View previous topic :: View next topic  
drbridge

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Susan Marie
Photos: Susan Marie
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Do Rocna Anchors self launch Reply with quote

We are in the process of upgrading our anchor system. We haven't done a lot of anchoring so far. We spent 26 nights on our C-Dory last season, but stayed on mooring buoys and Marinas most of the time because we were not confident in the system we had. 180' of 3 strand rode that seemed to kink and twist all the time and 20' of chain together with a 7.5KG Bruce knock off and a windlass. Anchor would not self launch so it was a bit of a pain.
We have ordered 300' of 8 plait rode with 25' chain. We are looking at trying a 10KG Rocna Anchor. The shape of this anchor looks like it might self launch with the standard bow roller. We would like to hear from other Rocna users if indeed it will self launch with standard bow roller or if a hinged Bow roller will be necessary to accommodate the self launch.

Thanks

Doug & Susan
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a self launching design for most bow rollers and if the shank of the size you choose will fit the roller you have, there is a good chance it will work. More details on dimensions here:

http://www.rocna.com/product-range/boat-fit

We use the smallest 4kg size on our 19 and I am very happy with it. I preferred to use a smaller model and add extra chain for abrasion resistance and better scope management. We have 35ft or about 50lbs of chain on our Rocna and it holds very well for us. We are still using our standard small bow roller and while I did need to modify it slightly, it works well and self launches pretty readily. The heavier models with similar chain would do even better due to the added head weight.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?full=1&set_albumName=album2026&id=20140315_114729_resized&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My era of 22 had a smaller roller than the later ones (but not sure when switch was made so not sure which you have). I have a Manson Supreme 15#, and as I remember it, the shank would not fit the bail on the smaller roller. Also, it just seemed a bit too puny to me. I upgraded to the roller that was used on (at least) the 2008 22 Cruiser. Chose it because Sam Landsman (Retriever) had the same anchor and the roller worked well for him. Only difference is I got the model with a longer deck channel portion as that way it would run pretty much all the way to the (future) windlass vs. having a gap of open deck in between.

I haven't used a windlass yet, but my guess is it will self-launch as it would definitely do so "manually" if I did not secure it!

There is a bit more detail in this thread, if you are interested. Although the photos at first are "broken," I went back and re-added them later in the thread so I believe all the information is there. Also, I faff about a bit for the first page or so, but then ultimately do fit a roller -- with photos and part numbers.

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=18642
Not For Hire

City/Region: Cadillac, MI
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: Not For Hire
Photos: Not For Hire
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2004. The stock roller was designed for the claw that you have. I went to a Delta and then a Rocna for the bower. I switched to a longer bow roller prior to the Delta and it also works fine for the Rocna 10 kg. It is longer than '04 stock with a taller bail but it is not hinged. Afraid I have sort of an anchor collection. However, El and Bill anchored out about 3000 nights on a 22 with your current anchor set up (minus the twists). Technique counts for something.
Regards
Mark

NewMoon

City/Region: Holladay
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: Cindy Sea
Photos: Cindy Sea
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how applicable this is to the CD22, but:

I had a 7.5kg Bruce on our 26-footer. It worked pretty well over many years (we do have lots of practice on anchoring technique), but I wanted something a bit more quick to set in difficult bottoms, and with greater holding power.

Switched to a 10kg Rocna a few years ago, and the improvement was quite impressive. It sets so quickly and solidly, even in some kelp, that the boat comes to an abrupt stop.

A very nice unexpected benefit was that the Rocna will always self launch, which the Bruce with its straight shank would never do. The bow roller is a non-hinged flat Bruce-style unit, BRM-2 ??

Cindy Sea (CD 22 Cruiser, from 1991 to 1998)
"Cruising in a Big Way"
Phil Barnes

City/Region: Colorado /San Juan Islands
State or Province: CO
Vessel Name: Swan-C
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Do Rocna Anchors Self Launch Reply with quote

We have a 1992 CD 22. It came with a Windline BRM-2 anchor roller and a 15 lb Lewmar Claw. It worked ok but didn't self launch. I changed to a Rocna Original 13 lb and found that the anchor would not stay in the Windline BRM-2 anchor roller on retrieval with the windlass. I changed the anchor roller to a Lewmar for Delta style anchors with a bail like this: http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|2276108|2276122|2304756&id=934530

This roller with the bail kept the anchor where it should be on retrieval, on launch and while running.

I chose the longer roller which is about 23 inches long to provide additional distance between the point of the Rocna and the bow. One surprise was that the Rocna blocked a lot of my forward view when on plane due to it's shape. I will be trying a Manson Boss this coming season, which has a different shape and should be lower and more out of sight when in the roller and on plane.

The Rocna is a great anchor. Set quickly and held well. And it self launched beautifully. Just took up too much of my forward view for my liking.
Phil Barnes

City/Region: Colorado /San Juan Islands
State or Province: CO
Vessel Name: Swan-C
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Do Rocna Anchors Self Launch Reply with quote

Here is the link that should have been in the above post for the bow roller:

http://www.lewmar.com/node/11630?v=25261
NewMoon

City/Region: Holladay
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Cindy Sea
Photos: Cindy Sea
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have mentioned that adding a bail to our BRM-2 bow roller was an excellent improvement. The bail makes sure the rode does not jump out of the roller if we're bouncing around some while at anchor. I'd very much recommend having one.
breausaw

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Triple J
Photos: Triple J
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our anchor will not self launch either so the first time we set I open the front middle window and push the anchor off with an extended boat hook (plke pole), works fine. Then when we pull anchor I stop when the anchor is tilting forward a bit, then it will self deploy next time. Some here I'm sure would say this is unsafe, but we drop anchor many times in a weekend and have never had a problem.

2007 22ft C-Dory Triple J 2007-2012
2007 25ft C-Dory Triple J 2012-2018
Boatless for now but looking
drbridge

Vessel Name: Susan Marie
Photos: Susan Marie
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all this information. It is very helpful.
After reading the Rocna literature on their anchors I am now not so inclined to oversize with the 10KG Rocna. their claims are that the Rocna 6 will be completely adequate for our 22 in the harshest conditions and even discourage over sizing.
Yesterday I downloaded full size templates from Rocna of anchors we are considering. That includes the Rocna 10 and 6 and the Rocna Vulcan 6 and 9. It is very cool that they have these templates available. I came to the conclusion that our current bow roller at 15 1/2 "" overall was not going to accommodate any of these anchors. I even put the Rocna 6 template on plywood and cut it out because it looked like it might fit, but when in the retrieved position the tip of the plow was about 1/4" from the bow. Since We will have to have a different bow roller any ways, we have opted for a hinged style that should self launch our Bruce anchor or any other anchors that we may try in the future.

Doug & Susan
Moxieabs

City/Region: Cape Neddick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Widget
Photos: Widget
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a hinged style bow roller as referenced above, but had a local machinist drill for a ball detent lock pin to be installed to lock it in the up position in case the tilt ability was not needed for my particular anchor (which it was not needed). Can be pulled out, is on a SS cable so not to be donated to Davey Jones' locker nor to clunk in the night while at anchor. Change style of anchor, it will self launch with any type.
hardee

C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SleepyC has the hinged launcher in that last link, and with the Delta, it would not self launch until I had the launcher drilled to move the fulcrum, stretching the launcher out about 1.25 inches farther forward. Works perfectly since then.

I am really considering either the Rocna original or the Vulcan, but the curve of the Vulcan makes me nervous about the proximity of the point to the surface gel coat.

I'm pretty sure the Manson Supreme will fit, but would prefer to not have the arch sticking up on the bow.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: