View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Scuff buster bow anchor protection Reply with quote

In another thread the subject of protection of the gel coat around the bow roller, was brought up. I had already considered making a sheet metal SS device to protect the gel coat, from my Boss, anchor--but it was not the only one which risks dings--Danforth and Fortress, can, Delta can, the Ronca, Vulcan, etc all can.

Jay from HunkyDory had some material on his boat--so I asked him what he was using. He told me about "Scuffbuster".

https://www.keelguard.com/megaware-scuffbuster/

Here is my application process--and you may come up with some different and better ways.

The metal is 22 gauge polished 304 SS. The polished side is protected with a membrane. The 3M adhesive on the back is also protected. The center is slightly relieved to allow a straight bend. We made a paper pattern to see how it would best fit and give protection. I had several dings--the biggest was about 2 x 3 CM. I filled these with white gel coat--not quite a perfect match (but couldn't find my pigments (That is the danger f "cleaning up a garage--you cannot find anything after". I faired the new gel coat, and then did a light scuff with 100, 200 and 300 wet sand paper.

The "tools" necessary are the Scuffbuster, a 5/8" dowel (could use any round item about the same size). A 2 to 3 lb rubber mallet, sand paper, make a templet, have paper towels, isopropyl alcohol, for cleaning, Lacquer thinner for 5200 clean up. 5200 for the edges. Pencil. Q tips for detail clean up around the new SS. Masking tape to keep the 5200 off the gel coat outside of the Scuffbuster.

The adhesive side of the Scuffbuster:

With Marie holding the wooden dowel in the center, I gradually bent up the sides, keeping them flat. You want to "over bend", so that the metal will stay in place while the adhesive is setting up.

Do not put an 5200 on the rim of the SS which does not have 3M adhesive on it, that 5200 will end up in the center of the area.

Draw the lines where the bow piece with fill (put it in place, or use the templet, after sanding and cleaning well with the isopropyl alcohol.

Then put blue masking tape right at the outer edge of this line, to keep form getting 5200 on the gel coat. I laid a very light bead of 5200 all around the outside of the area where the Scuffbuster was going to finally sit.

I didn't take any photos of the beating with the mallet of the protected SS. But there were dozens of sold blows over about 5 minutes. I made sure one side was secure, then tapped the entire piece of metal back, and then let go on the second side. After these had made good contact and were holding well, I worked on the very bottom, where there is a strake. We were able to work the metal down close to the gel coat so there was no more than about 1/32 " gap in the front and lower areas-virtually no gap on the sides and most of the top. Center top, maybe a 1/16" gap. Then I filled any gap with 5200, worked back into any potential void. Then scraped off any excess 50200, cleaned with lacquer thinner on paper towels and Q tips.

Here is the result: Port Side:

From ahead:

And Starboard Side:

Is it going to stay that shiny? If so, I didn't need it! But I believe this will give me protection from any potential dings by the anchor.

Could have I made it cheaper, starting with a sheet of SS of 18 gauge 304? Absolutely, but if I consider some value for my time--probably not, and this looks fairly good.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, as I thought you would do, well done & posting your application, should make for others thinking about doing this, a much easier process, then when I did it some time ago.

Jay

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the smaller version that goes over the bow eye. It is finally beginning to peal off after 5 yrs. The 3M adhesive is giving out. I'll have to either get new adhesive or buy another one.
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay, Thank you,
"localboy" There are several other options--one is to put 5200 under it, put some hot glue around the edges to hold in place, until the 5200 sets up. (I have done this with other applications, and this is on occasion done in auto body repair. Another option would be to just buy some of the 3M adhesive. I was not sure which way I would have gone, if Jay had not told me about the Scuffbuster.

Probably the 3M 3M Scotch 5952 VHB would be the best tape to use.
Jasongalbavy

City/Region: Kitimat
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Another G
Photos: Another G
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job Dr. Bob.

I was thinking about this exact upgrade. If I don't do this I will be applying a Kevlar cloth strip with Cold cure along my keel.

Jason
localboy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Probably the 3M 3M Scotch 5952 VHB would be the best tape to use.

Yep. Thanks. I just have not done anything on the boat since November. Once it starts to warm up here, I'll repair it.
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it!! Nice job Bob, I'm putting in an order for one.

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunkydory wrote:
Bob, as I thought you would do, well done & posting your application, should make for others thinking about doing this, a much easier process, then when I did it some time ago.

Jay

Hi Jay,

Just a couple of questions for you on the "Scuff Buster"
1. How long have you had it on?
2. I would expect yours is made of the same material (304 Stainless) as the current issue. How has it held up as far as the stainless goes? Any rusting or pitting noted?

I have some 304 stainless on my boat and I am seriously disappointed in the lack of "rustless shine" on it.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

hardee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, Thank you for the excellent documentation and pictures. Looks really nice. Do you know what the 3M adhesive on the back of the Scuff Buster is?

Thanks,

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

hardee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found Jay's response to my question in the thread:

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=22638&start=45

Here is the photo from Jay's application:

and his explination,

Quote:
"Its held up for about 7 years now. I had to cut to modify for fit on the top one & that was easy to do. The thin stainless is strong enough to protect the bow from the anchor, yet still easy to bend or cut for fit. The 3M built in glue has like, I first said, held up well so far. With your ability to work with most anything, you might want something more permanent, but for me it has worked out well. Here’s a link to one place it can be purchased."

Thanks Jay, You are steps ahead of me.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

thataway

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Bob, Do you know what the 3M adhesive on the back of the

Harvey, the nearest tape I can find is the 3M Scotch 5952 VHB. The KeelGuard also has an adhesive. This specific one works well on both fiberglass and plastics, as well as SS. The backing looks the same as that on the back of the Scuffbuster.

I think that using a thin bead of 5200 under the outside edge, will help both adhesion, and prolonging the underlying adhesive--by keeping both air and salt water from intruding into this crevice. Also if moisture gets in there, during freeze/thaw cycle (as in the PNW) it will decrease adherence.
localboy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll agree with Dr Bob. The tape held great but I did not seal it off. It began peeling off last year. It's important to shape the SS so it "squeezes" the hull but that makes install with the 3M stuff a challenge. I also think the bow roller pushing on our install sped up the peeling.

I will seal it this time though.

We also installed a Keel Guard and it has held up nicely; no de-lamination. The Keel Guard came with a small tube of clear liquid that is to be coated on post sanding and prior to the 3M adhesive, sort of like a primer. I can't remember if the anchor SS came with that or not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: