HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

My mid-winter adventure...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
South of Heaven

City/Region: Sharon
State or Province: MA
Photos: Blue Water
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: My mid-winter adventure... Reply with quote

So, I'm leaving tmmrow morning to pick up my new (to me) 2003 CD 19! This is gonna be quite the adventure....

The deal is done. I'm buying the boat tmmrow, I'm gonna be paying cash actually. I'm not overly excited about that aspect of the deal but the owner said he preferred it that way and I honestly can't blame him. Even with a certified check from the bank I could definitely see how the payee could be a little bit nervous about the transaction. Cash is always good. Lol. SO, I obliged his request....

I've spoken to him at length on several occasions starting back in November (I think). Plus we have been texting and emailing almost everyday since I sold my boat. LOL. To make a long story short, the boat is legit. Everything checks out with him. He has taken great care of the boat and has maintained it properly. He is a "hands on" type of guy and has down all of the motor work/maintenance himself. He even furnished me with receipts of the impellor, thermostat, EVERY jug of engine oil, lower unit oil, ethanol block and Yamy Ring Free additive that he's bought since he has been the owner. I'll be the 3rd owner but since he has had it it's been babied (hopefully before too). He said he has never had a hiccup with any system of the boat (famous last words!).

BUT obviously I'm STILL VERY NERVOUS!!!!! I'm essentially driving down to Long Island, NY tmmrow and buying the boat! No compression test, no sea trial, no survey......

That's why this is an adventure I guess......As far as the towing goes I should be fine. The trailer is mint. It's a 04 Magic Tilt, aluminum tandem axle. He hardly used it (so he said). As of 3pm today he greased the bearings, checked the tire inflation, changed the brake fluid in the reservoir and checked all the lights. All systems are good to go. I'm estimating the TOTAL weight at 3k lbs. Although I really think it'll be like 2800 or so. The owner measured the tongue weight for me. He had it at 140 lbs...really light. I was amazed; he even sent me a photo of the scale reading. Lol. So, I'm thinking that my weight will be about 5% of the load. I'll hop on a truck scale on the highway on the way back to Boston. I'm dying to know the weight of my 19!!!

I'm driving down tmmrow afternoon and should arrive in Long Island, NY by 4pm or so with plenty of daylight left. I'm then gonna meet the owner, inspect the boat (lol) and do all the pertinent paperwork. Then I'm gonna stay at a hotel close by, have a relaxing meal with a couple of adult beverages and drive home on Thursday morning! ..............................................................................................................................

Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My mid-winter adventure... Reply with quote

Looking forward to hearing about the trip and your new baby Thumbs Up

One thing I thought of as I read your post:

South of Heaven wrote:
As far as the towing goes I should be fine. The trailer is mint. It's a 04 Magic Tilt, aluminum tandem axle. He hardly used it (so he said).

Maybe check the date code on the trailer tires. They age out, typically. Just thinking that it's possible they are old or even original (mine were when I bought my boat - trailer had hardly been used, tires were the originals from 2002). If so you might not want to tow home on them (your call of course). That said, maybe the tires are nearly new (bonus).

Have a great trip!
South of Heaven

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My mid-winter adventure... Reply with quote

Sunbeam wrote:
Looking forward to hearing about the trip and your new baby Thumbs Up

One thing I thought of as I read your post:

South of Heaven wrote:
As far as the towing goes I should be fine. The trailer is mint. It's a 04 Magic Tilt, aluminum tandem axle. He hardly used it (so he said).

Maybe check the date code on the trailer tires. They age out, typically. Just thinking that it's possible they are old or even original (mine were when I bought my boat - trailer had hardly been used, tires were the originals from 2002). If so you might not want to tow home on them (your call of course). That said, maybe the tires are nearly new (bonus).

Have a great trip!

Thanks Sunbeam. I'll check the codes (I just researched online how to do that!) although I'm pretty sure I will not be buying new trailer tires in New York.
I will however be doing a safety check every hour or so while on my return trip. I will also be bringing my gas powered Ryobi generator, small air compressor and assorted tools; plus extra straps, bungees and zip ties etc. I am absolutely in no rush on Thursday and will definitely be having a relaxed tow back. It's only about 200 miles one way.....but even if it takes me 8+ hours I'll be fine with that. Haha.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New brake fluid is great but not if the pistons dont open and close. Hell stuck open is better then stuck close.
South of Heaven

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
New brake fluid is great but not if the pistons dont open and close. Hell stuck open is better then stuck close.

Yeah, for sure. I'm told the surge brakes are in good working order.
chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the 19 be the Napolean Complex II ? Cake

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi South of Heaven,

Sounds like your up for the adventure. Sorry I couldn't do that delivery for you. Laughing Don't forget to check your hub temps frequently early on and regularly (I do every 2 hours), on the way home.

And about those bungees; Be careful, they are dangerous. Twisted Evil

Enjoy and stay safe.

Congrats

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!
An alternative to cash is direct wire to his bank. I have arranged with my bank to be ready to send upon my phone call, with a code to the bank. It usually only tanks an hour or so to confirm that the money is in the seller's account.

You have already decided about cash, which is fine.

I have purchased the majority of my C Dories without sea trial, survey or engine tests--I don't recommend this for first time buyers. But you have owned a 16, and know what to look for. So you should be fine.

Date codes are good to know--unfortunately it seems that on most trailers they end up on the inside of the tire...

If there is no spare on the trailer, then adding it will help to bring the tongue weight up. Generally 7% is considered ideal for a boat. Mine is closer to 10%, but I am running a truck.

I suspect that the 3,000K is going to be optimistic. You will have to see. Going slowly (but over the legal minimum) is going to be fine. Your plan of hourly inspection is excellent. I agree that at least touching the wheel bearings each hour is good. I prefer the IR thermometer, on both the tires, brakes and hubs. Down the line, you want to get at least one set of extra wheel bearings. I have 4 sets, just in case. I also carry a grease gun. I find that the one from NAPA is good--WalMart types are not. I also have a Lincoln pneumatic, which is a real joy to use, but I have a boat lift which needs greasing regularly
and it is a lot easier when swinging like a monkey to use the air lube gun!

It sounds like you found a great boat, and we all wait for photos. Great plan!

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
South of Heaven

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chromer wrote:
Will the 19 be the Napolean Complex II ? Cake

I was thinking about that! No, I'm definitely gonna change the name..... Chromer, a few months ago you wrote that "my time for a 19 would come". I honestly didn't believe you back then! Glad your prediction came true.
South of Heaven

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Hi South of Heaven,

Sounds like your up for the adventure. Sorry I couldn't do that delivery for you. Laughing Don't forget to check your hub temps frequently early on and regularly (I do every 2 hours), on the way home.

And about those bungees; Be careful, they are dangerous. Twisted Evil

Enjoy and stay safe.

Congrats

Harvey

SleepyC Moon

Thanks Harvey
South of Heaven

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Congratulations!
An alternative to cash is direct wire to his bank. I have arranged with my bank to be ready to send upon my phone call, with a code to the bank. It usually only tanks an hour or so to confirm that the money is in the seller's account.

You have already decided about cash, which is fine.

I have purchased the majority of my C Dories without sea trial, survey or engine tests--I don't recommend this for first time buyers. But you have owned a 16, and know what to look for. So you should be fine.

Date codes are good to know--unfortunately it seems that on most trailers they end up on the inside of the tire...

If there is no spare on the trailer, then adding it will help to bring the tongue weight up. Generally 7% is considered ideal for a boat. Mine is closer to 10%, but I am running a truck.

I suspect that the 3,000K is going to be optimistic. You will have to see. Going slowly (but over the legal minimum) is going to be fine. Your plan of hourly inspection is excellent. I agree that at least touching the wheel bearings each hour is good. I prefer the IR thermometer, on both the tires, brakes and hubs. Down the line, you want to get at least one set of extra wheel bearings. I have 4 sets, just in case. I also carry a grease gun. I find that the one from NAPA is good--WalMart types are not. I also have a Lincoln pneumatic, which is a real joy to use, but I have a boat lift which needs greasing regularly
and it is a lot easier when swinging like a monkey to use the air lube gun!

It sounds like you found a great boat, and we all wait for photos. Great plan!

I think there is a spare tire upfront. I'm surprised the tongue weight is so low. Pictures will come soon Bob!
South of Heaven

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just arrived at the hotel. It was raining cats and dogs for most of the trip. It still only took me 3h and 50m's; No traffic at all.

I'm meeting the owner at 4pm EST. He works in Manhattan and just left his office.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exciting times! Gift Gift

Sounds like you won't need this information, but just in case someone else finds the topic in a search: I did basically the same thing Thataway spoke of regarding the purchase funds. That is, I contacted my bank and asked what they recommended, as I felt it was rather a too large sum to just carry with me, and plus -- although the seller would have accepted a pre-made cashier's check in this case -- I had no idea whether or not I would buy the boat, and if so for what exact price. This was a little different than grabbing a couple thousand in large bills to go buy my typical used car (the good old days Very Happy)

My bank suggested that we do as Bob mentions, and that's what I did. They had a slightly different procedure than he mentioned but the gist was the same. I went and looked at the boat, decided to buy it, and we agreed on a price (not the asking price because a few issues were found; so any pre-made check would have been for the wrong amount). I then contacted my bank and they sent me a fax a few minutes later. I filled it in, faxed it back, and within 30 minutes the funds were in the seller's account (and the boat was mine!).

You're there with the cash now, but maybe someone else will find the info helpful.

Can't wait to see your next post!
Larry Patrick

City/Region: Dallas
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea -Jo
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Luck with purchase and travels. First boat I bought a 19ft Montauk 12 hrs away South Port N.C.,had to get it winterized . Had to keep checking the one bearing would get hot all the way home.Just got home before a winter storm.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that that tongue weight it too light. Dangerously light. I keep coming across recommended rates of 10% or more, usually more, up to 15%.

Too much weight can be a problem if the tow vehicle can't handle it. But too little weight can start a very dangerous harmonic. If the amount towed is close to the weight of the tow, or if the tow vehicle has a long overhang from rear axle to hitch, the trailer can start to steer the tow vehicle. That problem increases if you hit the brakes (the automatic reaction).

I've only felt this once in a serious way, and it was terrifying. All was going well for miles and miles until I was at about 60 mph and going down a steep incline on the freeway. The trailer took control of my truck for a few seconds while other drivers got out of the way and watched the excitement.

It could be that your original owner never made a trip like you are planning. It could be that he had a tow vehicle that didn't react much to the light tongue weight. I would think about whether it is possible to get weight forward before the trip.

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: