The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Jeep Latitude Towing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gene&Mary

City/Region: Seattle/Center Island
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Linnea
Photos: Linnea
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:14 am    Post subject: Jeep Latitude Towing Reply with quote

Has anyone towed a CD22 with the Jeep Latitude?

The specs say it will handle 4500# with the towing package.

thanks
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Jeep Reply with quote

You are talking about the Jeep Cherokee with the 3.2 v-6 and . 9 speed auto transmission . This should be no Problem
We towed the cd -22 with a Honda Pilot with a 4500lb rating with
a 3.5 v-6 engine We also towed the cc-23 with the Honda but the rear end sagged down to much so we traded it in for a 07 Sequoia towed much better the Cc-23 weighed 1000lb more then a cd-22. good Luck with new Jeep .Jim

00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
Gene&Mary

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks......haven't bought anything yet but we sure are getting sticker shock.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jeep Cherokee Latitude with heavy duty towing package does have the towing capacity of 4500 lbs, without the towing package it is 2000 lbs. This suggests to me that the 4500 lbs is marginal. I have also towed a 22 with a Honda Pilot, but for limited distances. For my current 22 I choose a Yukon, which is basically a 1/2 ton truck. Mine is rated at 8,300 lbs, with towing package. I have also put electric over hydraulic brakes on the trailer. Some of my decision to buy the beefier Yukon over a lighter SUV like the Honda, was based on my experience with the Honda.

The curb weight of the Jeep Latitude is 3,655 to 3,953 lbs. which is less than what your C Dory weighs. I feel much better with a heavy tow vehicle (My Yukon is just under 6,000 lbs. )

If it were a few blocks to a ramp, on level ground, then you most likely can do fine with the Jeep.

Remember that you are gong to have a gross combined weight for that Jeep, passengers, gear, trailer and boat. A bit of reading suggests that the 4500 lb capacity is with basically an empty Jeep, or you may exceed the GCWR--you want to determine that for yourself, and weigh the boat on trailer--as you are going to be towing it.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know your plans, but I think it would be marginal over the long haul.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: Jeep Latitude Towing Reply with quote

Gene&Mary wrote:
Has anyone towed a CD22 with the Jeep Latitude?

The specs say it will handle 4500# with the towing package.

thanks

As mentioned, your Jeep is going to come in at about 3600 pound+/- some. I'm not sure how you came up with 4500 pounds for the C-DORY but it might be possible. It won't likely be less. Could be with a single axel, aluminum trailer, no fuel or water, fill the tanks and tires with helium and throw in a dozen balloons. (My 22 Cruiser on a tandem galvanized trailer scales at 4900 with full fuel and no water).

I think it is less than safe to tow a load set up like our boat trailers, with a tow rig that weighs less than the trailer. Short distance, level ground maybe, but iffy. A big semi tractor trailer system, that's a whole different animal.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Jeep Latitude Towing Reply with quote

hardee wrote:

As mentioned, your Jeep is going to come in at about 3600 pound+/- some. I'm not sure how you came up with 4500 pounds for the C-DORY but it might be possible. It won't likely be less. Could be with a single axel, aluminum trailer, no fuel or water, fill the tanks and tires with helium and throw in a dozen balloons. (My 22 Cruiser on a tandem galvanized trailer scales at 4900 with full fuel and no water).

Mine weighs in at around 4,600#, including tongue weight. This has been consistent over a few years' weighings. I have a galvanized tandem trailer. This is with all tanks empty or nearly so, basic boating gear but no stores, but quite a few tubs of tools, etc. I wouldn't buy a tow rig "counting" on under 5,000# because I don't want to have to watch every little thing, but it's possible.

On the other hand, I'd be interested to know what "else" you have to give up to make 4,500# with the Jeep. Can you have more than the driver in the Jeep and still do okay on all the weight ratings? (Not just tow or GC, but also GV, front and rear axle ratings, hitch rating, tongue weight, etc.) Is there a provision for the max rating only being with reduced frontal area of towed item? Etc.

hardee wrote:
I think it is less than safe to tow a load set up like our boat trailers, with a tow rig that weighs less than the trailer.

Although I think the Jeep sounds meager, I don't think the tow rig has to weigh more than the tow. To me it's more about is the vehicle rated (and hence designed) to tow the load? I think anyone with a C-Dory 25 or Tomcat is towing a load that weighs quite a bit more than the tow vehicle, and those aren't tractor-trailers. OTOH, you could have a 10,000# motorhome that really wasn't suited to towing a 22, thus reversing the equation (some motorhomes can do it just fine, but not all).

Couple last thoughts: Are you going to be towing on flat ground only (Florida, say?) That's different than mountainous trips. Is it just going to be a seasonal tow to the slip, where you can empty out the boat and Jeep and just have the driver? Or are you going to be "traveling" where you want passenger(s), gear in the tow rig, and gear in the boat? Are you the type who wants to be able to load/pack/provision the boat before leaving home (weight)?

What is the wheelbase length? A shorter wheelbase vehicle will be more "active" when towing; a longer wheelbase more steady.
jennykatz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: towing Reply with quote

I see you live in WA state There are mountains to consider .We towed our cd-22 with a single axle galv trailer rated for 4500 lb.(15in trailer tires)we weighed it in at 3800-4000lb so we felt safe but we never towed in the mountains we towed all over florida (flat lands).Please take the boat to a scale and get it weighed then go from there .When we bought the CC-23 (venture hull) we upgraded to a tandem axle trailer with a 5000lb rating again we only use it for mostly maintenance and a few trips to the Keys or once every few years to Tennessee.
The new Pilots and Ridgelines can tow 5000lb .I think it all depends and how you will use your boat trailering a few miles or for maintenance .If doing long distance get a heavier vehicle a Jeep Grand Cherokee, Dodge Durango might work . good Luck in your Quest
Gene&Mary

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on C-Brat comments and reading about the Latitude transmission problems on the internet, we have ruled out the Jeep Latitude.

We started out looking at the Dodge Durango and promptly got sticker shock. The last car we purchased was in 2004 and haven't had any car payments for about 6-7 years.

We are now back to a Durango/Yukon/Tahoe/Suburban type SUV or an F150 type truck......maybe used.

Thanks for all your comments.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a 99 suburban with almost 200,000 miles on it. It still runs and drives great and will pull the C-Dory 22 pretty well. It doesn't even leak or burn any oil at all. My wife still loves the old thing - which is great! My only beef is the pillow like ride and handling, but lots of folks like that. Anyway, they are good dependable rigs, with enough towing power, and dirt cheap when a few years old.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine weighs 4800 Lbs. Take a look at the Toyota Highlander. It's rated for 5000 lbs. That's still not much leeway, but I've been quite impressed with how well it has worked for me. And I've towed my CD-22 with it out west twice, over the mountains. Colby
ghone

City/Region: Nanaimo
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree the Jeep would be marginal, for 22's a half ton p/u is fine, my '07 F150 Lariat has lots of margin to tow a loaded 22 or 23
If you plan to go to a bigger boat say cd25-26 in a few years, buy the bigger truck now so you are set later
I like to buy about 3 model years old, major depreciation has already occured and lots of life left
I plan to restore my F150 at 200,000 km instead of replace, as it gets what it needs now it will be lots cheaper to restore than replacement
George
jennykatz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject: cars Reply with quote

Go look at Dave Smith in Kellogg Id. Great prices In Florida we have Returnleaseonly that has 1-2 year old cars and trucks for very reasonable prices. good Luck with Quest. jim
Gene&Mary

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a good (foolproof) way of determining whether a used vehicle was not in a flood or wrecked or used is an area that uses salt on their roads?

thanks
Captain Bella

City/Region: Port Angeles
Vessel Name: Irene
Photos: Bucket List
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene&Mary wrote:

We are now back to a Durango/Yukon/Tahoe/Suburban type SUV or an F150 type truck......maybe used.

Thanks for all your comments.

We towed our 22 Cruiser, which was very close to 5000 pounds trailered on the scale, with a 2000 Suburban. It was the 4 x 4 version, 3.73 if I remember correctly, and 5.3 V-8. I believe the towing capacity was 7200 and we were well within the GCWR.

The Suburban towed VERY well and felt safe. We even towed it from Michigan to Washington, with the boat and truck LOADED to the max. Not once did we feel concern about the truck being in control.

If I could do it again, I probably would have skipped the 4 x 4...and the maintenance that it brings...but that Suburban was great. I wish I could have found a suitable one for my current boat/trailer.

Best Wishes

2006 Skagit Orca 27XLC
2006 C Dory 22 Cruiser (re-homed)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: