thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navionics states that OS7 on up is not fully compatible with the older downloaded charts. One reason to have the subscription is that Navionivs App is updated weekly (so they say--and I don't know how much--they only show yearly data on the web site.) Navionics has "community edits"---basically a take off on Active Captain.

There has been a "war" between Garmin and Navionics for at least 18 months. It started when Navionics did beta testing on a program which would allow sonar updates to Garmin Blue Charts, on a person's individual chart plotter (as it does on a Navionics based MFD. This could have been worked out--but now Garmin also has this feature. Soon Active Captain can be displayed on the Garmin Chart plotter. There has been a partnership with Active Captain and Garmin. So do you want Active Captain, or community edits? I have not tried community edits. Anyone compared the two, who has the most recent Navionics? If so, how do they compare with Active Captain (which I really like).

As a result of this "War" at least some fisherman became anti Garmin. I was in West Marine recently--and the specific sales person, was really pushing Garmin.

Garmin, Lawrence/Simrad, and RayMarine are all coming out with price point chart plotters, with CHIRP Sonar Down/Side View. The first two are back ordered, and I have not seen the RayMarine unit. I did play around with the current models, and still thought Garmin had the easiest interface. I wanted to compare this units which will be on close out, with the new units. The choice of mobile app may influence your purchase of the chart plotter/sounder, because of the ease of routing on the tablet, and then wi fi transfer to your chart plotter.

Not sure I want to spring the @ for updated Navionics. I am going to use the old Navionics on the St. John's--see how it works, and compare to Garmin's app.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
BrentB

City/Region: Greenwood
State or Province: IN
Photos: BrentB
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using Aqua Map and no experience outside of Charlotte Harbor
see
http://www.globalaquamaps.com/AquaMarine.html

Larry Patrick

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea -Jo
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just purchased navionics late last season,hope it works after year is up. Wasn't sure about that wording,guess you still get basic charts?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry, It appears that the charts should be OK as long as the OS does not change too much. NO updates, unless you pay for them. But NOAA are free. Most are at least a month or so behind..some 6 months. Depths--is going to be interesting, with all of the input from individuals.
Gene Morris

City/Region: Eureka CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Reef Madness
Photos: Reefmadness
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Thataway mentioned a 1 amp charger will not be sufficient to charge the tablet and run a program. We originally had a 2.1 amp charger, when the tablet was plugged in and running Navionics the indicator showed a discharge. We just purchased the "PowerGen Dual USB 4.2A (20W) Car charger Designed for Apple and Android Devices" from Amazon. It has a USB port for apple products and one for non-apple products. With only the Samsung plugged in it delivers 4.2 amps. And charges the tablet with out a problem. If two items are plugged in it distributes 2.1 amp per outlet.

Gene

Larry Patrick

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea -Jo
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob good to know.
BTDT

City/Region: Grand Lake Oklahoma
State or Province: OK
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C- Lark Wine Down
Photos: C-Lark
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use SkipperPro on my iPads and iPhones and last month they came out with a new free version 3.0 i.e:

In Skipper 3.0, we totally changed how the free version works. We abolished the “Trial Mode,” and now most Skipper features work even if you don’t subscribe. Now, the free version of Skipper lets you browse charts online, make routes, record trips, and more. This is much more complete than the simple chart viewer offered for free before.
Upgrading to SkipperPro gives you the following capabilities:

Download charts for offline use
Keep charts automatically up-to-date
Download other map sources for offline use
Use ActiveCaptain data and features

I like to download charts and routes, and overlay topographic maps for shore adventures. Add the Active Captain integration for anchoring and marina information plus ongoing updates, and I think pretty its hard to beat the $10 a year price, not to mention I have access on any apple product via email address and password.

South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after much research and then second guessing myself.....I ended up buying a new Nexus 7 (2013) model. It is WiFi only but has the internal GPS so it should work great for the Navionics app and others.

I was close to buying an iPad Air2 but couldn't justify the price since it'll be primarily used for the boat and I'll probably never use it anywhere else. I have a new phone and laptop; don't need a expensive tablet. I bought the Nexus 7 for $50 , brand new from a lady on Craigslist! Couldn't pass it up!

I'll be buying the Navionics HD app for $50. Can't wait to try it on the water....
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loops like Waggoner is offering a seminar on the topic.

http://waggonerguide.com/ipad-navigation-technologies/?utm_source=Waggoner+News&utm_campaign=ea85515ffd-Waggoner_News_2_16_162_16_2016&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ef6b3dfd1a-ea85515ffd-120273073

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Greg, for passing that along. Don't know if there are any others from around here that might be interested but in case, send me a PM and maybe we can share a ride.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Catch 22

City/Region: Lynnwood
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Catch 22
Photos: Catch 22
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use navionics on a mini I pad and love it. My buddy just got a boat and so he just baught a mini I pad and the navionics app. For some reason its not tracking his movement though. It shows where he is when he opens the app, but when he pushes "track start" it does not show speed or movement or the yellow line. Any ideas? Under privacy setting he does have location services on for the app....
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order for an iPad to navigate, it must be a cellular model. The phone service does not have to be activated for the GPS to work.

The GPS chip is part of the cell service chip, so without the cell service feature, there is no GPS.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catch 22 wrote:
I use navionics on a mini I pad and love it. My buddy just got a boat and so he just baught a mini I pad and the navionics app. For some reason its not tracking his movement though. It shows where he is when he opens the app, but when he pushes "track start" it does not show speed or movement or the yellow line. Any ideas? Under privacy setting he does have location services on for the app....

If he bought a wifi only model iPad Mini, it isn't going to work without an external GPS. If it is a wifi/cellular model, it should work fine without having subscribed to a cellular carrier.

I have used an iPad Mini as a backup chartplotter since that model first came out - great size!
Ordutch1975

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Boatless :-(
Photos: PennyBridge
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My frustration with Navionics is that you need a license for everything, your phone, iPad and MFDs. Vs one subscription that takes care of it all. Wonder if I can share my "freshest data" with my new unit or need another license for my in progress boat.

I use an iPad on my runabout with navionics since my fish finders display is only 5 inches. Sonar and charts on a 5 inch split screen is almost impossible.

H

"And it is an interesting biological fact that all of us have, in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch it, we are going back from whence we came. " -JFK
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a 4.3" Raymarine Dragonfly 4 on the pontoon we have at home. I generally use it on chartplotter mode with a depth readout (and speed/heading/water temp), and switch to the fishfinder mode (chirp) when I want to see bottom contour and texture. You can make a smaller screen work, and even split it, depending on the circumstances.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: