The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Outboard Choice - Redux
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Poll Archives
View previous topic :: View next topic  

If you were equiping your C-Dory today (new or repower), what brand of outboard(s) would you choose for main power?
Evinrude
20%
 20%  [ 24 ]
Honda
40%
 40%  [ 49 ]
Johnson
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
Mercury
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
Suzuki
10%
 10%  [ 12 ]
Yamaha
20%
 20%  [ 24 ]
Other
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 120

TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Outboard Choice - Redux Reply with quote

We've had some time to think it over, and there have been a whole lot of new boats rigged this year, so let's see what difference 7 months make. The February, 2005 Poll on the same question can be viewed here.

Same quetsion and options:

OK - you are getting new power for your C-Dory, for whatever reason. Which brand are you going to buy? Same drill as the last poll: 2 stroke, 4 stroke, single main or twins, it doesn't matter. Who is the manufacturer?

SENSEI

City/Region: Stanwood
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: SENSEI
Photos: SENSEI and SERENITY
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if I were going to repower or buy a new boat I would definatly look real seriously at a Evinrude ETEC
I currently run with the Evinrude 90 FICHT and love it.

1993 22 Cruiser (sold 2014)
1995 22 Angler (acquired 2016)
1983 22 Classic (sold 2017)
DodgeRam

City/Region: Vancouver Isl. CANADA
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SeaRam
Photos: SeaRam
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running twin 50hp Yamaha 2005 4 stroke EFI ,very nice moters. If I had to repower it again it would be with no hesitation twin 50hp E-TECH . Gary
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll admit it...voted for Yamaha, even though I'm content with my Honda BF90. Honda seems to have lost their edge on the low end...charging capacity stinks, and they seem to be the lone holdout on EFI.

I can live without EFI - the simplicity of carbs might even be seen as an advantage to some, but the wimpy charging capacity of the alternator (16A) really bugs me. An afternoon of heavy downrigger usage will drain my primary battery by more than 25%...and that's after a 45+ minute ride back home at 5K RPM's. I'd snatch up an after-market alternator in a second if I could find one...

Went with Honda for one reason - it was the lone option at the time from the dealer/factory that had a known good service history, and a wide support network. Suzuki wasn't an option yet, and I wasn't willing to be a guinea pig for the newly released 2-stroke E-TEC.

Sure would be nice if the factory picked up Yamaha...

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill-

Thanks for the confession!!!

Hope all the other Honda owners can also "see the light" sooner or later.

I bought the Yamaha without hesitation when they went with EFI in 2005. Would do it over again. Absolutely great motor.

When Honda adds EFI, ups the alternator to at least 25 amps, and modernizes and lightens those Civic engined 75 and 90 models, they'll come back to being a viable choice again.

The Suzi 90 would be another great alternative if the dealer network weren't so thin.

You can do your penance now. 100 "Hail Honda"s while facing the West (Far East) at Sunset.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're starting to make a convert here now.... Embarrased

Mine were on the boat when I got it 3 years ago and run fine. If I repower, I'll sure take a hard look at alternatives...

Mike, if I want to change my vote, how do I do it..??

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
TyBoo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mike, if I want to change my vote, how do I do it..??

Wait six months until the poll on this never ending question comes up again.

My EFI Honda has a 40 amp alternator. I turn the motor on, use it, and turn it off. I still have to vote for a history of dependability.

How long - and this is a genuine question because I have better things to do than look it up - have these new "industry leader" brands been making the four stroke outboards? I suspect that many manufacturers are making them now only because they have to, not because they can do it better. Honda never made anything else.

I don't have the knowledge or technical understanding to rate the design merits of these motors. All I know is that Honda has never let me down. That, and the local USCG Zodiacs all sport Hondas. The local USCG never lets anyone down, either. If the TyBoo 25 had a Yamaha of adequate power and dependability when I bought it, I would not look to change it nor complain about it unless it gave reason. But I would still vote Honda in this month's poll.

Oh yeah - and if anyone wants to argue the merits of a timing chain vs. timing belt, don't try to persuade an industrial mechanic that metal-on-metal in an oil bath is better than a self lubricating fiber belt running in cool air. (I won't really argue anyway. That is just a little preemptor for RF. Wait until you see the zinger I got in store for Flagold and his Mercurys.)
Da Nag

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Wolf wrote:
Bill-

Thanks for the confession!!!

Hope all the other Honda owners can also "see the light" sooner or later.

Well...the Honda light is only dim for CD22 single owners.

The real tough choice comes when you look at CD25 and Tomcat options - the playing field levels considerably. Both the Honda 135 and 150 have plenty of charging capacity, EFI, and the largest dealer network out there. They're much more competetitve than in the 75-90 field.

Another area Yamaha seems to be a very strong contender - CD22 twin setups like Gary's, and CD16's. The Yamaha F50 has EFI, and 17A of charging, compared to carbs and 10A on the BF40/50. Being built on the F60 block, it weighs about 25 lbs. more than a BF40/BF50, but I'm guessing that's not a huge deal...

Last edited by Da Nag on Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rock-C

City/Region: Salem
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: Rock-C
Photos: Rock-C
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confession of a die hard Honda fan.
Well I did it ! I traded in me Honda and got myself one of those high powered Yamahas. It has 1600cc. & 99 ft. lbs of torque. I won't be hangin it off the back of my C-Dory though. This one came with two wheels and a set of handel bars. As for the boat, I'll stay with the trusted Honda BF90.

Da Nag

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock-C wrote:
I traded in me Honda and got myself one of those high powered Yamahas. It has 1600cc. & 99 ft. lbs of torque.

Sheesh...hook up a hitch, and that thing will tow better than a Dodge...
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyboo: I'm ready -- fire away . . .

PS: it does seem the vast majority would buy engines other than Honda . . . (and must be pretty happy). So the CG is using Hondas on a few dingys are they? Might want to scroll down to "Outboard Motor Communications" at: http://gov.evinrude.com/map.html OMC has been the major supplier for many years, and if the CG pulls up in a real boat, it won't have a Honda on it.

I do like Hondas though, they make excellent dependable quiet dredge motors.
TyBoo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
PS: it does seem the vast majority would buy engines other than Honda . . .

No. no, no. The linked site simply says: "All Government Agencies can purchase Johnson and Evinrude outboard boat motors..." It does not say they do. All I am pointing out here is on the CG vessels designed for outboards (these are 25' dinghies), at least on the Columbia, the Mercurys are being replaced with Hondas. I don't profess to know why. Furthermore, you'll notice the link is gov.evinrude.com, not evinrude.gov. Big difference. It is an advertisement.

Here is an official version, where it states:

The United States Coast Guard (USCG) has procured 100 Homeland Security Response Boats (RB-HS) and is in the process of procuring up to 700 Small Response Boats (RB-S), both are manufactured by SAFE Boats International (SBI) and comprise the “Defender Class”. These boats are powered by twin Honda 225 hp 4-stroke outboard engines and are assigned at approximately 200 Coast Guard units located on the East, West, and Gulf coasts as well as all five Great Lakes, Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and Guam. Currently, these boats are being delivered at a rate of 3 boats per week, therefore, these engines will become the most prevalent propulsion system in the Coast Guard.

They're also putting M-60 machine guns on the Honda powered response boats. Maybe that's in case somebody questions their motor choice?

Quote:
...and if the CG pulls up in a real boat, it won't have a Honda on it.

Yep. You got me there. The real boats have Cummins diesels, but since Sneaks hasn't entered his horse in this race yet, we can leave that one go.

I liked your picture! We just tonight watched that movie, Space Cowboys.

Now you gotta quit takin' this so personal like. It's all in fun. I'll be hanging onto the zinger until you cool down a little.
Salmon Slayer

City/Region: Juneau, Alaska
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1981
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Holly May
Photos: Holly May
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just repowered from a 112 Johnson 2-stroke to a 90hp Suzuki 4 stroke and am very, very happy. I have had great luck with Suzuki on my last boat and this one is quiet, has seemingly more power than the Johnson, and I couldnt be more pleased. I am still breaking the engine in but its been a jewel so far.

To add fuel to the fire though, the local Coasties here in Alaska do use Hondas on their Rigid inflatables but curse the carbs due to the cold weather here. I would not look to the government as a benchmark in picking an outboard. Most purchasing decisions are monetary and not related to any real performance or reliability comparison ( I am active duty military myself and see this first hand).

Where did all those years go?
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, you should combine the Suzuki and the Johnson ratings together as the Johnson is a Suzuki with a beautiful white engine cover with a "red racing" stripe that matches the vessel "Sea Shift" (white with red trim). Wink

Of course, I didn't go for just one Johnson, I purchased two big Johnsons!
Smile (and yes, I'm still lovin' 'em CoolSmile )

C-Brat #16
TyBoo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got nothing against them Yammis, but you gotta wonder why it takes three to do what one Honda would do. Holy jumpin up and down Johnson, that's 750 hp on a boat no bigger than mine!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Poll Archives All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: