The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Jeeps and C-Dory's, a connection?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wood Zeppelin

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Creature
Photos: Childhood Dream
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Jeeps and C-Dory's, a connection? Reply with quote

I have a Jeep I plan to tow my future C-Dory with. I've noticed there seems to be a lot of Jeep owners who are also C-Dory owners. Jeeps are unique and so are C-Dory's. I think they both have a similar aesthetic as well as functional appeal. Does there seem to be a connection out there?

And, do Jeeps make good tow vehicles for C-Dorys!?

-James

Current boats:

1997 22' Angler - "C-Creature"
1988 16' Angler - "E-fishn-C" (Project boat)
1997 16' Cruiser - "Wet-a-Net"

Also:
14.5' Drift Boat - "Wood Zeppelin"
Wood Zeppelin

C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Creature
Photos: Childhood Dream
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: C-Jeep and PNWJeeper Reply with quote

I've noticed usernames "C-Jeep" and PNWJeeper"...
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several of us occasionally refer to C-Dory boats as the "Jeep of boats" due to their utilitarian design and overall lovability.
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James, yes I believe there are similarities & in more ways than just the utilitarian concept of the two. With especially, the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon & CD22 having the go anywhere look with the ability to actually do it matched. Yet, I see most of the jeep wranglers set up for the extra rugged look, doing mostly mall cruising & many of the CD22's set up & used similarly except being on the water. Which is very fortunate for those in the market to buy used in near new condition.

We have owned many jeeps over the years with my first jeep experience, driving my Dad's Willys off road at age 10 & the present a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. We have owned our CD22 since 2003. Both our good looking Jeep Wrangler & CD22, have had their good looks with matching superb capabilities, well tested, but we would not use our Jeep Wrangler for towing the CD22, though it would be a wonderful looking set up if it's spec's qualified it to do so.

Jay

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on various reports, I'd say that C-Dorys are quite a bit more reliable than Jeeps.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
Based on various reports, I'd say that C-Dorys are quite a bit more reliable than Jeeps.

I second that and might compare them more generally to Subarus in general capability.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurelia wrote:
ssobol wrote:

I second that and might compare them more generally to Subarus in general capability.

Greg

You two, may well be right if your applying your comments of the jeep being unreliable & also comparable to a Subaru in context to a jeep in the collective term encompassing most all the jeep brand name's made presently by Fiat Chrysler, as I can only relate my personal experience in the last six years to the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. If so a better comparison would have been the Toyota FJ Cruiser to the jeep, though both with their high relative fuel mileage, making for one comparison to a C-Dory that is poor. The Jeep Wrangler Rubicon is one of the very few passenger vehicles still produced that uses solid front & rear axles, that come standard with lockers in both axles with a quick disconnect front suspension that gives it the ability to go over extremely rough terrain slowly, but very reliably with the additional ability to smoothly cruise on a freeway. I have found this present variation of the jeep the most reliable road vehicle I've owned so far. I could only wish all the Ford, Chevy, Dodge & other makes of vehicles I've owned in the last 49 years would have been near as well made. Thus said, I'm still not disagreeing with those who have had troubles with them, but I feel like those who have abused them, either C-Dory or Jeep Rubicon there are limits to how extreme they can be used & still hold up & there is the possibility of lemons & cherries coming out of the same factory. This, I can say for sure. In the comparable time I've owned & used both C-Dory & the 80000 miles on the two Jeep Wrangler Rubicon's, I've only had to perform preventative maintenance on the jeeps, while the C-Dory has consumed enumerable hours of my time doing actual repair, replacement & upkeep.

Greg, after posting the above paragraph, I re read your comment & then understood you were comparing the Subaru line up to the C-Dory & not to jeeps as I thought, so I'm editing this to say, I actually agree the Subaru might be a better overall comparison, though the best perhaps the old vintage VW bus.

Jay
CDory23

State or Province: CA
Photos: CDory23
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the Subaru comparison, but I may be bias because of my new WRX purchase and the fact that my family has owned and loved Subarus for the last 15 or so years.

Hunky Dory wrote:

[In the comparable time I've owned & used both C-Dory & the 80000 miles on the two Jeep Wrangler Rubicon's, I've only had to perform preventative maintenance on the jeeps, while the C-Dory has consumed enumerable hours of my time doing actual repair, replacement & upkeep.

That's every boat owner![/quote]
Gene&Mary

City/Region: Seattle/Center Island
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Linnea
Photos: Linnea
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After comparing most of the vehicles to tow my CD22, the first to be eliminated was Chrysler/Jeep. We finally chose a 2015 Ford F150 with the 2.7 liter eco-boost, tows 7600#, to tow both our CD22 and an RV.

The Subaru comparison is right on. We have a 2004 Forester with 172k miles that is still running strong. If there had been a Subaru that could have towed what we need...............
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody seen the videos/pictures of the Jeep Watercar? It is called a Panther. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Cool
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "panther" is very interesting--but apparently the only thing "jeep" are the doors! The kit--ready to install the Honda engine, and VW transaxle--which apparently can be street licensed, is only $126,000. The unit complete with the Honda engine, and VW Transaxle, plus graphics is only $155,000.

Basically a fiberglass "hull", with Hamilton Water Jet--

Yacht tender in some areas? If you have a deck big enough to put this on, then maybe you could afford the Panther..

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in college and for a few years after, I owned a CJ-5. It had a Buick V-6 with a 4 or 6 speed, I can't remember, plus a split transfer case and a Hi-Lo 4&2 WD. Loved that little rig. I pulled a ton of trailers with that. One that weighed about what my 22 Cruiser weighs. It was a 26ft Kawanda rowing dory. and then we loaded it with canoes and kayaks and drove from SE Washington state down to the Oregon coast at, you guessed it, Cape Kawanda, and back.

I never really compared my 22 Cruiser to the Jeep, but I sure would compare it to the VW bus. Can't say I ever slept in the Jeep. Might have, just don't remember doing it, at least not on purpose. Embarassed Laughing

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

BTDT

City/Region: Grand Lake Oklahoma
State or Province: OK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C- Lark Wine Down
Photos: C-Lark
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DW and I have owned jeeps for most of our lives. My wife use to race a V8 powered CJ-5 when I was stationed at Ft. Lewis WA in the late 70's. We also owned a specially equipped 'rock-crawler' that took us to so many tread-lightly places that most people will never see, especially as the government keeps closing off these areas to hiker's only. We still own a 1947 CJ-2 Willy's Jeep Overland with the classic WWII look.

To me , a C-Dory 22 is the floating equivalent of a CJ Jeep. It's small in stature, big in heart, and can go just about anywhere the owner has the guts to take it. That said, I have become a 'little' spoiled in my 'golden-years, and prefer the comfort and ride of the Tomcat.

Edit- I forgot to mention that I have found that short wheel base vehicles like the CJ/Wrangler are not generally good tow vehicles because of their short wheel base.

Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These last 2 posts have brought back a lot of memories from my days of being a fanatical 4X4 enthusiast.

Harvey - my first Jeep was a 1967 Willies Kaiser Jeepster Commando. It had the Buick V6 as well. No seat belts. Hit a bear trap(hole in the ground camouflaged with leaves and sticks) once. 3 guys onboard - 3 heads hit the windshield - 3 melon shaped bulges in it! Right front wheel was in the hole, left rear wheel was in the air. After assessing the situation my 2 friends hung on the left rear bumper to level the vehicle and I backed out. Oh to be young and fearless again!

John - I worked for American Motors from 1974 - 1980. Loved the CJ's. With the 304V8 they had the power to turn some big wheels. By 1977 I had saved enough and decided to order a pickup - the black "Honcho" model. My boss came to me one day and said that a guy was trading in a FJ45 Landcruiser. He had just bought it and didn't like it because its turning radius was too wide for bush trails. He got a CJ5 and I bought his Landcruiser which was less than 4 months old. Drove it daily for 26 years - still have it - wife says she is going to bury me in it. Smile Most of the old trails around here have been closed as well. One has a shopping mall and subdivision on it. Others have been closed to all motorized vehicles. And others have just been closed because whoever owned the land is afraid of lawsuits if somebody is hurt.

Sorry for the reminiscing ramble.
Rob
westward

C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Steady Eddy
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't personally think much of Jeep products (nightmare history of reliability and safety issues), but I love how they look. I saw recently that Jeep will introduce a Wrangler pickup truck by 2017. Go online and take a look; I think it looks ruggedly awesome in a simple/utilitarian way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: