Thataway - cores Reply with quote

Thataway, So in 1987 the cores were plywood? Was that the last year? What about 1988 (I just bought a 1988!)
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

queenBEA wrote:

David
Queen Bea

I cannot agree more with this quote , spend the money and have the boat surveyed buy a reputable surveyor. Additionally, do some research on the surveyor also. My current 25 had a number of issues I overlooked because I did not know what I was looking for. Plus I think that we can all agree when you have the means to purchase a boat your emotions often take over.
It is well worth the money to have a professional look over the boat and give you a perspective as to what its condition is.

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Thataway - cores Reply with quote

Wood Zeppelin wrote:
Thataway, So in 1987 the cores were plywood? Was that the last year? What about 1988 (I just bought a 1988!)

To my knowledge when the hull form was changed, the factory went to balsa core.

I certainly agree with getting a good survey. Problem is that good surveyors are not easy to find. Especially those who really know cored hulls and C Dory's. There are several ways to check for moisture in the core--including a moisture meter, the old fashioned tap with a phenolic hammer, or screwdriver handle or...dime! Also IR (FLIR) color temp photography is another useful way to detect water intrusion. Look for any screws into the core. Remove them, and probe for moisture as a starter. If the boat has always b been kept under storage, and water not allowed to sit in the cockpit floor, then a far better chance that there will be no issues.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: Thataway - cores Reply with quote

Wood Zeppelin wrote:

My 2 cents: The plywood hull cores were used on the pre-1987 22's we refer to as "Classics" that had a flat bottom (looks like the flat bottom of a clothes iron, exactly, from underneath).

The 1987 and all later CD-22's have a slight (2 degree at the back, more forward) "V" hull, necessitating a core bendable into compound curves, so the use of a flat sheet of plywood was out after 1986.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it! Laughing

Joe. Teeth Thumbs Up

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
chriscarrera

City/Region: Bellingham
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Carrera
Photos: Carrera
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, unlike the plywood floor, the transom is about 2 inches of balsa. Probably to accommodate the curvature.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: