The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cruisn' the Keys
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob&Alicia

City/Region: Athens
State or Province: GA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Photos: Bob&Alicia
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: marinas/dockage Reply with quote

We mostly dinghied to shore but I think you will be able to find plenty of places to dock. From Key Largo down to Bahia Honda you should be OK. After Bahia Honda you’ll probably need to jump down to Key West to get a wide variety of marinas/dockage.
The Waterway Guide will be good for Marinas. Many of the restaurants do have docks. We would call ahead in the afternoon and ask about dockage and most were good to tell us where to go on their docks. Many times it was not obvious who “owned” the dock so I always felt better calling the restaurant and asking for their recommendation on docking.
There were days we never left the boat. We just enjoyed the water and quite of the anchorage and just ate sandwiches.
I’ve also anchored near other boats and invited my neighbors over for cocktails and then hitched a ride with them to shore. Met some really nice folks that way.
I could spend an entire week never going any further south than Islamorada. The bay side islands that make up the Everglades National Park, who’s border runs very close to they keys, provided some fun scenery to just tool by at 5 kts.
Thought your truck looked like a Z71. I am looking at a Chev/GMC 2500 series. Mid 2000’s. Not going to be my daily driver but for the C-Dory and my Scout Troop trailer. I’ve never owned a diesel and have had several people tell me they are not the best choice if you only use them a couple times a month. Looking at the 2500HD with that monster 8.1L engine and a 4.1 rear end. The gas mileage specs are not much worse than the 6.0L. I figure once you start looking a 9 or 11MPG what does it matter they are both terrible.
Hope you guys have a great trip. Please let us know where all you go.

cdory25

City/Region: Flagler Beach
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Shoal Mates
Photos: Blues Cruiser
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruisn' the Keys Reply with quote

Will-C wrote:
Back in the boat I would head back out under the bridge to the gulf side and head the 10 miles or so and stay a night at the Bahia Honda state park lagoon. Nice spot. Long walk to the showers but a beautiful place. From there I would continue on the inter coastal up through Bahia Honda and Big Spanish channel and on to Florida Bay. This will be the prettiest part of your trip don't miss it. Make a left when you reach Florida bay and it's about 30 miles down to Northwest channel which will take you right into Key West. You will be on the backside of the keys with land in sight. We usually stay at the City Marina at Garrison Bight. Have fun.

Some of the cruising sites I've visited say to take HC from Channel Five to KW, that there is no ICW past there. Is there a marked channel on the backside past C5? I'm traveling with another couple in his 25' Carver that draws 3.5 feet.

TIA
John & Karen
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just watch your chart going on the outside. You should be fine--most of the way if you are running in at least 25 feet it will be fine. The shoals are well marked, and the visual navigation is easy with the clear water.

We run on the inside only to go to specific areas--but most of the time going to Key West, just keep that depth sounder on 25 feet or more. Keep the eyes open.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Will-C

City/Region: Temple
State or Province: PA
Vessel Name: Will-C
Photos: Will-C
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject: Cruisn' the Keys Reply with quote

You can go down Hawk Channel from Channel number 5 but that is not all that scenic depths run about 20' or more. Just keep an eye out for the gazillion fish pots and or lobster traps.The back route to Florida Bay is well marked as you go up Bahia Honda Channel to Big Spanish Channel and on to Florida Bay and then making a left and heading the 30 miles to the entrance of the northwest channel which will take you down into Key West. I'm not sure but I thought there was a magenta line showing the way at least to Florida Bay. If your not comfortable putting together the route with way points to follow you might want to just go down Hawk Channel. Going down the back way should not be a problem with a 3.5' draft. It's beautiful but will take longer than just making a beeline down Hawk Channel. I'm going down the back way from Marathon on Monday if the weather is ok. I don't know where you will be, but I can give you a heads up about the magenta line thing then. Happy Trails,
D.D.

cdory25

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Cruisn' the Keys Reply with quote

Will-C wrote:
You can go down Hawk Channel from Channel number 5 but that is not all that scenic depths run about 20' or more. Just keep an eye out for the gazillion fish pots and or lobster traps.The back route to Florida Bay is well marked as you go up Bahia Honda Channel to Big Spanish Channel and on to Florida Bay and then making a left and heading the 30 miles to the entrance of the northwest channel which will take you down into Key West. I'm not sure but I thought there was a magenta line showing the way at least to Florida Bay. If your not comfortable putting together the route with way points to follow you might want to just go down Hawk Channel. Going down the back way should not be a problem with a 3.5' draft. It's beautiful but will take longer than just making a beeline down Hawk Channel. I'm going down the back way from Marathon on Monday if the weather is ok. I don't know where you will be, but I can give you a heads up about the magenta line thing then. Happy Trails,
D.D.

No way! If it's doable, we're going the inside route. We're staying at World Wide Sportsman Sunday night so it sounds like we'll be a day behind you. We will be trying to gather some "local knowledge". Once we're in the water we'll know how far we can go in a day and make a plan. I've got my Garmin, just updated, and some paper charts and a week get in trouble. Anyway if we catch you I'll buy you a drink for the help.

Thanks!
John
Will-C

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Cruisn' the Keys Reply with quote

Monday looks like some rain but Will-C. I would think you might want to come down past Marathon and spend the night at Bahia Honda about ten miles past Marathon. Then Key West is a pretty easy to make from Bahia Honda. Big nautical flea market today Islamorada. I'll you a buzz late this evening unless happy hour gets the best of me.
D.D.
Will-C

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Cruisn' the Keys Reply with quote

Before you go into Pennekamp check out Evelyn's Restaurant on the right hand side headed towards Key West. Just enough room to get into the front lot with a boat on the trailer usually, great local food. Their seafood burrito is the bomb ($15) lots of seafood big enough to share and their other prices are pretty reasonable. Locals and the Police eat there.
It's about 50 miles to Marathon from Key Largo and another ten to Bahia Honda for your reference. Thunderstorms are predicted for Tuesday currently. Winds are looking about 15 to 17 mph out of the south east. We have been on the boat since early Feb and there have not been many calm days.
D.D.
cdory25

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the water at Pennekamp! Saw Evelyns but we went to Gilbert's Tiiki Bar under the bridge. My buddy's brakes went out on his Ford so we're done for tonight but headed out in the morning.
Will-C

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Cruisn' the Keys Reply with quote

It looks like we will leave Marathon tomorrow morning. The first half of the week the weather looks pretty peachy mostly sunny maybe a shower or two winds 8 to 12 mph out of the southeast. The wind is forecasted to pick up a little on Thursday. We are going to be in the A&B Marina in Key West in the down town area for Monday and Tuesday. It's a little pricey but has a great location. We will run back north to Marathon on Wednesday in the am. Happy Trails!
D.D.
cdory25

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave

Still a day behind...Leaving Islamorada this morning, stopping at marathon this afternoon/evening then staying on the hook at Bahia Honda Lagoon. World Wide Sportsman is such a cool place, don't want to leave. I posted a picture of the fire eating belly dancers on FB last night. Keeping in touch. Would love to see your new boat so we can't miss each other forever. Got to show the Mrs what's next.

John
Will-C

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Cruisn' the Keys Reply with quote

We are in Key West till Wednesday am or longer if the weather does not cooperate. We are at the A&B Marina. Call me when you get in town.
Got kind of fugly coming down Northwest Channel this afternoon. If you walk around the harbor walk we in plain view dark blue R.T. with dark blue camper back parked next to some gigantic yacht named I Got This
A 25' C-Dory named Grey Beard passed us a little ways before we came across Florida Bay earlier today. I'll send you a pm with my phone number.
D.D.
cdory25

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to post last night but was using my phone and must have hit a wrong button because after typing on MY PHONE for fifteen minutes I must have hit the wrong button because it disappeared, so I said F it! I was tell you about the fire eating belly dancers. Wow! Of course we ate at Ma's....

Anyway, yesterday at World Wide Sportsman in Islamorada was fantastic. We got there early cause it was a short trip from Pennekamp (where we had a blast Saturday night except the brakes went out on my friends Ford truck. That place rocks (WWS). So after a late start, as usual, we journeyed down he inside coast line of the keys to Marathon. I only ran aground once. Had to get ot and push. My buddy got a crab trap caught in his prop. We stopped at a couple places in Marathon for lunch but kept getting turned away due to no boat parking left. I could have squeezed in anywhere but my buddy's Carver is huge. (We have more room inside) We ended up at Bahia Honda State park. We we're supposed to be on the hook tonight but its awfully windy here. They say its the worst in years but it doesn't seem too bad to me unless your in the ocean. We're headed farther down tomorrow and see how far we get. I falling asleep. Tomorrow!

A Blue 22' named Vagabond is here too but we got in late and they weren't around.
cdory25

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: headed back to Pennekamp Reply with quote

We're on the way back and have been holed up in Marathon due to SCA. It's time to get back to the real world. Current conditions are moderate chop, winds NNW 15-20 kts in Hawk Channel. Will the reef protect me? Is it dangerous or just a rough ride? The bay side looks bad, HC not so much from shore. Is it protected all 50 miles to Pennekamp or are there reefless sections?
Will-C

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: Cruisn' the Keys Reply with quote

John,
The wind is coming across the gulf from the north. The reef runs the whole way. A small craft advisory is enough for me to stay put. If I had to do it I would try to hug the shore as you should find it the smoothest and the most protected from the wind as you have it blocked by the land more or less. Wind is predicted to blow from the north at 15 to 20 mph. Currently 13 per my phone. It s your call. A schedule can be a dangerous thing when you are cruising. Safe Travels,
D.D.
cdory25

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trip from Marathon to Key Largo was 50-60 miles of moderate chop. Little wind in the AM but perfect day after Channel 5 (11am). I was a little nervous because we got caught in Small Craft Advisory out on the Okeechobee once and it was pretty rough. It also taught me how tough these little boats are. Anyway, moderate chop was well, moderate. We came up Hawk Channel about 500 yards off shore, just fast enough to get er up on plane, cranked up the stereo and loved the ride and the scenery. Now I can't say as much for my friend in his open boat. But we made it and were laughing about it at the "Big Chill" by Happy Hour. We're back at John Pennekamp State Park for a couple days then we'll load up and head back to Flagler Beach for Bike Week. Still undecided on St. John's Gathering.

I want thank all the C-Brats that helped us plan and execute this little adventure, especially Will-C who although they have graduated to Ranger Tug status, still hang with us regular people. I'll do a summary with some pictures at a later date.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: