View previous topic :: View next topic  
DutchCs

City/Region: WAUSAU
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Aeolus
Photos: Aeolus
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: Stiff Steering Pivot Reply with quote

The steering pivot on one of the twin 40 Mercs on our 22' cruiser is difficult to turn. With the steering cable disconnected, the motor is stiff and pretty difficult to rotate by hand. The other engine easily rotates smooth as silk!

I've pumped LOTS of grease into the zerk and pushed clean new grease out the top, but it's still really stiff.

I'm thinking maybe the steering pivot or bushings are corroded and I may need to pull the engine and steering pivot. Looking for suggestions for simpler things to try first?

Aeolus 2005 CD 22 cruiser
Twin 40 Merc Bigfoots
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need to make sure the grease is getting all the way around the bearing. Most Zerk fittings are only on one point of a bearing. In another situation some equipment I worked on had problems with the bearings. You could pump grease in it till the grease ran out, but it didn't solve the problem. Only after taking the thing apart did we find that the grease in the bearings had dried out and was preventing the new grease from flowing all through the bearing.

Once the the bearings were removed, cleaned, and repacked the problem was solved.

Not saying that this is your problem, but it is something you might check.
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy,
I too have had this issue with a few outboards in the past. The offenders were Yamaha's but they, like the issues that SoBelle talks about, were a pain to resolve. The installed zerk fitting on these outboards was near one of the bearings, but not hear the other.
Heat around the offending bearing can resolve this and allow fresh grease to flow, as it should (this would be the one well above or below the zerk fitting). There is a plastic bearing surface at the top and bottom of the engine's mid section swivel and a bit of heat from a heat gun may soften the hardened grease to allow new grease to take care of business.
I have had to use a propane torch to resolve several of these issues in the past, but if you take this action (or even a heat gun), be sure that gas, gas fumes or other flammable matter will not be anywhere near your work area.
One of the 90 hp Yamaha's would not free up, even after the heat, so I carefully drilled a hole in the mid section, in-line with the bearing and installed a zerk fitting. Problem solved, without disassembling the engine at get to the offending bearing.
You can view the details of your engine's mid section bearings, by looking up the parts details of your outboard engine at boats.net

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
DutchCs

City/Region: WAUSAU
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Aeolus
Photos: Aeolus
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I'm checking out engine drawings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: