The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Outboard Choice - Redux
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Poll Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  

If you were equiping your C-Dory today (new or repower), what brand of outboard(s) would you choose for main power?
Evinrude
20%
 20%  [ 24 ]
Honda
40%
 40%  [ 49 ]
Johnson
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
Mercury
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
Suzuki
10%
 10%  [ 12 ]
Yamaha
20%
 20%  [ 24 ]
Other
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 120

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike: You asked-

"What about the whiskey burner?"

I say drink the whiskey and run the Evinrude on the bogus fuel the Wallas rejected! Wink (Oh no, not an other Wallas fuel discussion!!!) Cry

Although the polling may not be complete yet, there are some trends. I'm not sure I can include a properly spaced table/spreadsheet here, so here are the results so far as compared with last time. The brand is followed by the first poll percentage, then the second, then the percent change.

Evinrude 9% 17% +8%

Honda 52% 40% -12%

Johnson 5% 4% -1%

Mercury 2% 4% +2%

Suzuki 9% 11% +2%

Yamaha 19% 21% +2%

It looks like Honda has lost 12% of our membership's preferences along with a 1% dropping for Johnson, with the primary recipient being the new Evinrude E-techs with a +8%, and a 2% gain each for Mercury, Suzuki, and Yamaha.

It's even more dramatic when you figure the % change from the former percentage, for example Honda had 52% and dropped to 40%, so their proportional percent change is

40/52= 0.77 x 100 = 77%, meaning they have 77% of their former following or lost 23%.

By the same method, the changes of all are now:

Evinrude 17/9= 1.89 x 100=189%, or an 89% gain.

Honda 40/52= 0.77 x 100=77%, a 23 % loss.

Johnson 4/5= 0.8 x 100=80%, a 20% loss.

Mercury 4/2= 2.0 x 100=200%, a 100% gain.

Suzuki 11/9= 1.22 x 100= 122%, a 22% gain.

Yamaha 21/19=1.11 x 100= 111%. an 11% gain.

These show the relative percentage gains and losses as compared to the previous survey thus far.

My guess is that the general consensus is that the new E-techs are looking pretty interesting to our C-Dory fans, and that Honda has lost some of it's following due to its slowness to update the mid-range engines from 40 to 90 hp. I'll bet their market share recovers somewhat after the anticipated update. Wink Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
DodgeRam

City/Region: Vancouver Isl. CANADA
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: SeaRam
Photos: SeaRam
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in BC Yamaha rules not because it a the best engine, but because dealer network is in every corner. By the way, one of the reasons Honda is such a big seller is it incentives on a lower interest when you buy Honda so have been told. Gary
DodgeRam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I ordered my 2005 C-Dory my gut feeling was to have twin 50 E-TECH , I even told my dealer to cancel my Yamaha. But I got a little scared cause in January 2005 Evinrude dealer did not have the engines yet. So I did not want to wait for them, but now I regret my decision. Cause I beleive that E-Tech is the future of Outboards, and it won't be too long before all other MFRs follows in thier foot steps. Gary
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:
Although the polling may not be complete yet, there are some trends.

Yeah...and the trends, along with the current poll data, provide very little information that is useful in determining outboard selection.

The only outboard choices that are available to every potential new C-Dory purchaser are those sold by the factory - Honda and Suzuki. Therefore, beyond these two manufacturers, any other outboard selection for a new boat relies on local availability and support - very few folks order a bare boat, and have it rigged at a non-C-Dory dealer. So...I could care less what somebody in another state/area would buy, as the decision is most heavily influenced by what they CAN buy.

Add to that, the poll doesn't differentiate between C-Dory models or whether you want a single or twins, so the perspective for each voter is completely different. As has been pointed out already, the technical differences between the manufacturers' offerings varies widely depending on the three power ranges a particular C-Dory uses (40-50, 75-100, 135-150.)

So...about the only thing I'm convinced of, is that Dodges still suck... Mr. Green

Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da Nag wrote:
So...about the only thing I'm convinced of, is that Dodges still suck... Mr. Green

I just had to see that again.

Don
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a long time I was bewildered as to why Da Ford guy never bothered to point out that Cummins Diesel is 51% owned by Ford Motor Company, and the only reason Dodge is still allowed to use their engines is because of contractual obligations. Then it occurred to me that perhaps he knew the reason they bought it. That being, once the contract term expires, Ford can use the Cummins and once again regain the majority of the heavy passenger truck market. Ford is still the domestic sales leader in the overall light truck lines with their F Series, but that's only because the F150 is the most popular. They are trailing Dodge slightly in the 3/4 ton line, and losing big time in the 1 ton market, the latter of which is the only one I am interested in. GM, well, some people still buy those once in a while. So, to say Dodge sucks is rather silly when the other two guys are sucking a lot further back on the proverbial udder.

Now then, when Dodge can't use that Cummins any more, they got a pretty good replacement in the works from the Mercedes Benz folks. And by that time, Toyota will have overtaken the F150 in sales, and Ford will be relegated to the proverbial hind one. Nevertheless, I will probably then buy a Ford to get the Cummins.

DodgeRam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't no were you got your info about fORD owning 51% of Cummins that funny. Check it out trhought (Cummins) web site. Yes it would be nice one day to see a real Diesel (Cummins) in a Ford truck. I heard to the great vine that Ford is coming out with a new 6.? liter new engine again.... Even with a Cummins in a Ford truck I would rather Push My Dodge than own a Ford.
TyBoo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I made up just about everything in that post. That way I get a quiet evening while Da Nag and Sneaks are busy clicking around the WWW trying to disprove it. I used to pull that same trick on RF, but he don't fall for it no more.

The Ford/Cummins rumor has been around for a long time, and many (including me at first) believe it.
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sneaks wrote:
Da Nag wrote:

I just had to see that again.

Don

Yep, it is a true statement indeed.......the Dodges suck the Fords and Chevys up in their backdraft when they pass them on the road....that's the only way the Fords and Chevys can come close to keeping up with the mighty Dodge Wink

C-Brat #16
AK Angler

City/Region: South Central
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Rod Holder
Photos: Rod Holder
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da Nag wrote:
... the trends...provide very little information that is useful in determining outboard selection.

The only outboard choices that are available to every potential new C-Dory purchaser are those sold by the factory - Honda and Suzuki.

...the decision is most heavily influenced by what they CAN buy.

So, EVERY new owner has the option of powering with a Honda. One would think that would make Honda the most popular, and it still is. Yet the trend is that Honda is getting much less popular overall. My conclusion is that there must be a reason, like cost/performance, or available technology, or weight/performance, or color selection, or SOMETHING driving the poll.

Understand that this poll is in no way scientific, and that polls in general only evaluate opinions and perceptions. With that said, the indication that Honda is getting less popular as a power/repower choice seems like a valid conclusion to me. As to any underlying reasons why this is, I have no clue.

And just for the record, my outboard ownership includes 3 Johnsons (all 3 came mounted on used boats), 1 Gamefisher/Mercury/Force (bought from a dealer), and a Clinton (saved from the trash). But while my local dealer sells both Honda and Evinrude (and Johnson), I voted for the E-tec. Conclude what you will from that. Mr. Green

89CD16A- The Navicula has been sold...
Redƒox

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have gleaned, I understand the new E-Tech is far more sophisticated electronically than our four-stokes.
Myself (aside from not liking the high-strung 2-stoke firing frequency) my choice will remain 4-stroke over 2-stroke, for the simple reason of my faith in mechanical redundancy over electronic redundancy Idea

In the snowmachine industry, where engines are taken to the utmost limit in maximum-sustained-power delivery... there is NO COMPARISON... the 2-strokes (no matter how tough they build them) don't even hold a candle to the 4-stokes dependability. Get this: their getting 385 horsepower out of the Yamaha RX-1. Thats a 1-liter 20-valve 4 cylinder engine. Staying in tune with the "sled-head" action reveals racers literally falling in luv with 4-strokes because they don't need to be workin on them all the time as they would if they were still tweakin on the mighty old 2-stroke Exclamation Mad

The latest greatest technology reveals the gap in weight for 2 vs 4-strokes is closing rapidly every season... more are going 4-stoke than ever before. My interest has been re-inspired in high-perf'-sledding, since Yamaha is now competing with the noisy, smelly, vibrating, unreliable 2-stoke.

Sorry ya had to read all that ranting (or did ya Shocked ) Laughing just tryna enlarge the subject a little Teeth

out... poof** Bat
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AK Angler wrote:
With that said, the indication that Honda is getting less popular as a power/repower choice seems like a valid conclusion to me. As to any underlying reasons why this is, I have no clue.

Yup, not disputing the conclusion. In fact, our registration data goes along with the polling trends as well.

Code:
2005 C-Brat Registrations

Honda    44 (55%)
Suzuki   10 (13%)
Yamaha   11 (14%)
Johnson   1 (1%)
Evinrude  4 (5%)
Mercury   1 (1%)
Other     9 (11%)
-----------
Total    80

2004 C-Brat Registrations

Honda    52 (69%)
Suzuki    7 (9%)
Yamaha    4 (5%)
Johnson   4 (5%)
Evinrude  1 (1%)
Mercury   0 (0%)
Other     7 (9%)
-----------
Total    75

2003 C-Brat Registrations

Honda    49 (73%)
Suzuki    4 (6%)
Yamaha    6 (9%)
Johnson   0 (0%)
Evinrude  1 (1%)
Mercury   1 (1%)
Other     6 (9%)
-----------
Total    67

My only point is, the raw data, as collected, is pretty useless for purposes of determining which brand to go with in a particular situation. The fact that Honda is losing C-Dory market share is obvious, but for which boats? And in which markets?

To me, I find the results interesting...but they would carry very little weight in my personal decision making process.
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AK Angler wrote:
So, EVERY new owner has the option of powering with a Honda. One would think that would make Honda the most popular, and it still is. Yet the trend is that Honda is getting much less popular overall. My conclusion is that there must be a reason, like cost/performance, or available technology, or weight/performance, or color selection, or SOMETHING driving the poll.

I voted for the E-tec. Conclude what you will from that. Mr. Green

No, just every new owner who buys from the factory. My dealer here in So Cal offered Yamaha only.

I too voted E-tec because the poll asked if I had the choice and were buying new right now. But I would certainly want to thoroughly check out Red Fox's 2 stroke buzz claim before plunking down $$$$

Don
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't really have any fish to fry in this fight, but I am continually amazed by all the fuel this Mercury doesn't burn. I went down to Anclote Key today (mouth of Tampa Bay) a 22 mile one way trip and burned only 10.3 gallons upon return. On the way back (left before dawn on radar) I skimmed across the flats inshore of the flats fishermen in their ultra high-buck high-tech flats boats and their mouths were agape (either they couldn't believe the shallow draft or I spooked their world record tarpon -- oh well . . .). Coming from 220, 200, 175, 90, and 88 2-strokes, the economy great (no matter what brand). If the E-tech can match or better it with dependability, so much the better, but there is one other factor RF mentioned: quiet. It is also hard to get used to actually talking to someone instead of shouting and that has been a great thing with these 4-strokes. Of course I realize my Merc has a Yamaha powerhead, but the Merc lower has some advantages too:

Pic: sliding the keel upriver on sand with power (no Hondas etc., allowed . . .)

TyBoo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me thinks we oughta wait until the poll has run a little longer to be comparing results. It looks to me like the only brand pulling Honda's share is Evinrude, which of course is the new ETech.

But that's not what we're here for...

In deference to the Sneaky one, I must admit that Chevys are good for something, namely, smashing brush:

But, as is so often necessary, the big Dodge is standing by to tow the Chevy out when it gets stuck:

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Poll Archives All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: