The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Great Product for fog light option
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RogerJuntunen

City/Region: Rupert, ID
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: In Cahoots - Idaho
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: lights at night Reply with quote

Hi C-Brats, and a quick story. I guy and I were talking about boats recently and he said the Coast Guard academy used to teach this---"when all three lights I see ahead, I turn to starboard and show my red, green to green, red to red, Perfect safety go ahead. I don't know if this is true or how long ago it was, but I enjoyed the story and the character I was talking to.

We hope to do some serious cruising this spring and summer, but I can't make real plans until I get my lighthouse dates for Stuart Island. We hope to see you all and safe travels. A bit of good water news. We are loaded with snow in Idaho, and may be even able to do a aquifer recharge this spring. We have over ten feet at the local ski resort so look out Columbia- in three months, here it comes! Roger

capt. meares

City/Region: Tillamook
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Vianey
Photos: Vianey
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just added two new photos of the light in my album. I made the error of calling this a "fog light". Did not intend to confuse anyone. Whatever the correct word may be, fog light, search light, spot light, What have you....I have a VERY bright LED light. Without getting too scientific and carried away with geometrical angles and formulas, I will again say, after many experiments in the dark, through trial and error I have got this particular light adjusted to the one perfect spot that has nearly no glare or back flash from any of the many shiny objects in front of it. The top cross bar on the bow rail makes a shadow about 50 yards out. This same bar is the only thing that the beam slightly hits on the way out, and even then very minimal.

Among the many reasons I placed this light in this location, one is because I really like how it will be out of the weather and not in the way of anything.

I don't plan on blinding other boaters, but there likely could be times where it will be needed. A friend of mine in the past was locked outside the Tillamook Bar and had to wait until tide change before the Coast Guard would open it back up. By this time it was dark. He had radar, but no lights. Even with radar, I still do not want to ever have to do this in the dark, as he did.
Brewkid

City/Region: Whidbey Is
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SCALLYWAG
Photos: Scallywag
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, apparently opinions very, but I like it! Thanks for taking the time to upload the pictures.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt Meares,

Thanks for adding the photos. Looks like a good job. I agree that there are times when a light like that could come in handy. I wouldn't be running with it on all the time, but there are times.

BTW, I like your T-Shirt in the B-Day photo, too.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: