The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Doing Recon

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coniferous_Wrecks

City/Region: Prince of Wales
State or Province: AK
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Doing Recon Reply with quote

Hello Folks!

I'm new to the forum, and looking at getting into my first C-Dory. First boat, in fact, unless we're counting canoes and row boats?

I'm leaning toward the 19 Angler. My wife and I have a 2 year old daughter and an 8 year old dog, just settling into southeast Alaska and are looking for something we can get out into some of the more remote areas for some fishing, crabbing, and on-board camping.

Cheers everybody!
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard. It seems not all that long ago, with only canoes & a rubber inflateable for past boat experience we were looking for & then purchased a CD 22. That short time ago has turned into 13 boating seasons of which the majority was spent in SE Alaska waters. From the start we felt a C-Dory was the right boat choice for us & thought a CD16 would best match our planned usage of it on lakes & rivers. Then we started dreaming of exploring SE Alaska waters too & felt the smaller CD 16 just wouldn't fulfill the dream. For your usage with couple, child & dog aboard, I would highly recommend the better size boat choice to be a CD 22. I don't think the price difference would be all that much, but room for you all to move around, storage & overnighting huge with also many more CD22's out there to select from. On the other hand there are C-Brats here that have been pleased with there CD 19, that boat in the PNW, still I think the majority would agree with my opinion of the CD22 being a better choice for usage as you described.

Jay

Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do well with a 19 (highly customized) for 3 aboard but I would not add a dog underfoot in that space. If you canvased in the cockpit like we did, it would be doable depending on the dog and your patience for it but generally.... Look at the 22 cruiser or angler models to start exploring with family and dog and consider the rear canvas as well. The Cruiser allows for indoor cooking, the angler has more fishing and outside space (more camping like). The helm forward is the same on both boats and power/tankage is also roughly the same and more dependent on model year.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some are satisfied with the 16, but with dog and child, it will not work all that well.
The 19 and 22 are similar as to the first 19 feet of the hull. That extra 3 feet makes all the difference in "livability" Many of us spend a month or more at at time (even in AK) on the 22. One couple lived aboard and traveled all over the US, Mexico and Bahamas, on a 22. My feeling is that the 22 is probably the best compromise for a young family.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Jackie

City/Region: Ketchikan
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lil' Bit
Photos: Lil Bit
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Southeast. There is an older 22 Angler for sale in Ketchikan for $16,000. It is listed on the FB group boatcycle as well as on the SE Craigslist. They say it has a 50hp on it, which I thought was a bit underpowered, but it might be worth looking at.

I have no vested interest and don't know the seller, but I'm looking for a 16ft Cruiser myself (sold my husband's 22 ft when he passed) and happened to notice the ad.

Jackie
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the group man. Btw, I like your username. I had to Google it but now the etymology makes sense. Conifer>>>Coniferous...

I just bought a used CD 19 about a week ago so I can't comment on her yet! Before that I had a CD 16 and enjoyed the boat a lot. She was very seaworthy, easy to launch/retrieve (if you don't have a slip) and FUN. Although I moved up to a bigger boat I would have been MORE than happy to keep boating on the 16 if I didn't get a good sale price on her. C Dory's have a great resale value.

Now, seeing that you're in AK and have a family I think a 22 would be in order for you. You'll need more space with a small troupe like you have, plus dog! I'm sure a 19 would probably fit the bill as well BUT children have that weird thing that they do called GROWING. Lol.

Good luck with your search. Don't hesitate to ask questions either; C BRATS is an amazing group of guys. Plus there's a high percentage of retirees !! So, they are quick to respond! LMAO!!
chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why mess around? go for the 30 foot cat

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
Coniferous_Wrecks

City/Region: Prince of Wales
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa... great feedback! Thanks!

In talking with my wife (Happy Wife, Happy Life), reading your suggestions, and doing some more research, I think we're going to aim for the 22 Cruiser.
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: 22 Reply with quote

Excellent advice, and a great choice.
In the long run, the '2-foot-itis' problem is more expensive than getting the 'right' boat the first time..
You are also wise to realize that "If Momma ain't happy, ain't Nobody happy."
Happy hunting, and keep her happy!
John

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice so far.. I agree too. Unless your dog is a pocket size, and your child is going to be content to stay in the V-Birth until you are ready to sell the boat, you are going to find a 16 way to small, and a 19 mighty pretty cozy. And as you just posted, thinking of the 22 (Cruiser) would be a really food idea. The ladies usually like to have a warm cabin, in out of the weather and a place to wash or make something warm occasionally.

You didn't say what you were planning to do on the boat, fishing, cruising, etc, but you can do that with 3 on board easier on the 22 Cruiser. Also, it will give more storage space availability.

That 22 with a 50 on it that was mentioned, might be a good deal but it is under powered. If the boat is in good shape, and the OB is OK, get the boat, pull the motor off and sell it for a chunk off the price on a new Yamaha. (Just sayin.)

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: CD-22` Reply with quote

When we bought the cd-22 cruiser it had a 50 hp Honda on it with 3 big adults top speed was 15-16 mph cruise at 10-12 on plane . maybe the Angler would do a little better being 200lb lighter .I think for safety sake i would opt for a larger engine .We put a 90 hp Suzuki on her and it flew 36mph 18-20 mph cruise . Buy the boat (if it passes survey) and trade in motor Good Luck in your Quest Jim
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: