View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:18 pm    Post subject: New Radars Reply with quote

Panbo yesterday's blog, discusses several new radars from Garmin and Furuno.

http://www.panbo.com/archives/2016/02/furuno_nxt_garmin_fantom_doppler_marine_radar_is_here.html

Basically now Garmin, Furuno, join recently released RayMarine's and long standing Navico (Lawrence, Simard, B & G, new doppler solid state radar. There are some new and interesting features, including differential colors if the other vessel on the Radar is moving toward or away form your boat.

These are all using very low power--such as 25 watts instead of 4 KW of power. (Pulse). Or 40 watts to replace 6 KW!

Garmin's first products are 4 and 6 foot arrays. Furuno is a dome display. The Raymarine Quantum is a domed antenna. Furuno appears to be also releasing an open scanner series also. Garmin, is probably not far behind with a dome (cheaper!) series also.

More to be announced from Miami in the next few days!

There is more at The Hull Truth:

On the Garmin:

http://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-electronics-forum/733783-new-garmin-gmr-fantom-series-radars.html

And on the Furuno:

http://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-electronics-forum/733967-furuno-nxt-solid-state-doppler-radar.html

There are also exciting new technologies in the depth sounder;/forward scan fields, which are just on the horizon.

Bring $$$!!!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this also and it is very exciting stuff. Just waiting for it to scale down and hoping it will happen quickly enough to remain compatible with recent systems.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our Raymarine chartplotter, sounder and radar are now 11 year old technology, but so long as they still work, probably not going to change soon. The chartplotter is supplemented by iPhone, iPad and Android tablet with Navionics, I might upgrade those to some product that incorporates Active Captain though. I did not understand Jeff's post on AC earlier to say that my 11 year old C80 was somehow going to now be able to use ActiveCaptain data, or did I misunderstand that?

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I did not understand Jeff's post on AC earlier to say that my 11 year old C80 was somehow going to now be able to use ActiveCaptain data, or did I misunderstand that?_

Pat, my understanding, is that any chart plotter which uses current C map chart chips, should be able to show the Active Captain. Basically, the "new" charts, will have the Active captain data embedded in the map it downloads from the chip.

If the plotter does allow current C Maps to be downloaded, it should show the Active Captain data.

The RayMarine Quantum Radar can be found from $1339 to $1600. The Furuno DRS4D-NXT has a sticker price of $2500, but several places have it for $1900. The full 4 " away is about $7,000, but no announcement on the small dome type yet. It will take a few months to see this sorted out, as far as best product. But that all of the major manufacturers have digital, (Chrip/Dopular, etc) now makes the field a lot different. I believe that only the latest MDF can use these radomes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: