View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Windlass Q&A, Any Experience with Quick and 8 Plait rode Reply with quote

Windlass Q&A, Any Experience with Quick and 8 Plait rode?

There is a somewhat related thread:

The Quick Genius 600 Horizonal Windlass.

But is has been a few years and I am hoping for some new and updated info.

I need help with sorting some things out. I have a Quick 600 Genius windlass, made in Italy, and it has a 7mm / 1/4” gypsy. It has worked fine with the existing ½" 3 strand nylon spliced into a single link (that is about 1.5 inches long) that is over size from the ¼” HT chain connected by a single quick link. It has gone through the gypsy with minimal issue. (On a rare time when it will slip, I have to run the rode out a foot or so and then back in again, which works every time.)

Now I am considering (as in already ordered) 250ft of 8 Plait ½” nylon from Defender to extend length and have more line fit into the same space in the locker as my current 3 strand. The 8 Plait is more flexible and "softer" from what I can ascertain.

Yesterday, I got a message from Defender:
Quote:
“Thank you for your recent order with Defender. We are working on processing, but did want to go over some concerns with you before our rigger begins the actual splicing work. First of all, Quick windlasses usually require you to use their own brand rodes. We have had several instances where rodes we made will not run through a Quick windlass, despite being the right size specs. Once these rodes are made, they are non-returnable and we cannot warranty them for windlass-compatibility issues. One concern noted with the line selected is we’re not sure your windlass will run the 8-plait as the specs for the windlass are showing 14mm which is closer to 9/16 than ½". … In the end it is 100% your choice on how to proceed, but we did want to point out these things before we begin production (while there is still time to stop or change the order.) Once production has started, this rode becomes yours and cannot be returned."
Emphasis is mine

So my question to the CBRATS is:
Has anyone gone from using 3 strand to 8 Plait? Did you have to change size (diameter) of the line. Quick said I may need to go to 12 Plait, 12 mm and that would entail changing chain size (to 8mm from 7) and that would mean changing the Gypsy too. Not what I am looking to do ($$$$$) so looking for real world knowledge (not lawyer talk (except for you Pat) and real world experience.

Are you using a Quick Windlass? Have you tried 8 Plait? In a Quick or other brand? How did the change work out?

Thanks for any input. (And I know, any one change on a boat requires at least a dozen more changes for any one thing to work.)

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Kushtaka

City/Region: Cordova
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Photos: Kushtaka
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I"ve switched from 3-strand to 8 plait in a lewmar pro-fish. They performed identically through the gypsy (they both do ok) but I can get twice the 8 plait into my locker.

Neither pulls well, really. I always have to provide an "assist." I was hoping the 8 plait was going to run through the gyspsy better.
hardee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kushtaka wrote:
I"ve switched from 3-strand to 8 plait in a lewmar pro-fish. They performed identically through the gypsy (they both do ok) but I can get twice the 8 plait into my locker.

Neither pulls well, really. I always have to provide an "assist." I was hoping the 8 plait was going to run through the gyspsy better.

The reason I was working on the switch was exactly that. More rode into the locker. My windlass is different (Quick, made in Italy) and after talking to them today, the differences in rode and requirements are minisqual but major. A 1 mm difference in the same line (like 1/2" 3 strand) can make the difference in if it grips in the gypsy or not. The same size (1/2" in the 3 strand vs the 8 Plait) may not work because the 8-Plait is softer so it compresses more and the grips in the gypsy don't have anything providing resistance to so they slide right over the rode without moving it.

There are differences in how the windlasses are made so this may not be the same for your windlass, (YMMV).

I don't think that you should have to manually assist the windlass very often. OR, what's the point.

Thanks Doug for your help.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Moxieabs

City/Region: Cape Neddick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Widget
Photos: Widget
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changed from manually pulling 1/2" 3 strand to Lewmar V700 & 8 plait & chain. Does fine with the 8 plait, occasionally the professionally done splice jambs, but a quick reversal & good to go. No need to assist other than occasionally spreading the 8 plait pile in the locker.
hardee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received this in a PM from another CBRAT. Sounds like he is happy with the 8 Plait.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: